Bearded Dragon Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If your dragon's beard is almost always black, even while he is sleeping then he isn't feeling
well & or he is very stressed. Can you post more information about his tank setup, etc such
as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation, temperatures & foods given?
You can post pictures of him & the tank setup for us also.

Tracie

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Well, during sleep he sleeps in a cave where the female he mated and laid eggs (and has also been living in the same tank with since he was a half baby half juvenile) with. He loves to eat and his enclosure has walnut shaving thingies (sorry if I sound a little off and weird I am hurrying) and a few really big rocks for basking. He also has the cave, and a water bowl which is obvious but...Anyways, his tank is pretty big. I do not think I can separate Jax (the female) and Lizzie the male but...yes.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
lizardgirlforever":3e737naz said:
Well, during sleep he sleeps in a cave where the female he mated and laid eggs (and has also been living in the same tank with since he was a half baby half juvenile) with. He loves to eat and his enclosure has walnut shaving thingies (sorry if I sound a little off and weird I am hurrying) and a few really big rocks for basking. He also has the cave, and a water bowl which is obvious but...Anyways, his tank is pretty big. I do not think I can separate Jax (the female) and Lizzie the male but...yes.
From what I can tell from scanning posts, BDs should not be housed together and that might explain the black-bearding. Also, you have to get rid of those walnut shells. Sand, shells, and the soil mixes that the pet stores sell are bad for them, with shells being especially dangerous because they can be sharp, get stuck in the stomach, etc. I really hope that's not what's going on here, because that'd be a vet trip for sure. It might not be a bad idea to have a REPTILE (not regular) vet take a look, though I see Tracie has responded, so I'd follow whatever advice she gives as she's a one herself.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just to confirm, your male & female are housed together, correct?
If so, that would be why your male's beard is black, due to hormonal/mating behavior. If this
is the case, are the eggs fertile?
They really should be housed separately, because the constant stress on both of them isn't very
healthy.

Tracie

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Yes, the eggs were definitely fertile. This is because they hatched. So, can I put a glass "wall" in the middle? That's what I am doing. What would you recommend for substrate? I can go to the pet store and get repti carpet if you think that's best. The reason I have this situation is because I have 16 lizards, so I need to focus on the runt. This does NOT mean I neglect the adult bearded dragons, but I was going to do what you suggested Before you told me. It was just I wanted to wait a little tiny bit because they have been together so long. Also, if Lizzie's beard isn't dark anymore, can I still keep them together, only make the substrate different? Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom