Angie, Loki, Laura & Dozer (new pics 03/29/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to introduce everyone to our new girl. She is on her way now from Denver, CO. Here's the tracking # if anyone wants to follow her flight: http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?loc=en_US&Requester=NOT&tracknum=1Z6ET1020195023418&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes We have chosen the name Angeline (Angie for short) which means "messenger of God." I will post some new pictures tomorrow but these are the ones we have so far. She is part leatherback.

Here she is when Laszlo brought her home from the pet store on Feb 17th, 2012.
IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

Here she is eating a small dubia roach.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yes, it has been very difficult and I know it has been for you too, I'm sorry. You are a very sweet person.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
When I got home from work at 6 pm, I noticed that Angie's bear was propped up in the corner of her tank and she wasn't in it. She had been missing since 10:30 this morning. Josh had torn the downstairs apart all day trying to find her. He & Paul spent the lunch hr searching for her, used up all the batteries in all the flashlights. Josh didn't even feed Loki today because he was trying to find her. I almost became frantic and we were all still searching, under chairs, under registers, Josh even pulled the frig out himself, looked everywhere possible. Pulled couches out, etc etc. I asked Josh where he had last seen her, he said near Paul's recliner in the living room, she was headed toward the computer room. We searches some more, tilted the recliner up, checked all throughout the material. Then I looked under the computer and noticed there was an opening behind the very tall wooden bookshelf, I told Paul I thought she probably was underneath it. The guys struggled to inch it out (very heavy), little by little they got it sideways and I was finally able to look behind it, there she was stiff as a board, ice cold, by this time she had been missing for about 9 hrs. I picked her up and she didn't move, so terribly cold but her eyes were open. I ran her body under warm water and after a while, she started moving a little. We were all very happy to see her and know she was ok BUT also upset with her! Everything in the whole downstairs was in disarray, what a mess pulling everything out, DVD off shelves, unbelievable. I held her for a few min and then put her in her tank to warm up. I went up to feed poor Loki who couldn't understand why he had been totally ignored all day, no food except his greens and no time out of his tank. After Angie warmed up a little, I offered her a medium horn, she ate that and 5 butters besides, she had only eaten 3 crickets for me yesterday. Anyway, her schedule was thrown off so instead of going to bed at 6:30, she just went to bed a few minutes ago. We are all exhausted AND relieved. She is in confinement, can't let this happen again!!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks Liz. We sure are too, it was so horrible, we were afraid she had herself pinned somewhere and was hurt. We are all exhausted. We love her personality so much but this episode was almost too much to handle! Needless to say, she got some loving tonight but also some lectures too. :roll:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I know what you mean, I had to have "the talk" with Jace tonight because he suddenly realized he's a boy and Zy is not. I used to be able to keep them out together all the time without them caring about the other. He wanted to jump her and she was running up me so fast to get a way. Boy :roll: :lol: Again, glad she's all right. Sounds like the female counterpart to Deb's Gabriel :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Oh wow, sounds like Jace is all boy. Guess there will be no more running around together for them. :shock:

You know, funny you said that about Gabriel as Deb & I had mentioned once how unbelievable it would be if they were running around together! :lol:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Diane, you and your family must have been wild looking for Angie, so scary............I'm glad everyone is safe, I'm sure she got extra hugs tonight!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks Christine. We were so relieved to see her laying behind the bookshelf, sure didn't take me long to grab her. I have to say that she looked relieved when we saw her. She could have come back out the same way she came in but I think she was too cold to move. Hope she learned something from this.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Goodness gracious! How did Angie escape the confines of where she was supposed to be? Was she playing hide-n-seek and didn't tell anyone?
Thank goodness she was ok, despite being stone cold.

You know that I used to have the same issue with Pookie, and would literally turn my house (upstairs and downstairs) upside down looking for him. It wasn't until I finally gave up and allowed him to show up himself that he stopped hiding and running off to where he isn't allowed. He also started coming out of hiding the next morning, and would look up at me as if he'd done nothing wrong. To this day, I still have no idea where half of his hiding spots were.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Gina, every morning Angie is taken out to run around. Since I was off on Tues and it's considered "beardie day", I let her run around until she gets cold and starts to snuggle down somewhere, then I put her back in to get warm. I do that on & off all morning. Well, since it was a Wed and not "beardie day", she more than likely had a pout on (which she is famous for lol) so she decided to snuggle down somewhere instead. I sure don't think she expected it to be a 9 hr time frame, I think she thought she would be found easily and returned to her warm tank. They sure don't consider that no-one can see them when the front of a huge wooden bookshelf is enclosed on the front (where humans can't see them) but open in the back, just large enough for a beardie to climb under. Josh said he thought he heard her scratching a couple of different times throughout the day but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Even if he did, there was NO way he could have moved it himself to get her out. She just got so cold that she didn't want to crawl back out but must have slept for a while and when she heard us moving things around, she just sat there waiting to be rescued. :roll: You can't imagine (maybe you can) the feeling that I had when I saw her, we thought she was lost forever. :(

Different times on other mornings, I would be looking for her and calling her and all of a sudden, she would reappear but certainly not this time. I don't know if she would have finally come out on her own or not as 9 hrs is a loooong time.

She was pretty quiet today, we think she knew we were upset with what she put us all through yesterday, She was not allowed out to run around at all today (it broke my heart but we couldn't take any chances) so Josh took her out early this afternoon and she got her 3 hr nap on bed on the heated cornbags. Tonight I brought her into the table and she licked some applesauce off her nose and she had her pretty colors on. She probably won't be out to run around again until this weekend when I can watch her very closely.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So Angie is grounded just like Gabriel is, even though he's now gained weight enough that he can't climb the sofa anymore, so I'm not as afraid that he'll end up in Rubio's tank again!

Poor Angie, to pick a spot hard to back out of & get so cold and then hard to find. I can understand how frantic you were, Diane, I have had that feeling many times.

Didi is another hider and he was upset that I was away last week, so when I got back Monday am, I couldn't find him for awhile. He pouted the whole week I was gone & refused to eat bugs at all, so he had to be snuggled all day Monday when I was home, after I found him, he was really cold, too. Then Gabriel got snuggles that night, with Titan. They just don't like their routine changed at all. And even though I had a good time, I'm really not a traveller, so I'll be home for a long time!

I think Angie will re-think escaping in the future, doesn't sound like she had a good time! Poor baby girl. (even if she's not a baby).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hi Deb, yes, she is grounded for now. We sure can't go through that again. :roll: I think she is related to Gabriel lol. He can't climb the sofa anymore? Wow.

That frantic feeling is horrible as you well know. First of all, we didn't know IF we'd find her and then we were also worried that she might have hurt herself by climbing into or under something dangerous.

I'm glad you found Didi, what a stinker he is! Did Didi finally break down and start eating again for you? They sure get into a routine and if something is out of the norm, it really throws them a curve.

After I get home from work tomorrow, I will let Angie walk around (supervised) for a little while before I lay her down for a nap, then we will go from there. Hopefully being so cold and not being able to figure out how to get back out of her predicament, taught her a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom