Health

Deneen

We purchased a baby bearded from Pet Smart for our 14y daughter for Christmas. We did everything the associate told us but the dragon wouldn’t eat so we returned it to learn that it was dying. They exchanged her for another beardie which appeared to be healthy. Again, we followed what the associate said to do. She/He wouldn’t eat the crickets so they told us to put them in a bowl. We did just that. Originally, the beardie was moving about but today my daughter came how to a deceased beardie. She’s devastated! What are we doing wrong.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
We purchased a baby bearded from Pet Smart for our 14y daughter for Christmas. We did everything the associate told us but the dragon wouldn’t eat so we returned it to learn that it was dying. They exchanged her for another beardie which appeared to be healthy. Again, we followed what the associate said to do. She/He wouldn’t eat the crickets so they told us to put them in a bowl. We did just that. Originally, the beardie was moving about but today my daughter came how to a deceased beardie. She’s devastated! What are we doing wrong.
Hi. Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately most pet stores give you the wrong information and wrong set up. Can you post a picture of the set up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I responded on your other thread

Deneen

Original Poster
Hi. Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately most pet stores give you the wrong information and wrong set up. Can you post a picture of the set up?
Thank you for responding.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 29

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Work with @KarrieRee on the lights. Those are absolutely critical for them to thrive. I saw in the other thread that your temps were 30 and 70-80. Thrity degrees would likely kill a baby very quickly, an adult would struggle to survive it long. At 70 to 80 they will not be able to digest their food (if they'll even eat) and it leads to impaction (also deadly to babies most times).
Once the lighting is correct it's time to work on diet. Babies need calcium every day once a day. They need a good multivitamin 2 to 3 times per week. Do that along with proper lighting and they can tolerate most any other mistakes we make.
Please read through the self help guides here they are loaded with good info. Also please ask about ANYTHING your unsure of, we are all happy to help.
Also I'm sorry you had to experience the death of 2 babies. Beardies are amazing animals and quickly steal our hearts. You might consider getting your next one from a breeder. They are generally more healthy to start with. Morphmarket.com is a great place to see whats out there. There is some amazingly beautiful morphs available.

Deneen

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your thread. We followed everything that the pet store associate said both times (i.e temperature, food, etc). We were literally visiting and sharing every other day.

Deneen

Original Poster
I responded on your other thread
Hello
This is what they also had us purchase. We’re on our way back to the pet store with our bearded baby. We’ll purchase the other items that you advised as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8965.jpeg
    IMG_8965.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8966.jpeg
    IMG_8966.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8967.jpeg
    IMG_8967.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 29

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello
This is what they also had us purchase. We’re on our way back to the pet store with our bearded baby. We’ll purchase the other items that you advised as well.
The basking bulbs are ok- probably not good quality but they will work- exo Terra intense Arcadia halogens or flukers basking are good bulbs- the Arcadia pro t 5 12% 24 watt is a good uvb- sold at PetSmart - why are you taking the dragon back?

Deneen

Original Poster
The basking bulbs are ok- probably not good quality but they will work- exo Terra intense Arcadia halogens or flukers basking are good bulbs- the Arcadia pro t 5 12% 24 watt is a good uvb- sold at PetSmart - why are you taking the dragon back?
The dragon died :-( this morning it was full of life and energy but my daughter came home and it was gone. I immediately called the pet store because we followed all their advice.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If petsmart and petco are good at nothing else, they are very good at selling you exactly what you don't need.
Some of that stuff is ok, some is useless. Basking bulbs only have to produce heat and white light. As long as they do that they are fine. The pellets can be fed but real food is better. The cricket feed it ok, but avoid any food that has protein for dubias, if you like I can give you the explanation but the short answer is that the way they store it in their bodies can lead to gout in your beardie. Calcium is Calcium brand doesn't really matter as long as your using it. Also a lit if folk recommend and use calcium with d3, if your lighting is on par it's negligible.
For the uvb it's best to allocate your spending there. Buy high quality uvb. The Arcadia pro t5 desert 12% is a great setup. A lot of folk like and use the zoomed but I've had trouble with them so I don't use them personally. By all accounts the sunblasters are good but I haven't used them personally.
Another insider secret, buy the big habitat first. Me: 10 gallon, a week later 20 long, 2 months later 40 breeder, 3 more months the 120 4x2x2. I spent enough in small tanks to cover the big tank lol.

Deneen

Original Poster
If petsmart and petco are good at nothing else, they are very good at selling you exactly what you don't need.
Some of that stuff is ok, some is useless. Basking bulbs only have to produce heat and white light. As long as they do that they are fine. The pellets can be fed but real food is better. The cricket feed it ok, but avoid any food that has protein for dubias, if you like I can give you the explanation but the short answer is that the way they store it in their bodies can lead to gout in your beardie. Calcium is Calcium brand doesn't really matter as long as your using it. Also a lit if folk recommend and use calcium with d3, if your lighting is on par it's negligible.
For the uvb it's best to allocate your spending there. Buy high quality uvb. The Arcadia pro t5 desert 12% is a great setup. A lot of folk like and use the zoomed but I've had trouble with them so I don't use them personally. By all accounts the sunblasters are good but I haven't used them personally.
Another insider secret, buy the big habitat first. Me: 10 gallon, a week later 20 long, 2 months later 40 breeder, 3 more months the 120 4x2x2. I spent enough in small tanks to cover the big tank lol.
Thank you we are regrouping and taking advice.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello
Hi there, regarding the items you have there:

The basking bulb is fine, although from my personal experience with the brand Thrive fixtures burn out way quicker than say… zoomed, or something else. For reference, I used Thrive bulbs for quite some time and a bulb I bought burnt out a week after purchase. Not saying you have to chuck them, but next time try and get your hands on another brand if possible.

Cricket food is fine. Bowls are fine. You’ll most likely want to get your hands on fresh greens, freeze dried stuff is a bit lacking in the nutrients department. Collard greens, mustard greens, and kale are great options. Until you get your hands on a proper UVB fixture, use the calcium with D3 but afterwards move to calcium without D3.

You might want to buy some multivitamin powder as well, that can be supplemented 2x a week. Once your beardie gets good with eating their greens, you can leave it out of their diet. Calcium should be supplemented 5x a week. Also, when you pick up your new friend can you post a picture? It would help to get an idea of their physical condition.

Deneen

Original Poster
Hi there, regarding the items you have there:

The basking bulb is fine, although from my personal experience with the brand Thrive fixtures burn out way quicker than say… zoomed, or something else. For reference, I used Thrive bulbs for quite some time and a bulb I bought burnt out a week after purchase. Not saying you have to chuck them, but next time try and get your hands on another brand if possible.

Cricket food is fine. Bowls are fine. You’ll most likely want to get your hands on fresh greens, freeze dried stuff is a bit lacking in the nutrients department. Collard greens, mustard greens, and kale are great options. Until you get your hands on a proper UVB fixture, use the calcium with D3 but afterwards move to calcium without D3.

You might want to buy some multivitamin powder as well, that can be supplemented 2x a week. Once your beardie gets good with eating their greens, you can leave it out of their diet. Calcium should be supplemented 5x a week. Also, when you pick up your new friend can you post a picture? It would help to get an idea of their physical condition.
Thank you so much. The pet store is going to exchange all our old items and replace with all new items. This is just to ensure there wasn’t a virus. So we’re grateful for that. In addition, we’re going to purchase the light bulbs suggested as well. I’ll most certainly upload a picture of our new family member. This community has definitely given us the support we so desperately need to move forward. My daughter was sad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We can all give advice most on here have been here for a while and started here for help -- the most important thing in that tank is surface basking temps and UVB--- once you get those things on par and your dragon starts to settle in his appetite will pick up very quickly - it may be off at first its called relocation stress so just keep offering fresh salads Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated--- a staple insect like crickets dubia roaches BSFL these are great for babies www.symtonbsf.com or silk worms --- the dragon needs calcium D3 once per feeding lightly coated on the main insect- 5 x per week for the first year --- your UVB is going to help him utilize and synthesize that D3 - please offer salads and insects first thing in the morning use the BSFL to lure the dragon to the salad bowl - add them to the salad in front of him so it gets his attention -- feed like 20 at a time if he really likes them he will gobble them down to fast and they will come out undigested --- I can post websites for the roaches and other worms - its cheaper to get them off the internet -- when you get the UVB please let me know I will help you get it placed for the tank - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom