Blackbearding

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok, will post it as soon as I am able to get the copy. Yes there is a hammock but he never goes on it just merely for shade/shelter.
Ok I asked because we have seen a lot of injuries from hammocks- they get their nails caught legs swell up etc

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am extremely careful with this as I put a piece of fleece material on top. Out of the 6 years going on 7 years since I have had him he has not once enjoyed being on top of his hammock ;) but I do understand the concern though. When I first got him of course the petstore told me to get him the reptile carpet. BAD. It snagged his toe resulting injury so not good. As soon as this happened took all the reptile carpet out and replaced with tile, ever since then no snags. Will keep you guys updated though. As soon as I started giving him a bit of calcium he seems to perk up and eat more along with megaray UVB. Will start to give him some b complex vitamins since there is no toxicity and hopefully he will improve.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here is the blood test results

Attachments

• Dyno test result.jpg
    Dyno test result.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 35

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He is willing to bask and is active but he is still keeping that arm turned up and every time I try to search why bearded dragons have their arms like this is early signs of MBD. I might have waited too long for the new bulb and now because I am seriously paranoid made a reminder to change his bulbs out at every 5 months. He seems to be most responsive to the megaray bulb. I would like to take him outside but it’s freezing cold and will have to wait til spring time when it starts to warm up. I am also giving him dusted calcium and I think that is helping him too. Note: he did not have this issue even after his latest fall injury but when he did fall it was only 16inches and landed on carpet floor. I always provide a little soft pillow for him to get down and up to the window. He has never had any issues til I stopped giving him calcium as I thought providing more greens would be beneficial. Noticed this only after he had brumated for 2 months.

Attachments

• IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 43

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? Have you updated your UVB light now? The Megaray MVB lights are a
good bulb, very bright & usually have strong UVB exposure.
The blood test isn't bad at all, there is no indication of infection just looking at the white blood cell
counts.
His calcium levels are normal, so if he does have the beginning stages of Metabolic bone disease,
it is slight so he should be able to pull out of it with a strong UVB light.
Is he eating even though he is having a bit of trouble?

Tracie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Thank you for reviewing the blood test. Yes, he has a new Megaray UVB. I have a UVI meter to test the output which is giving off around 4.0-5.0 directly underneath and some areas on the side are 3.0 with 14" distance from the bulb to beardie. Just want to make sure the lighting is spot on. The basking spot temperature is 95-100 degrees and the cool side is around 75 degrees at mid day. Is the cool side too cool or is that ok? He is eating but usually when I give him his favorite greens which is collard greens he will usually try to take it out of hands now its almost like "oh greens.. great lol" and usually there is some resistance to him now if he cant get the peices he will usually just kinda spit it out. I was also reading that MBD can cause loss of appetite / not interested in food so im just wondering if maybe thats why. Another thing to point out as well he did lose some grams of weight, not a lot but a few. He has been tested for parasites and it came back negative. I was able to stop by at a local store to get some baby food for him, i got butternut squash and mango to try to see if i can mix in the supplement that way. Is it ok to give him calcium everyday in case this is early MBD?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
That's great the Megaray is emitting quality UVB & that you have a UVI meter. Those measurements
are very good so he should be getting plenty of UVB right now at those distances.
The cool side temperatures should be in a range of 75-80F so it should be good, at around the 75F.
You can give calcium 5 times weekly, for now in case his stores are a little low. Just be sure to
monitor the hardness of his urates making sure he doesn't get too much. Does he like the Mango &
Butternut squash baby food?
Some just don't like their greens! Keep trying different varieties of greens, too because some are more
tolerated than others. You can also blend some up in with the baby food, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Good news he is still active and alert but still trembling in that front leg. He likes the mango and squash in fact he tries to eat the needleless syringe that I have for him. Do you think he may have Adenovirus? And is there a test to see if he may have it? Just want to rule out any other possibilties that might be causing this.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good news he is still active and alert but still trembling in that front leg. He likes the mango and squash in fact he tries to eat the needleless syringe that I have for him. Do you think he may have Adenovirus? And is there a test to see if he may have it? Just want to rule out any other possibilties that might be causing this.
Yes there is a test --- but I dont think hes got it --- you can talk to Tracie about it --

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I got him from a local petsmart since he was a baby and ever since then been on this forum and been seen by vets, in the beginning he had parasites probably due to the crickets i was feeding him then switched it out because the vet said "dubia roaches" are better and I am thinking thank you because i dont like crickets LOL they smell and make noise. The other vet didnt seem to think that either but he was saying sometimes it can give false testing or something. In other words, even if he has it there is nothing you can do except if in terms of quality of life gets real bad will have to euthanize him :( I will wait for Tracie's input on this as well.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I will also upload his other updated xrays before he just went into his little 2 month brumation period maybe did not see something because we were focusing on his breathing. Or this is all just neurological issues due to his fall/injury he had before he went into brumation. Although, what is odd is he didnt seem to be doing this after he fell.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here are the latest x-rays he had done for a 2nd opinion.

Attachments

• Dyno 1edit.jpg
    Dyno 1edit.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Dyno 2edit.jpg
    Dyno 2edit.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Dyno 3edit.jpg
    Dyno 3edit.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Dyno 4edit.jpg
    Dyno 4edit.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Dyno 5edit.jpg
    Dyno 5edit.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom