Baby growth rates - help me collect data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If I adjust back 2 weeks, his length becomes just at the bottom of the other babies, but his weight is right on.

I'm guessing that you got one of the hatchlings.

Here are the adjusted charts.

genskiR6

SukiLove":2g0ykim9 said:
I would say that it is extremely likely that you could have gotten her at 1 week then. It is really strange that he didn't know how old, usually they are separated or marked in some way to keep them organized. From the picture she looks really small, and I've heard of some breeders getting rid of their babies as young as 1 week, I just do not agree with it. I think 6 weeks is a good age to part with a baby, then you know if they're eating properly and have no issues.

It's great that she's eating so much! She sounds like Soleil! :lol: I guess we could say she was around 11 weeks, and see if it better matches with the chart for the other babies.

I thought it was strange as well that he didn't know and it kind of irritated me bc this was my first one and I was really really scared to be a bad parent. When I decided I wanted one I called to see if he still had any and he said yes. I explained that I was in the process of building an enclosure for it and doing my research but he pressed me to pick up the baby asap, so I did. So she came home with me and I picked up a 10 gal from petco and she stayed in that for about 3 weeks I think before I finished her VIV (4'x2'x2'). Here's the link for that JIC anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=217143

When she made the move to the new VIV her appetite really took off.
He was a really nice guy though and answered the phone whenever I called him with questions the night I took her home and went to petco. So I guess I should re-age her for future statistics or should we wait and see what happens?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Looks like she fits the curve better readjusted, as Kessed did. I think if he pressed you into picking her up she was probably only a week old (if that) and maybe he didn't want to worry about feeding all the babies. I guess we will never really know, but as long as she is healthy it doesn't matter anymore. :)

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think that her being ~1 week when you got her fits better than being 3 weeks. And since it's totally plausible, then I would say we should go with that.

I have to say thanks! Thanks for playing along with me. My 9yo daughter and I are having a blast looking at the data and seeing how curves go. She has even started to make predictions on Zaxxi's next measurements. It's pretty awesome.

genskiR6

Kessed":1aku45u8 said:
I think that her being ~1 week when you got her fits better than being 3 weeks. And since it's totally plausible, then I would say we should go with that.

I have to say thanks! Thanks for playing along with me. My 9yo daughter and I are having a blast looking at the data and seeing how curves go. She has even started to make predictions on Zaxxi's next measurements. It's pretty awesome.

Thanks to you! I would have never known I was off by 4 weeks! And if you're going to add the sex into the data, it turns out Wayne is female lol. This is awesome information and maybe should be stickied :) I'm just incredibly happy that I was able to keep her alive at such a critical age and being a newbie.

SukiLove":1aku45u8 said:
Looks like she fits the curve better readjusted, as Kessed did. I think if he pressed you into picking her up she was probably only a week old (if that) and maybe he didn't want to worry about feeding all the babies. I guess we will never really know, but as long as she is healthy it doesn't matter anymore. :)

I think you're right. I was speaking with him recently and told him that I started breeding dubia (they're breeding like crazy) and he wanted to buy some from me which I also thought was extremely strange. I figured he would have a plethora of bugs available for his reptiles. I'm still thinking vet to go for a check up. Just for piece of mind. You guys have any idea how fresh her poop needs to be?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Whoops, sorry meant to address that. Same day is best, and you can keep it in the fridge (I know! But you breed roaches! :lol: ) to keep it fresh if she goes in the am and your appointment is later.

genskiR6

SukiLove":3pno3tw1 said:
Whoops, sorry meant to address that. Same day is best, and you can keep it in the fridge (I know! But you breed roaches! :lol: ) to keep it fresh if she goes in the am and your appointment is later.

Ha ha ha! Thanks so much!

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
I've been following this thread, and the plausible hypothesis about Wayne's age is actually reassuring! (The possibly sketchy breeder, less so.) Good on genskiR6 for taking such good care of such a tiny baby.

jen7724

Hi all! I just wanted to chime in on my little guys size. I'll try to keep this updated as he grows. He was hatched 4th of July so he's right at 5 weeks and 8" long. From what I've been reading it appears he's longer than most his age?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Nero - 178g, 15.25" at 21 weeks
Soleil - 220g, 15.25" at 17.5 weeks

She's just going to be heavier than him :lol:

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Pogo:

8 weeks - 7" and 10g
9 weeks - 7" and 8.5g (yes, he has lost weight - he is on a hunger strike)
10 weeks - 7" and 11g (still not eating regular food, but have put weight on him using a Carnivore Care and baby food squash mix in a syringe)

So I am not certain how old mine is. I picked him up the day Petco got him/her in.

5.5 inches, 7 grams.

(Today) Three weeks later 6.5 inches, 11 grams.

I'm assuming 7 weeks-ish, from following this post.

jen7724

I'm back to post Apollo's (I didn't mention his name last week) growth over the past 7 days. He is currently 6 weeks old and 9 1/4" long. That's a whole inch and a 1/4" since last week! I'll get a scale so I can weigh him for my next post. He's going to be a monster though I believe. Should I be concerned that he's growing so fast?

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Soleil- 243g, 16.5" at 18.5 weeks
Nero- 184g, 15.5" at 22 weeks

He really has slowed down compared to her, doesn't help that she eats anything in site and he only eats a fraction of what she does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom