alpha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalec

There is no alpha because 1) "alpha" is a term used to describe an adult parent wolf, and 2) bearded dragons are solitary animals and should not be housed together. One will always be bullied and not receive enough UVB/food at the very best. At worse, you may end up with a dead dragon. :( Hope this helps!

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kalec":1wlh0h7t said:
There is no alpha because 1) "alpha" is a term used to describe an adult parent wolf, and 2) bearded dragons are solitary animals and should not be housed together. One will always be bullied and not receive enough UVB/food at the very best. At worse, you may end up with a dead dragon. :( Hope this helps!
but which is the domnient one?

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
There should never be a dominant. A male will dominate a female, but that is it. Two males should never meet.

Cath1068

Niether would be dominate because they are solitary animals. They do not live in packs or have family structures. Only animals that live in structered packs have a hierarchy like wolves, elephants ,etc. In dragons as they previous poster said they will kill eachother and take all the best basking spots and food if housed together. Its a no win situation with the smaller/weaker one paying the ultimate price. Hope this helps.

Cathy

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
Taking the term alpha out of the picture you can tell which one will be the attacker simply by size if not by gender. The bigger female will be the bully, the male then over the female generally. A smaller dragon you can sometimes observe doing an 'arm wave' to a larger dragon...kinda like a 'I come in peace, don't hurt me so I can get away'.

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
aussiefreak101":ge5sej4i said:
Taking the term alpha out of the picture you can tell which one will be the attacker simply by size if not by gender. The bigger female will be the bully, the male then over the female generally. A smaller dragon you can sometimes observe doing an 'arm wave' to a larger dragon...kinda like a 'I come in peace, don't hurt me so I can get away'.
thank you but and I understand that they are solitary animals and have no set dominent one but even in these cases one dominants the other one in territory, the ability to scare away competion would make one more dominant than the other, and as for their size ones longer but the other is wider, so of these which has the best advantage

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
dragonjim":34okryk2 said:
thank you but and I understand that they are solitary animals and have no set dominent one but even in these cases one dominants the other one in territory, the ability to scare away competion would make one more dominant than the other, and as for their size ones longer but the other is wider, so of these which has the best advantage

I can't figure out why it matters really. If you're housing them together, then you know they're going to fight eventually and either A:) one gets killed/maimed or B:) both get maimed/killed . If you're not housing them together, then just say the biggest is the "alpha" and be happy.

Cath1068

trickyspark":28p5ekkw said:
dragonjim":28p5ekkw said:

I can't figure out why it matters really. If you're housing them together, then you know they're going to fight eventually and either A:) one gets killed/maimed or B:) both get maimed/killed . If you're not housing them together, then just say the biggest is the "alpha" and be happy.

Nuff said. I dont really understand why it matters as well as it is written all over this forum the real dangers of keeping 2 or more dragons together so why do it ? It will end up ugly and most likely you may incur a very costly vet bill or the life and well being of the weaker/smaller dragon.

Sorry for sounding so ugly but this really annoys me that people know the dangers but yet still think they can pull it off. I am very passionate in my love of beardies and hate seeing them get hurt for nothing.

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't afford to get what I need for the new tank, I know what I need but can't afford it. So I wanted to know. I understand the dangers, the primary one being the basking spot since I feed them separately.

Cath1068":q7uvfv9u said:
trickyspark":q7uvfv9u said:
dragonjim":q7uvfv9u said:

Nuff said. I dont really understand why it matters as well as it is written all over this forum the real dangers of keeping 2 or more dragons together so why do it ? It will end up ugly and most likely you may incur a very costly vet bill or the life and well being of the weaker/smaller dragon.

Sorry for sounding so ugly but this really annoys me that people know the dangers but yet still think they can pull it off. I am very passionate in my love of beardies and hate seeing them get hurt for nothing.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
I had a friend that kept his dragon in a $10.00 rubbermaid container temporarily until he could get a bigger tank. It was a 40 gallon container, roughly the same size and shape as a 40 gallon glass aquarium.

I just don't understand why it matters which is stronger though. If you understand the dangers of not seperating them, then why care which one is strongest? Do you mind clarifying why you are concerned which one is stronger so I can stop being confused?

The stronger one could still sustain an injury fighting the weaker one and be the one that winds up dying. Is the "stronger" one going to be put on a leash or some kind of restraint? I'm soooo confused :cry:

Maybe I'm stupid :roll:

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
Well, look at it this way. If you were locked in a small room with a total bully that scared you to death, even though you were able to get enough to eat, you wouldn't thrive. You would become just a shadow of the person you could have been.

Suz

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
I am trying to understand this question about alpha. Everybody here is telling you that you shouldn't house two beardies together so your question about alpha doesn't make sense. My question is though why have a second beardie if you can't even afford all the other stuff for the tank??? Are you going to be able to afford all the crickets/dubias and other food that this beardie is goig to eat? Sorry to the OP and I don't mean to be rude or ugly so please excuse me if it sounds that way. No disrespect intended here at all. I would have made sure I could afford a second beardie and I had everything in place first before buying the beardie. Even if you rescued it or someone gave it to you. As everyone knows here keeping one beardie let lone two can be and is expensive. I also know that beardies pull at our heartstrings and we just jump in sometimes without thinking first. :D I've done it myself, not with beardies though. Just my humble opinion though!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom