Bearded Dragon died from eating TOO much

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRecord

Is it possible for a Juvenile Bearded Dragon to die from eating too much? My Bearded Dragon is 3 months old right now.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Don't believe so, but it is possible for a bearded dragon to become Impacted and more food would have made it worse.

I also noticed you fed your beardie Superworms that could definitely cause your beardie to become Impacted.a 3 month beardie shouldn't eat superworms till at least 16 inches in total length is the general rule of thumb.

Sorry to hear about your little guy

DRecord

Original Poster
Don't be sorry, he is still alive and perfectly heathy. He is poopping every day so he has not been impacted. I have heard that because the super worms have a harder shell it can cause issues but I feed him small super worms, which is what I was told to do by the breeder I got him from. When I first bought him, she even provided me with my first batch of small super worms. Thank you for your input though.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
The only time they can die from eating too much is if they were severely malnourished and you feed them too much at once instead of slowly working them back up to a normal level of food intake.

Or maybe if we're talking about death from severe obesity/fatty liver disease - but that's not really "eating too much", but feeding too much of the wrong things.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It seems like you are surprised at how much juvie beardies eat. They eat a LOT, Redrock and Sandstone went through anywhere from 20 to 60 crickets every day, we went through 1,000 crickets every 1.5 weeks. And other beardies eat more than that.

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
its possible but not likely more or less normally has to do with the quality of food being fed or the food itself what was it she or he was eating?

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
MBrian":ic5928uo said:
Don't believe so, but it is possible for a bearded dragon to become Impacted and more food would have made it worse.

I also noticed you fed your beardie Superworms that could definitely cause your beardie to become Impacted.a 3 month beardie shouldn't eat superworms till at least 16 inches in total length is the general rule of thumb.

Sorry to hear about your little guy

Superworms are perfectly fine, you just need the appropriate sized ones for your dragon. They come in 4 different sizes and can be fed from out of the egg..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom