Bearded dragon being lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
dragon is 6 years old healthy eats salad and bugs but wont move around in the viv unless you're feeding her. she runs around fine if you take her out of the viv but inside she just hides under log or the basking spot etc.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that she is eating her salad & feeders & also that she is active when she is out of her viv.

If she is hiding under her log or under her basking spot, it could mean that there is something in her viv that is not to her liking, either the bulbs, the temps, etc. It's important that she basks to help her digest her food and to get some UVB penetration. How long has she been acting this way?

Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), digital with probe end or temp gun? What are the basking & cool side temps?

Also, what brand & type of UVB do you have, how old is this particular bulb and what is the distance to her when she's in her basking spot. If you could also tell us the wattage & brand of basking bulb, that would be helpful as well as letting us know if it is a bright white or colored bulb.

This will help us to start to rule things out and are very important questions so we can try to figure this out together to help your girl.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":o38bzkct said:
That's good that she is eating her salad & feeders & also that she is active when she is out of her viv.

If she is hiding under her log or under her basking spot, it could mean that there is something in her viv that is not to her liking, either the bulbs, the temps, etc. It's important that she basks to help her digest her food and to get some UVB penetration. How long has she been acting this way?

Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), digital with probe end or temp gun? What are the basking & cool side temps?

Also, what brand & type of UVB do you have, how old is this particular bulb and what is the distance to her when she's in her basking spot. If you could also tell us the wattage & brand of basking bulb, that would be helpful as well as letting us know if it is a bright white or colored bulb.

This will help us to start to rule things out and are very important questions so we can try to figure this out together to help your girl.

have a 4ft tank with 2 UVB bulbs and a ceramic heater basking spot is 40-45 hot end is about 30 and cool is 25-27, the bulbs are about 2-3months old komodo basking lamp i think and arcadia uvb.
started this about 2 days ago. only thing that would maybe be upsetting her is the other dragon. had her for about a month now and my other dragon since sept last year. they dont puff beards at each other head bob or sit ontop of each other.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), digital with probe end or temp gun?

Are the Arcadia UVB's the T5 bulbs? What is the distance of the UVB bulbs to the basking spot? Is there an area in the viv where they can escape the UVB's if they want to? Could you post pictures of your setup?

Is the other beardie a male or female? Even they they may not be showing signs of aggression, that doesn't mean it isn't causing stress and that alone can kill a beardie. Is there any way you can separate them?

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":3ub54owe said:
Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), digital with probe end or temp gun?

Are the Arcadia UVB's the T5 bulbs? What is the distance of the UVB bulbs to the basking spot? Is there an area in the viv where they can escape the UVB's if they want to? Could you post pictures of your setup?

Is the other beardie a male or female? Even they they may not be showing signs of aggression, that doesn't mean it isn't causing stress and that alone can kill a beardie. Is there any way you can separate them?

Both females one is 6 and the other is about 3-5 they are both around the same size one just has a longer tail, have a round gauge not sure what make shows temp and humidity and 2 probes one under basking spot one in cold end and i have the round gauge around the middle. no place for them to escape. not sure if the bulbs are t5.i have 2 vivs and i tried her in the other but she just does the same down there. before when i had them apart they would try get into the others viv scratch at the glass to get out etc. http://puu.sh/nrp7W/962301448f.jpg http://puu.sh/nrp9x/59ff7e896a.jpg theres 2 quick pictures i took had to turn the lights on because its 10pm here.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That makes me feel bad that you turned their lights on to take pictures. :( Bet they weren't happy about that.

Unfortunately, the round gauge thermometers can be off 20 degrees or more. Have you placed the probe thermometer so that the probe is actually touching the basking log right under the light & then waited about 45 min to see what that basking SURFACE temp is? Did you get the 40 to 45 celcius reading from the round gauge thermometer in the middle?

If the Arcadia bulbs are the strip fluorescent type, would be a good idea to read what is stamped on the sides of the bulbs to see if they are T5 (high output) bulbs as those have higher distance requirements.

How often do you bathe them and/or offer oral fluids?
Since you have 2 vivs set up already, I really would recommend that you separate them.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":3j9at9q6 said:
That makes me feel bad that you turned their lights on to take pictures. :( Bet they weren't happy about that.

Unfortunately, the round gauge thermometers can be off 20 degrees or more. Have you placed the probe thermometer so that the probe is actually touching the basking log right under the light & then waited about 45 min to see what that basking SURFACE temp is? Did you get the 40 to 45 celcius reading from the round gauge thermometer in the middle?

If the Arcadia bulbs are the strip fluorescent type, would be a good idea to read what is stamped on the sides of the bulbs to see if they are T5 (high output) bulbs as those have higher distance requirements.

How often do you bathe them and/or offer oral fluids?
Since you have 2 vivs set up already, I really would recommend that you separate them.

Checked the bulbs they are T5's. and picked up some stuff to hold the probes up and got the temp at the basking spot sitting around 43. as for bathing i bathe them bi-weekly and spray the viv daily. there is also a large ceramic bath inside the viv that my other dragon loves and goes in daily when i top it up with warm water.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that the Arcadia bulbs are T5, those are very good bulbs and are strong enough to be placed on top of a screen. The distance to your beardie laying on that log doesn't look closer than 12", am I right? If so, that should be fine.

A basking spot of 43 celcius for an adult is equal to 109 farenheit which is too high for an adult. The 109 reading would be for a little baby. It would be better if you can lower the basking surface temp to 38 or 39 celcius which would be 100 to 102 which would hopefully encourage them to bask more.

Since the one beardie isn't using the ceramic bath in the viv, it would be a good idea to increase the baths for her every 3 to 4 days. Spraying the inside of the viv isn't recommended as it can cause the humidity to be too high which can develop into an upper respiratory infection.

Is there any reason why you aren't able to give them each their own viv?

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":2kzayfxg said:
That's good that the Arcadia bulbs are T5, those are very good bulbs and are strong enough to be place on top of a screen. The distance to your beardie laying on that log doesn't look closer than 12", am I right? If so, that should be fine.

A basking spot of 43 celcius for an adult is equal to 109 farenheit which is too high for an adult. The 109 reading would be for a little baby. It would be better if you can lower the basking surface temp to 38 or 39 celcius which would be 100 to 102 which would hopefully encourage them to bask more.

Since the one beardie isn't using the ceramic bath in the viv, it would be a good idea to increase the baths for her every 3 to 4 days. Spraying the inside of the viv isn't recommended as it can cause the humidity to be too high which can develop into an upper respiratory infection.

Is there any reason why you aren't able to give them each their own viv?

lowered the basking spot down a bit around 38 now. they do both have a viv i just keep them both in the same one. mainly because i had a bad thermostat in the bottom but i've got a new one now and im letting the viv heat up. i'd say the distance from log to light is about 12".

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good you were able to lower the basking spot down to 38. Are either one of them basking?

Would be good if they could each have their own viv, may take them a few days to adjust to the changes but they would both be better off.

How is the 6 yr old acting?

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":2d41qsc6 said:
That's good you were able to lower the basking spot down to 38. Are either one of them basking?

Would be good if they could each have their own viv, may take them a few days to adjust to the changes but they would both be better off.

How is the 6 yr old acting?

with the lowered temp they both seemed to stay up on the log for alot longer and she hasn't been hiding she'll try to go under then just turn around

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is good that they both seem to be basking longer and that she isn't hiding. Sounds like they are liking the temps now. Good job.

jasonhaldane

Original Poster
diamc":3gcwsq3l said:
That is good that they both seem to be basking longer and that she isn't hiding. Sounds like they are liking the temps now. Good job.

was watching her for a bit and she was digging at the rocks i had to stop her getting under during the uvb hours and took them out for her and she went under dug for a bit then turned around and poked her head out. she shows her whole head and about 3cm on neck. left her for a bit and then took her out cause wasn't sure if shes getting enough light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom