Beardie eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

McEntire

i just rescued two beardies about two weeks ago and tonight when i got home there was eggs in the cage i dont have everything i need so how can i let them survive for now or what do i need to get please help

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Are you sure they are male and female? Females can lay infertile eggs with no contact from a male.
Your best bet is to put them in a bag in the freezer and then throw them out. If you don't have anything to incubate them with, and they are fertile, they will die on their own.
How is the female doing? Have you increased her calcium in-take? Also, make sure she is under a good UVB source. You said they were a rescue, so she could be very low on calcium.

McEntire

Original Poster
I dont know if im giving them the right amount of calcium i know nothing about them and i feed them cricketts every other day with a powder on them i cut up various fruits and veggies but i dont powder those i will take pictures of there habitat tonight they are in a 50 gal aquarium with one heat lamp and a uvb bulb i also have a heat pad stuck to the side of the glass to warm the glass i know they are male and female and they have been together for at least 9 months that i know of about half the eggs was like yellow stones and a few was white but time i got to take them out they had shrivaled up and turn yellow on the underside of the egg i will have pictures of what i have tonight the powder is rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vit.d
ultra fine powder i would gladly except any help on how to keep them alive and well i like them and am fixing to build them a 3 story cage will have pics on it too

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
You will want to seperate them asap. The male will over breed the female which can have horrible consequences for her. You will want to dust her food 5 times per week with calcium and 2 times per week with Herptivite. The eggs don't sound fertile at all, so you can just throw them out.
Do you know what kind of UVB light they have and how old it is? Also, what are their temps and what kind of thermometer do you use?

Please read through the care guides at the top of this page under "Care Sheets and Articles". There is a lot of good info on there to help you with their care.

Let me know how the female is doing. She will definately need some good care do recover from laying eggs.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Ok you will need to feed every day there is no other day with BD's. Also without a incubator they eggs will not live. Also take him away from her he will stress her and over breed and kill her.

Also what UVB are you useing?
What is the temp in the tank? (basking spot and cool end)
How old are they?
What subtract are you using?

These questions will help us out by seeing what needs to be done.

McEntire

Original Poster
i feed every day just not cricketts and i give them greens the uvb is coil type that srews in like a bulb the thermometer is a food one that is like a probe but it is in the hot end i also have a heat rock the lamp is about 11 inches from the beardies and i only have one cage i will try to get another what is the best sand for her to lay eggs in and how much is an inubator they are both peeling how can i help this process and how do i know they are getting enough water i have a big water dish in cage with them sorry this is so sloppy i work weekends and dont have much time will get everything squared away this week they are at least a yar old thats all i know

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Take the coil bulb off of them NOW. They cause way more harm than good. Go to petmountain.com and order ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE bulbs. Get two so you can have the second for the new tank. What are the temps on their basking spot? And what are their cool side temps? Temperature is very important for reptiles to digest.
Protein should be fed everyday, even if it is in smaller amounts. It is better for your dragon's digestion. Also, dragons do not drink from standing water, so go ahead and take the water bowl out. Its a breeding ground for bacteria. You can soak them every couple of days in warm water (in the bath tub) to keep them hydrated. Plus it helps with shedding. You should also mist their salad with water - it keeps it fresh longer in their cage and provides them with extra moisture.
Subtract is meant to be substrate. That is what you keep them one - ie. sand, carpet, etc. The only truly safe substrates are tile, carpet, papertowels, newspaper, etc... things that cannot be swallowed. Reptile sand, walnut shells, and other "loose" substrates are dangerous and should be removed. Sifted and washed playsand (from Home Depot) can be safe, but still carries a minor risk.
You can provide your female with a lay box to lay her eggs. Generally a large rubbermaid will work. You should put a vermiculite and sand mix in it. Soak it until it clumps but doesn't drip and pack it down into the bin. This way she can burrow. Put her in the bin when she starts to want to dig in her cage. Chances are the eggs will not be salvagable but you can atleast make the laying process more comfortable.
In the mean time, please read the care sheets at the top of this page. They really will help you sort out your care. Also, start working on getting a second set up going- get the UVB bulbs I recommended, ditch the hot rock asap, and move them to a safe substrate (if they aren't on one already). Look for a 40 gallon breeder or larger tank, but always look for short and fat ones not tall and skinny ones. Dragons need floor space, not vertical space.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Do what Trogdor_1 said. That UVB will kill her. Also you need a real reptile thermometer to know what the real temp is, if not you might be way under the temp she needs to stay alive. Please get every thing you need for her or she will not have a healthy happy life.

McEntire

Original Poster
ok will ditch the wal-nut shells first thing tomorrow when i can get some carpet or something now i cant get the bulbs on-line cause i use cash so do you know if petsmart or petco carries them also my cool side stays around 75-80 and the basking is at 88 from the bulb but i have a heat pad on the side of the glass and the rock in the shells they seeem to stay on the rock allot what is so wrong with it it is a small one and it doesnt burn my hyand when i touch it. how long should i soak them and can i soak them while they are shedding

Kagome100

Juvie Member
The basking spot needs to be 100-110F to keep her healthy and let her digest food.

also you can take the walnut shells out now and just put some paper or something in there till tomorrow, she does not need to be on walnut shells at all not even this min. you said you had a heat rock? if so get rid of that, that will burn and hurt her. Reptiles dont know to move when there bellies are over heating. petsmart and petco have all the reptile things you need, just stay away from walnut shells, and sand at them stores. Petsmart and petco do have the bulbs you need, just stay away from them coils, you will need the long tube like bulbs. Good luck!

McEntire

Original Poster
im gonna go put them both in the tub and let them soak it up while i clean out cage then ill put paper down will it be ok to turn uvb coil light off for thr night

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Yes they dont need that coil at all its bad. Also they dont need light at night they need only darkness at night. They are day reptiles not night ones like geckos.

just toss that bulb away, also do you have a uva bulb? they need that to.

McEntire

Original Poster
my heat lamp is my uva thats what i was told anyways i let them soak in a bath tonight and they are on newspaper now i took the coil uvb out i bought rep-cal adult bearded dragon food today thats what they was on when i got them i also fed them worms tonight now i will keep them up and going but unfortunately i needto find a good home for them i am in college full time and work full time so they are not getting the proper attention they need i would love to keep them but now is not a good time i live about an hour north of houston texas if anyone is interested let me know they will have an aquairium heat pad two lights crickette feeder and whatever food i have at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom