Budget building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have some budget enclosure tips? Looking to get something custom made, but don't have much cash. Preferably $100 or less, although I know that will be hard to come by xP

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
mckyle9423":3nfmbhmw said:
Does anyone have some budget enclosure tips? Looking to get something custom made, but don't have much cash. Preferably $100 or less, although I know that will be hard to come by xP

100$ for materials only, or are you including the lights/bulbs/fixtures in the $100? Making something "fancy" is really for your enjoyment, not the lizards, so you can save some money there.

I just built a 4x2x2 thats the most efficient size because that equals one sheet of plywood. A sheet of Plywood Oak or maple down at home depot is going to be around $50, I used finished solid Maple for the front that was another $50 something. The Plexiglas and rollers/rails were another $65. then I spent money on tile, stain, clear coat, romex, light fixtures. I also spent money on some tools I needed Dado blade and a countersink/plug cutter. Having anything built for $100 prolly is not going to happen, But I would check Cragslist. I bet you can get something you like for $100...

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
PaganDragons":1w7c8fl6 said:
I just built a 4x2x2 thats the most efficient size because that equals one sheet of plywood. A sheet of Plywood Oak or maple down at home depot is going to be around $50, I used finished solid Maple for the front that was another $50 something. The Plexiglas and rollers/rails were another $65. then I spent money on tile, stain, clear coat, romex, light fixtures. I also spent money on some tools I needed Dado blade and a countersink/plug cutter. Having anything built for $100 prolly is not going to happen, But I would check Cragslist. I bet you can get something you like for $100...

Well, any type of hardwood is going to be more costly, but it's not necessary (for the lizard). However, you are limited on a $100 budget. You can get a 4x8' sheet of melamine coated particleboard for about $33 at Lowes. A piece of 1/4" plexi at Lowes is about $40. That only leaves $27 for the front face frame, and hinges if you go the door route. Certainly do-able, but again, you are going to be limited. If you bump it up to $150, your options increase significantly. However, again it's all how you want it to look. I suspect the lizard won't care either way. :D

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Many people have used the crossfire plans to build their vivs and relatively inexpensive at that.

http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/ That's the link, you'd only need a sheet of melamime ($33-$37) and the plexiglass ($40-$50). Have Lowes (or wherever you get the wood and plexiglass) cut the pieces for you (makes life a LOT easier). Slider/tracks were about $23, you'll need nail glue and nails or wood screws (I used wood screws) and vents (2 for sides and 6 3" rounds for back = $10 total). I'd say it ran between $100 - $150 when it was done and you can put tile or shelf lining (non-stick) on the bottom.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
you could get a free dresser off craigslist and just convert it. iv see some people on here do that and it usually turns out awsome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom