Health

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Do you still have the light for night time or is that one of the things you took back.? They don't need any lights at night. And no colored bulbs at all. They like it cool and dark at night. If your temps drop below about 65°, you can get a ceramic heat emitter.

Deneen

Original Poster
Two 150 watt bulbs it will get there and more than likely hotter--- please watch those temps --- you only need a hot side of the tank - ambient 100 or so surface basking temp 105-110- this will change when the dragon reaches 6 months of age and will drop to 95-100 for surface basking temps

Do you still have the light for night time or is that one of the things you took back.? They don't need any lights at night. And no colored bulbs at all. They like it cool and dark at night. If your temps drop below about 65°, you can get a ceramic heat emitter.
Hello, I took the night light back. We’ll monitor the temperature at night. Thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you. She has a 40 gallon tank. The store replaced everything (tank, etc) so she started from the beginning. They weren’t sure if it was a virus but did mention a breeder issue. With the help from you all we increased lighting (see attached). My concern is the temperature. It’s currently rising and we’re at 92. What do we do if it doesn’t rise to 100?
That's good that the pet store changed some items for you. Are you still using 2 - 100 watt heat bulbs? It looks like the probe end to the yellow digital thermometers is dangling on the right side by the glass, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. If you prefer to use that probe thermometer in place of a temperature gun, the probe end would need to be laying (resting on) the actual basking spot right under the bulb and you would need to wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before getting your final basking temp. When a probe end is attached to the side of the glass, it's giving you the ambient air temp instead. Hope I explained that clearly for you. ;)

Deneen

Original Poster
That's good that the pet store changed some items for you. Are you still using 2 - 100 watt heat bulbs? It looks like the probe end to the yellow digital thermometers is dangling on the right side by the glass, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. If you prefer to use that probe thermometer in place of a temperature gun, the probe end would need to be laying (resting on) the actual basking spot right under the bulb and you would need to wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before getting your final basking temp. When a probe end is attached to the side of the glass, it's giving you the ambient air temp instead. Hope I explained that clearly for you. ;)
We had placed 1 Zoo Med 150 watt there and did away with the 2 however the temperature was not increasing. We did that for about 3 hrs. So we now have the 2 back in place (100 & 150) and the hot side is reading 99 so it’s slowly increasing. I put the probe under the rock as well. Whew this is a lot of work. I’m going to get a reader tomorrow. The pet store associates knows my family by name 😂.

Attachments

• IMG_9001.jpeg
    IMG_9001.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We had placed 1 Zoo Med 150 watt there and did away with the 2 however the temperature was not increasing. We did that for about 3 hrs. So we now have the 2 back in place (100 & 150) and the hot side is reading 99 so it’s slowly increasing. I put the probe under the rock as well. Whew this is a lot of work. I’m going to get a reader tomorrow. The pet store associates knows my family by name 😂.
Use your digital probe thermometer please--

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It definitely takes time to get everything just right and it can be very frustrating. One of my tanks is a temporary 40 gallon breeder and I only need a 50 watt basking bulb on the hot side to give me a basking surface temp of 102. I have it on a dimmer otherwise the basking temp would be about 108, my girl doesn't like it that hot. Since it's winter, I have to use a 40 watt bulb on the cool side to get that in the 80 to 85 range.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great the petstore exchanged everything, very surprising.
The lighting is the most important for their health. So it is a lot of work to get it all correct, but
once it gets setup then it's just maintenance for awhile.
Be sure the ambient temperatures overall are not exceeding around 82 or so, otherwise he or
she wont be able to cool off properly.

Tracie

Deneen

Original Poster
You have the probe on the floor of the tank?
Yes, so we’re still working on that hot side. We got to 100.
1. cool side is fluctuating between 77 & 80.
2. humidity is fluctuating between 20 & 30%

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, so we’re still working on that hot side. We got to 100.
1. cool side is fluctuating between 77 & 80.
2. humidity is fluctuating between 20 & 30%
Ok get the probe on the basking decor piece under the basking lamp- is the UVB placed so he can get under that as well? You got the temps on the cool side fine - humidity is fine --- work on getting the surface basking temp to 105-110 I am thinking its there since your getting floor temps of 100 - but you dont want those surface basking temps over 110 its going to be too hot - and the UVB should be 8-10 inches from the decor piece

Deneen

Original Poster
Ok get the probe on the basking decor piece under the basking lamp- is the UVB placed so he can get under that as well? You got the temps on the cool side fine - humidity is fine --- work on getting the surface basking temp to 105-110 I am thinking its there since your getting floor temps of 100 - but you dont want those surface basking temps over 110 its going to be too hot - and the UVB should be 8-10 inches from the decor piece
We have the UVB between the two basking lights so it’s in the middle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 19

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We have the UVB between the two basking lights so it’s in the middle.
Ok yep that is good -- hes under both of them - has he be been basking? They spend most of their time under the basking lights when they are little --- is he eating? what are you feeding?

Deneen

Original Poster
Ok yep that is good -- hes under both of them - has he be been basking? They spend most of their time under the basking lights when they are little --- is he eating? what are you feeding?
1. Basking side is now 102. We had to add a 100 watt basking light to the 150 watt basking light. As you previously stated we’ll need to watch the temperature.

2. We got the CHE because this morning the temperature was 67 on both hot and cool side. My question is which side do you put the CHE on at night time?

3. This morning about 9’ish. We feed Roman (beardies name) 14 crickets w/calcium.

4. In the cage is collard greens and carrots w/a sprinkle of a multivitamin. We had he/she collard greens earlier. It ate well. Question: the owner gave beardie 2 worms yesterday. So do we feed worms as a treat maybe on Thursday (5 days)?

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom