Can you put crix outside at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
I just got a batch of very noisy crix and they are driving me mad. Is it ok to put them outside with the temps down in the 40's or 50's?

patrickb

Juvie Member
Nope, not with those temperatures. If it were 60s then yes. But that low and they will end up dieing off. They could survive those temperatures (not sure about the low 40's) but any prolonged exposure would begin to affect their nervous system greatly and cause them to die off due to complications. You should consider switching to something like roaches if you want a silent feeder. ;)

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I got dubias breeding and 100 superworms started already but it will be quite a few months before I have enough to feed 8 dragons plus babies coming also this spring. So right now I am going thru 1000 crix every 4-5 days.

patrickb":73aee said:
Nope, not with those temperatures. If it were 60s then yes. But that low and they will end up dieing off. They could survive those temperatures (not sure about the low 40's) but any prolonged exposure would begin to affect their nervous system greatly and cause them to die off due to complications. You should consider switching to something like roaches if you want a silent feeder. ;)

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
mrjayd":a0d3d said:
Yeah I got dubias breeding and 100 superworms started already but it will be quite a few months before I have enough to feed 8 dragons plus babies coming also this spring. So right now I am going thru 1000 crix every 4-5 days.

How many babies are you feeding to go through that little crickets in 5 days? On one clutch I will go through 5 or 6 thousand crickets in 7days!!!

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
no babies yet. I have 5 over a year old and a few juvies but I am feeding other feeders also like hornworms, supers and PW's too so they get a variety.

midnight_962002":9106d said:
mrjayd":9106d said:

How many babies are you feeding to go through that little crickets in 5 days? On one clutch I will go through 5 or 6 thousand crickets in 7days!!!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry I had to laugh when I read the title to this post. :laughing6:
Forgive me I'm not laughing at you but rather with everyone else that has given up on crickets.
Now you know why so many of us have switched to roaches.

Those darn crickets don't ever shut up!

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I have dubia's and super's breeding right now but it probably won't be until the spring or end of that I can stop buying crix..... :(

fresnowitte":2744f said:
I'm sorry I had to laugh when I read the title to this post. :laughing6:
Forgive me I'm not laughing at you but rather with everyone else that has given up on crickets.
Now you know why so many of us have switched to roaches.

Those darn crickets don't ever shut up!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully your roaches and supers will grow and multiply quicker than you expect. I truely feel for you and haveing to resort to crickets. I surely don't miss their noise at all. I'm actually afraid that the next time we go camping it might drive me nuts. :lol:

How big are your supers?
I found them to grow really slow at first, :( but once they reach just over 2 centimeters they begin to
grow much quicker. Plus adding cormmeal or chicken mash to the substrate seemed to speed things up.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I just started both a couple weeks ago so I just now have a bunch of aliens getting ready to turn into beetles. I put 100 worms in the containers and only 2 have died on me and most are curled up already so I should get a bunch of beetles.
What ratio of cornmeal should I add to my oatmeal?

Thanks....
fresnowitte":aa986 said:
Hopefully your roaches and supers will grow and multiply quicker than you expect. I truely feel for you and haveing to resort to crickets. I surely don't miss their noise at all. I'm actually afraid that the next time we go camping it might drive me nuts. :lol:

How big are your supers?
I found them to grow really slow at first, :( but once they reach just over 2 centimeters they begin to
grow much quicker. Plus adding cormmeal or chicken mash to the substrate seemed to speed things up.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
mrjayd":528df said:
Well I just started both a couple weeks ago so I just now have a bunch of aliens getting ready to turn into beetles. I put 100 worms in the containers and only 2 have died on me and most are curled up already so I should get a bunch of beetles.
What ratio of cornmeal should I add to my oatmeal?
I started my supers in the end of June beginning of July and my largest ones are now about 1-1/4 inches
(3 centimeters) It seemed as if it took forever for them to get to 2 centimeters.

I add a couple of handfuls of cornmeal a couple times a week I have several 15qt. size containers. It seems to disappear fast so when I don't see much cormeal left in the substrate I add more.

Do you use just oatmeal?
I'm using wheat germ, wheat bran, scottish oats(higher in protein than regular oats), dry baby cereals, an of course cornmeal.

They are now big enough that I'd like to put them into larger tubs. I was having a problem with the grain moths and grain mites for awhile. Until it was suggested that I microwave the substrate before using it. Everything except the baby cereal, it clumps badly. So I had keep my batches seperate just incase of the intruders this is why I have several smaller containers to start.

I started breeding turks in March so I'm done buying feeders. :blob8: Well I still buy them treats like silkworms as they are such a pain don't even want that headache right now. And Phoenix, horned, butters I still purchase but my beardie food bill is now under control. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom