Blackbearding

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I had my beardie out on the window sill which he loves to do. Looks out while absorbing the natural heat. I noticed that he got an extremely black beard. Usually if I hold him his blackbeard goes away but not this time. Should I be concerned?
IMG-0354.jpg
IMG-0357.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I even tried offering him a tasty superworm which he goes crazy for and he was totally not interested at all.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Don't think he did. The only thing I can think of as to why he might be acting this way is the last couple days hes been showing signs of slowing down/ hiding which makes me think he wants to go into brumation and I keep feeding him so maybe hes just irritated. In Australia right now is their winter so kind of makes sense as to why he would want to go into brumation but after the 6 years I have had him this is very new. Now that he is older, seeing signs of him being more moody. Brumation and illness look very same so regardless going to have him checked out by the vet. Just hope its nothing serious.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Don't think he did. The only thing I can think of as to why he might be acting this way is the last couple days hes been showing signs of slowing down/ hiding which makes me think he wants to go into brumation and I keep feeding him so maybe hes just irritated. In Australia right now is their winter so kind of makes sense as to why he would want to go into brumation but after the 6 years I have had him this is very new. Now that he is older, seeing signs of him being more moody. Brumation and illness look very same so regardless going to have him checked out by the vet. Just hope its nothing serious.
As long as hes not losing weight and if its winter there then let him do what instinct is telling him --- keep an eye on him - let him do his thing and if he is sleeping you want to check on him about every 10 days - get a weight on him and offer him water --- NO enemas at the vet!!!!!!!! Take a fecal in w/ you please

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Also noticed something that looks a bit odd.. his position of his body. Could it be possible he is bloated?

Attachments

• IMG-0386.jpg
    IMG-0386.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-0381.jpg
    IMG-0381.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-0383.jpg
    IMG-0383.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-0385.jpg
    IMG-0385.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-0384.jpg
    IMG-0384.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 97

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the input. Also noticed something that looks a bit odd.. his position of his body. Could it be possible he is bloated?
Something is going on w/ him still black bearding -- make sure his UVB is on par and surface basking temps- 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- what kind of UVB are you using? Brand and bulb please and placement of where its at in the tank

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just checked on him this morning.. as you can see he doesn't have the jet black beard. I am somewhat relieved but still wondering why he is not moving around. He seems to be very rigid and stiff like. Doesnt seem to eager to bask. I checked his weight is around 720g. His UVB is the 14% Arcadia bulb since its mounted above the mesh screen and his temps are 95F. Could it be possible he is impacted? When he does try to go to the bathroom he seems to be a bit straining.

Attachments

• IMG-0400.jpg
    IMG-0400.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-0402.jpg
    IMG-0402.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-0403.jpg
    IMG-0403.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 87

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just checked on him this morning.. as you can see he doesn't have the jet black beard. I am somewhat relieved but still wondering why he is not moving around. He seems to be very rigid and stiff like. Doesnt seem to eager to bask. I checked his weight is around 720g. His UVB is the 14% Arcadia bulb since its mounted above the mesh screen and his temps are 95F. Could it be possible he is impacted? When he does try to go to the bathroom he seems to be a bit straining.
Please make sure hes hydrated and you can try feeding him some baby food pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce --- add a drop of olive oil - keep feeding till he poops- what would he have eaten to have him impacted ?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks will try that to see if that helps. I was feeding him superworms until his dubia's came in the mail. I was also offering him collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens (he is not fan of that), some bok choy. I am thinking maybe the super's got him impacted?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok thanks will try that to see if that helps. I was feeding him superworms until his dubia's came in the mail. I was also offering him collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens (he is not fan of that), some bok choy. I am thinking maybe the super's got him impacted?
How many did you feed? Those are treat worms I would not feed more than 3 at a time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom