Black Phoneix worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
I was feeding Fredericka, my bearded dragon some salad with worms on top and there was this black phoneix worm in the cup that wasn't moving? It was a really big one so I didn't feed it to her, just wondering why it was black?

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sauzo":3u3k98tg said:
It's going into pupae form and will emerge as a fly soon.
OH... That's nice... I'm probably going to dispose of the black ones... I don't want flies. :shock:

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
hoopyscoop":3c5et6c6 said:
Sauzo":3c5et6c6 said:
OH... That's nice... I'm probably going to dispose of the black ones... I don't want flies. :shock:

You don't need to get rid of them! In fact, when they turn black they have more nutrients in them and are even better for your beardie. They will only turn into flies if they are isolated without food or water (think of a bunch of them in individual compartments in a tackle box). They will not pupate if they are all together in the plasticware they came in.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MoonsAreBlue":33wyavvu said:
hoopyscoop":33wyavvu said:
Sauzo":33wyavvu said:

You don't need to get rid of them! In fact, when they turn black they have more nutrients in them and are even better for your beardie. They will only turn into flies if they are isolated without food or water (think of a bunch of them in individual compartments in a tackle box). They will not pupate if they are all together in the plasticware they came in.
Ok, they just werent moving, so at first I assumed they were dead, it's just they seemed bigger than the other small ones.

Their just in a little plastic cup that has like shredded something, it's by the Phoenix worm company, they don't have food in there.

Is it better to give them to your beardie with the 'dirt' stuff still on them? Or should I wash it off of them, like I do now? I'm just worried that the 'dirt' will impact her, even if its just covering the worms, she almost always has like 4 worms on her salad, and I wash the dirt stuff off, because of fear that the dirt stuff will impact her.

Though this time she ate JUST the worms off her salad and not her mango or anything... :roll:

Thanks for the advice though! :D you both were helpful!

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
They won't pupate since they're in that original container, all together. The packaging they come in is all organic and is safe for your beardie to ingest and will not cause impaction. It's a good idea to wash them off though. I bet the packaging doesn't taste too good!

In case they're not moving, the worms get more active when they're in a warmer area. I keep my reptiworms dormant in a beverage cooler and I pull out a few before feeding my dragon. I put them straight in her food bowl and then they start to move around a lot because they're getting warmer.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MoonsAreBlue":2w54j3o5 said:
They won't pupate since they're in that original container, all together. The packaging they come in is all organic and is safe for your beardie to ingest and will not cause impaction. It's a good idea to wash them off though. I bet the packaging doesn't taste too good!

In case they're not moving, the worms get more active when they're in a warmer area. I keep my reptiworms dormant in a beverage cooler and I pull out a few before feeding my dragon. I put them straight in her food bowl and then they start to move around a lot because they're getting warmer.
Ooooh. That's probably why they don't move in her salad... Her mango is cold, I know this from personal experience.. (Ahem... Like mashing it with my bare hands)

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
That might be it! Just flip over the lid that came on your phoenix worm cup and put them on that. They will generally just crawl around the edge, and they generally can't get out unless it's wet. Every now and then, you'll have an escapee, but your beardie will probably eat them fast enough.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MoonsAreBlue":1akmriet said:
That might be it! Just flip over the lid that came on your phoenix worm cup and put them on that. They will generally just crawl around the edge, and they generally can't get out unless it's wet. Every now and then, you'll have an escapee, but your beardie will probably eat them fast enough.
Alright! Thanks! But I have a question... Even in warm areas will the black ones still not move? I'm just wondering cause I had a (it was actually move blue-ish than black.) black one moving, and then another one just stayed in one spot, even after I flipped it with the tongs?

Goonie":1akmriet said:
[Moved from Feeding to Feeders]
Thanks for moving it to the right place. :)

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
hoopyscoop":1ms6uuxo said:
Alright! Thanks! But I have a question... Even in warm areas will the black ones still not move? I'm just wondering cause I had a (it was actually move blue-ish than black.) black one moving, and then another one just stayed in one spot, even after I flipped it with the tongs?

Sometimes it just takes them a while to move. A few will die, yes, but there have been times where I was sure a worm was dead and then it moved after 5 minutes or so. I find that the ones who are dead aren't black so much as they seem to be white but their insides are black and the head is still fairly light. Hope that helps.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. I am really sorry for bumping this, but I just opened the container the worms were in, and there WAS A FLY! :shock: I just didnt really expect there to be a fly, because I was told that if they were kept in the original container that they came in, they wouldn't turn into flies. And one did. I know absolutely nothing about the flies the Phoenix worms turned into, and if they are harmless like the normal house flies or not. Needless to say... It totally freaked me out, I told my mom and then proceeded to lock myself in my room. (I'm afraid of flying bugs and jumping bugs, they always fly, or jump and startle me. Unfortunely, I live with a beardie now, and have to deal with the jumping ones. Thankfully, feeding Fred seems to have slightly removed my fear of jumping bugs.) I came back out and my mom showed me that she killed it and we threw it away. I don't exactly know what to do with myself right now. I'm not sure if I should expect there to be another fly when I feed Fred in the morning.

Please calm my nerves and let me know if these flies are dangerous or not to me, or my beardie.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
They are not dangerous, in fact they are a natural insect outside. It is really easy to grow your own and not have to buy them. But there is the Ick factor. They breed and develop in compost bins. We have a tumbling composter and it is always full of them in the summer.

and Yes they will turn into flies in the container, think other poster was thinking of super worms..... description of turning them into adults is how people breed super worms.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Spike1etta":33iose8s said:
They are not dangerous, in fact they are a natural insect outside. It is really easy to grow your own and not have to buy them. But there is the Ick factor. They breed and develop in compost bins. We have a tumbling composter and it is always full of them in the summer.

and Yes they will turn into flies in the container, think other poster was thinking of super worms..... description of turning them into adults is how people breed super worms.
Okay. Thank you for helping me, and keeping me sane, I was holding in a scream when I saw the fly. So... Thank you. :)

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
Spike1etta":3v2bi69o said:

You're absolutely right. I had them confused. I'm so sorry! :oops:

I'm still very surprised that one turned into a fly on you. I thought it took them a long time to turn. How long have you had them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom