Beardie name(s)
Rusty
I just recently purchased a new baby beardie (yesterday) and I have not noticed any bowel movements yet. I am beginning to get worried, is this a normal thing due to stress moving into a new place? Or should this be cause for serious concern prompting a visit to a vet? It is also possible that I might just not have seen my beardie go to the washroom. Any help is good!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just recently purchased a new baby beardie (yesterday) and I have not noticed any bowel movements yet. I am beginning to get worried, is this a normal thing due to stress moving into a new place? Or should this be cause for serious concern prompting a visit to a vet? It is also possible that I might just not have seen my beardie go to the washroom. Any help is good!
Surface basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - and UVB needs to be a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w /a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 24" w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb properly placed and distance for the screen on the tank ------------ is the dragon eating?

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
Surface basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - and UVB needs to be a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w /a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 24" w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb properly placed and distance for the screen on the tank ------------ is the dragon eating?
Basking Area Temp: ~100
UVB: 36' T5 10.0
The dragon is eating very well. Ate greens and 12 crickets this morning, and about 15 more just an hour ago.
Is it the lower temp that's impacting their bowel movements? If so, how should I increase temps; move up basking area or buy higher wattage bulb? Working with 150W right now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking Area Temp: ~100
UVB: 36' T5 10.0
The dragon is eating very well. Ate greens and 12 crickets this morning, and about 15 more just an hour ago.
Is it the lower temp that's impacting their bowel movements? If so, how should I increase temps; move up basking area or buy higher wattage bulb? Working with 150W right now.
What's the surface basking temps? Are you using a digital probe thermometer- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh or wide hole? Are you feeding appropriate size crickets? If they are too big they will impact him

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
What's the surface basking temps? Are you using a digital probe thermometer- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh or wide hole? Are you feeding appropriate size crickets? If they are too big they will impact him
Surface basking temps: unable to read, getting proper thermometer to tomorrow, was only able to get a needle thermometer that is right beside basking area.
Wide Mesh: not window screen or similar
Cricket size: about the size between their eyes or smaller

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Surface basking temps: unable to read, getting proper thermometer to tomorrow, was only able to get a needle thermometer that is right beside basking area.
Wide Mesh: not window screen or similar
Cricket size: about the size between their eyes or smaller
Are you feeding meal worms? the wide mesh the UVB can stay on top distance directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches -- place the probe on the spot where he basks for like 10 min or so get the temp - 105-110

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
Are you feeding meal worms? the wide mesh the UVB can stay on top distance directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches -- place the probe on the spot where he basks for like 10 min or so get the temp - 105-110
I’ve fed them mainly crickets. Although before we got the large supply of crickets they probably had about 6 over the span of a day and a half. Fully migrated to crickets now tho. I will move the thermometer right now and see.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve fed them mainly crickets. Although before we got the large supply of crickets they probably had about 6 over the span of a day and a half. Fully migrated to crickets now tho. I will move the thermometer right now and see.
It sounds like hes doing good -- what goes in will come out --- how is he getting water?

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
It sounds like hes doing good -- what goes in will come out --- how is he getting water?
I fed them misted greens this morning. And there is a dish of fresh clean water within the enclosure. I was thinking of giving them a bath later, would this be a good idea? Also, does this warrant a visit to the vet?

This has been going on a day and a half and i’m very worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I fed them misted greens this morning. And there is a dish of fresh clean water within the enclosure. I was thinking of giving them a bath later, would this be a good idea? Also, does this warrant a visit to the vet?

This has been going on a day and a half and i’m very worried.
No vet visit -and no bath it will stress him out too much -- he will go to the bathroom - give him time --- I wanted to make sure everything was up to par like your lighting and his diet - there are certain things that will cause impaction I wanted to rule that out -- he probably wont drink from the dish most do not -- you can spray his head w/ a water bottle and see if he will lick or drop water on his nose to see if he will lick this is important to keep things moving --

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
No vet visit -and no bath it will stress him out too much -- he will go to the bathroom - give him time --- I wanted to make sure everything was up to par like your lighting and his diet - there are certain things that will cause impaction I wanted to rule that out -- he probably wont drink from the dish most do not -- you can spray his head w/ a water bottle and see if he will lick or drop water on his nose to see if he will lick this is important to keep things moving --
Okay thank you. I will spray his head right now with some water. Thank you so so much for your help.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
My beardie didn’t poop for maybe a day or 2 after I got it so don’t worry it will poop eventually. I noticed you said you feed crickets, that’s ok but I’d say a different feeder would probably be best as crickets stink and if one dies they all die. I fed BSFL but they stink as well. Dubias are good to. I’d also recommend don’t get your feeders from a chain pet store (pet smart, petco, pet supplies plus, etc.) Try online or a pet store that specializes in only reptiles. Your beardie may be stressed and that’s totally normal. You may not see him poop but you will eventually find a poop in the tank or smell it lol.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Not a concern whatsoever , my beardie did not poo for three days straight when I first brought him home!

If you are worried, try giving him a nice warm bath and massage, that usually gets my boy going quickly. As your dragon is new too much handling will cause stress so be gentle.

I’m no expert on this but I believe pumpkin or baby food work well to get bowel movements running, might want to ask someone else first if you are going to try that.

RustyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rusty
My beardie didn’t poop for maybe a day or 2 after I got it so don’t worry it will poop eventually. I noticed you said you feed crickets, that’s ok but I’d say a different feeder would probably be best as crickets stink and if one dies they all die. I fed BSFL but they stink as well. Dubias are good to. I’d also recommend don’t get your feeders from a chain pet store (pet smart, petco, pet supplies plus, etc.) Try online or a pet store that specializes in only reptiles. Your beardie may be stressed and that’s totally normal. You may not see him poop but you will eventually find a poop in the tank or smell it lol.
I have BSFL on the way! They should arrive tomorrow and then I will put that in as his stable food, I've heard good things about it. I'm happy to hear that people have similar experiences because I couldn't find anything anywhere!

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I have BSFL on the way! They should arrive tomorrow and then I will put that in as his stable food, I've heard good things about it. I'm happy to hear that people have similar experiences because I couldn't find anything anywhere!
Yep only problem I have with them is the stink. I posted a small care guide on my page if you want to check it out.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom