Beardies & Bonds... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
So Beardies are really solitary creatures with no need to ever see any of their own, unless it is time to breed. So with this in mind, what makes them create a bond with a human?

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
Food :lol: Once they realize you're not going to hurt them, and that you're the one that feeds them and cleans up after them, I think that bond is created.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I must agree with Lsorrent....FOOD!
Just like my grandmother use to say, "The only way to a man's heart is thru his stomach"...........well this seems to apply to pets as well. :lol:

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Also, don't forget that we're an awesome heat source for them. It's the same reason that cats like us - we're just big, heated furniture. :lol:

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's a feeling of security. I can set mine on the floor across the room and they will come to me and crawl up on me. My female has trouble going to sleep if I don't tuck her in; if I stop petting her she opens her eyes. They feel safe and comfortable with a human that truly cares for them. I'm the one that "rescues" them from the tub. When I start talking to them and petting them they lift their heads high and give that beardie "smile".

Can beardies form an emotional bond? When I was at the hospital all last week I was told that my BDs just laid around looking miserable, hardly eating or basking. When I came home they started glass dancing and burrowing. They love to be held. And I am gone a lot and can't feed them so it's not a food bribe.

People say they can't believe a lizard can be so affectionate. I know a million people would disagree with me, but I think there is some strange form of love there.

I think they definitely bond with humans. I mean, what other reptiles can you think of that will lie on you fast asleep with their eyes closed? When I put my hands up by the glass, they lick the glass. When I pick them up, they cuddle into my neck. They eat out my hand. When I try to put them back in their cage, they hold onto me for dear life and refused to get off my arm... All those things make me believe they are bonded to their owner. I think you just know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom