Angie, Loki, Laura & Dozer (new pics 03/29/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to introduce everyone to our new girl. She is on her way now from Denver, CO. Here's the tracking # if anyone wants to follow her flight: http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?loc=en_US&Requester=NOT&tracknum=1Z6ET1020195023418&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes We have chosen the name Angeline (Angie for short) which means "messenger of God." I will post some new pictures tomorrow but these are the ones we have so far. She is part leatherback.

Here she is when Laszlo brought her home from the pet store on Feb 17th, 2012.
IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

Here she is eating a small dubia roach.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Being a diabetic since 1990, it doesn't get better unless he loses weight and eats 3 meals a day; being a truck driver is stressful and that's what brings on the higher BP and the diabetes. At least it's just started so he can make changes and get it back down to normal. Hopefully this doesn't affect his job. It's just the pits when you get older. Hopefully, he can get the diabetes and BP stabilized soon. Just seems to be one thing after the other with us, isn't it?

Angie sure sounds like she thinks she's in charge of the household. And Loki sounds like a cuddly teddy bear. Leo's like him, gains weight easily but luckily he's been staying steady for the last 2 years. It's funny how they're all built so differently. Gabriel has lost a lot of weight, he's down to 488 from 530 but it looks good on him. His body is so short, only 5" from neck to tail, it's his head that's 2 1/2" long!! So I guess the extra weight was bugging him, 'cause he's eating same as usual, but he's gotten so much more energetic, wonder what he's going to be like in the spring :lol: Mr Turbo Beardie :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He hadn't had bloodwork done in a LONG time. His cholesterol was perfect, I thought that might be high. Even though I have a small frame & am thin, I need to take cholesterol medication as it seems to be hereditary in my case.

He does eat 3 meals a day and good balanced meals actually. He really isn't overweight either. His uncles were all insulin dependent so guess he takes after them. Our son is a Type 11 diabetic too & is on medication, has been since last January and he isn't heavy either. Paul is allowed to drive for 3 months due to his high BP and then goes back the beginning of April to get it checked again to see if the medication has helped. We'll see what the doctor says about his glucose on Thursday and go from there. It's fun getting old, isn't it?

Angie believes she's in charge of the household, everything revolves around her lol. Yes, Loki is a cuddler for sure. His beard just gets yellower and yellower.

I remember you saying that Gabriel was too heavy before so he is probably looking & feeling good now. All the tank activity has probably helped him slim down. He sure does have a long head. Great that he's so active. Mr Turbo Beardie :mrgreen: Now there's a new name for him. :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
And it really suits Gabriel, he never stops until he just exhausts himself about 4p. What a nut he is, so fun to watch. If I'm standing in the living room when he's out, he always runs over my feet, then stops and looks up at me with a grin, then carries on. Love him to bits!

Wow, it sure runs in Paul's family. Didn't know Josh was Type 1, so he's on insulin. Well hopefully the BP for Paul reduces with the pills, does that mean he can keep his job? Hope so.
So I'm glad he takes good care of himself. While I was off my blood suger was quite high, the AIC they took in Jan showed 8.2 average over last 3 months. So now that I'm off the chips and eating better, it was 7.1 this am. Canadian blood sugar counts are different than yours, I should be 5.8 or less in the am & the same 2 hours after eating. Still working on that, though. I'm up to 6 pills a day & still not low enough, but then have to lose weight. That will probably help. Also starting to climb stairs, too, for exercise, hurts my ankle but can't just do nothing!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Gabriel is TOO funny. He sure is a happy camper. :p That's right, forgot about the foot fetish. :lol:

No, Josh is Type 11, I think that's what I typed above. He is on Metformin, not insulin. His last A1C was lower but still a diabetic result of course.

If Paul's BP is still up in 3 months, he will probably have to be out of work & changed to a new med to help bring it down. If he has to go on insulin, don't think he will be able to drive truck any longer. Will have to wait to see.
Your A1C readings sound like the ones here in NY too actually. Josh's was 8.6 the very first time but has gone down thank goodness. Yes, it's hard trying to lose wt when it's painful to really get around.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh Type 2, that's what I am. I take 1000 mg Metformin morning and night, 5 mg of Onglyza and 30 mg Diamicron MR also in the morning. Those were added last summer.

Between the 3 types, I'm supposed to be 5.8, hoping to get back to that soon. Yep Josh is getting there, such a pain taking these pills but they'll start working more effectively when I start being more active and lose the weight I gained. Metformin works great and has the least side effects, I've been taking it since 1990, it was effective for a long time. Being out of whack started after I hurt my ankle.

So here's to all of us getting this diabetes under control!

And here's to Paul getting his BP under control, too, so he can keep his job :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Josh is on 750 mg of Metformin a day and so far, it seems to be working well. Good to hear that it has the least side effects too.

Certainly doesn't take much to get your glucose out of whack when something like an ankle injury messes things up. Hopefully your whole body will be back in sync too.

Thanks, will let you know what Paul's A1C reading is when he stops to the doctor on his way home tomorrow.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Instead of severely depressing Angie after she wakes from a nap, how about allowing her to see the tree being taken down and put away? This way she'll know what's going on and where it's going. You wouldn't want her to be pouting for days on end, would you? ;)

Hope the meds will help with Paul's levels. Given he eats healthy and not overweight, it must be in his genes. Can't do anything about that but take meds, unfortunately.

Sinus infections are awful. I used to get wicked ones nearly 3-4 times a year, so bad that the insides of my nose would be a raw open canal. But ever since I started taking Allegra year round, I haven't had an infection yet (knock on wood).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I could try that Gina. She sure didn't look very happy when she was sitting on the windowsill and I was removing HER blue lights from all around where she was sitting though. Willing to try anything to make the transition easier for her though. :roll:

Sure does seem like the diabetes is in his genes. Hopefully the results won't be bad enough for him to be on insulin.

I agree about the sinus infections and with mine being so bad that it caused my ear drums to bulge, it made it even worse. I never had so much ear pain as that caused. You poor thing with the raw areas, that must have been painful. Good that the Allegra helps, hope it continues to. The doctor had ordered a nose spray for me that helped some.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I figured I should give another update on our two. Both doing well and eating daily except they are both shedding some which is harder in the dry heat. Trying our best to keep the humidity levels up. Both of them are acting a little more tired which I know is typical for this time of year.

Gina, I know we had discussed the best way for her to be able to handle her tree separation anxiety (LOL) so we finally took down our Christmas tree about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Angie was NOT happy. She sat on her basking log watching me remove the blue & silver balls, would look at me & then look away totally disgusted. :lol: She didn't have her happy colors on either. :roll: When the tree was finally undecorated and put away, she wouldn't go in the living room although that is usually her favorite room in the house. She did finally very slowly walk a few steps into the living room but stopped and pushed her nose up to the side of the couch blocking her view and had the expression like she was thinking "I can't stand to look, it's just too painful to not see MY tree." After about an hour, she slowly walked into the center of the room and then even slower, moved to where the tree USED to be and just sat there staring at me. Obvious that she was NOT happy with me. For the 1st week when she woke up, she snapped her head in the direction of where the tree was hoping it would mysteriously REappear and I would be turning it on. But, I guess she is over it now although I have to turn her colored disco ball on in the morning and leave that on all day so she can watch the colors move around the room. She is just something else! :mrgreen:

Here's a picture of part of HER Christmas tree

Angie & Loki holding hands

Angie VERY intently watching me use the powerhead, the vacuum is actually running with her laying on it & she was really enjoying herself.

Showing off her colors

Loki showing off his colors although he was getting ready to shed on his side. He always looks scared when I take his picture.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
She sure is Lori. Tomorrow morning, Paul is going to use the snow blower to get the over foot of snow off of our deck. I will have to hold her there so she can watch the whole process.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have never come across a beardie like Angie, she is just so unique and funny. I love the way she reacted about HER tree, she just couldn't get over that you would have the audacity to take it DOWN :lol: How dare you :roll: So funny, wonder if it will be the same way next year?

I've never seen a beardie ride around on a vacuum cleaner before either, you'd think she'd hate the noise, but then she loves large noises, doesn't she. I'll bet, if it wasn't so cold, she'd be on the snowblower, too :lol: She just makes me laugh, so I can imagine how she makes you guys laugh.

The pic of her and Loki holding hands is so cute!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yes Deb, guess we are awful beardie parents since we took HER tree down. It's a wonder she didn't call the "beardie police" and report abuse. :mrgreen: Oh, I'm sure she'll be the same way next year, she will probably get all excited when she sees the strands of Christmas lights when we get them out because she NEVER forgets anything. :roll:

Yes, she loves to hear anything running and nothing scares her no matter how loud it is. She sure does make us laugh. When Paul was using the snow blower this am, the belt broke so she was disappointed when he had to shut it off. She laid on the windowsill over the sink and watched them shovel the rest of it off. Every time some snow went past the window, she closed her one eye for a split second, then opened it right back up to make sure she didn't miss anything. :lol:

They actually put their hands together as soon as we set them down and stayed like that for a while. When spring arrives, bet we won't be letting them anywhere near each other!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Omg, I LOVE the picture of them holding hands!!!! You should print it out and frame it :p
LOL @ "I can't stand to look,it's just too painful not to see my tree" :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks Michele. I'm partial to that one too.

Angie is quite the stinker as you know. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom