Health

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
1. Basking side is now 102. We had to add a 100 watt basking light to the 150 watt basking light. As you previously stated we’ll need to watch the temperature.

2. We got the CHE because this morning the temperature was 67 on both hot and cool side. My question is which side do you put the CHE on at night time?

3. This morning about 9’ish. We feed Roman (beardies name) 14 crickets w/calcium.

4. In the cage is collard greens and carrots w/a sprinkle of a multivitamin. We had he/she collard greens earlier. It ate well. Question: the owner gave beardie 2 worms yesterday. So do we feed worms as a treat maybe on Thursday (5 days)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The tank at 67 ambient is good - if you need to use it place it top center of the screen -- you dont want it over 75 at night-- the dragon should be eating 20-25 crickets ball park at one feeding dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect -- w/ salad offered you may need to get some BSFL to use as salad lure let me know if you want them I will post a website to order them they are a great staple feeder for babies and good hand tamers -- second feeding crickets or staple only no dusting-- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect -- fresh salads offered every day --- what kind of worms were fed?

Deneen

Original Poster
The tank at 67 ambient is good - if you need to use it place it top center of the screen -- you dont want it over 75 at night-- the dragon should be eating 20-25 crickets ball park at one feeding dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect -- w/ salad offered you may need to get some BSFL to use as salad lure let me know if you want them I will post a website to order them they are a great staple feeder for babies and good hand tamers -- second feeding crickets or staple only no dusting-- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect -- fresh salads offered every day --- what kind of worms were fed?
Let me reiterate to be make sure I got it.
1. Morning feed 20-25 crickets dusted w/cal D3.

2. Salad add BSFL (may I have the site to order) and this is offered every day?

3. PM feeding crickets or a staple (staple is that the worm) plain?

4. Worms are mealworms (but I haven’t given them as of right now)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let me reiterate to be make sure I got it.
1. Morning feed 20-25 crickets dusted w/cal D3.

2. Salad add BSFL (may I have the site to order) and this is offered every day?

3. PM feeding crickets or a staple (staple is that the worm) plain?

4. Worms are mealworms (but I haven’t given them as of right now)
Please no meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs --- the exoskeleton - if you want to feed worms feed some super worms on top of his salads 1-3 every couple of days and you can also get horn worms order small feed right away every day they grow very fast and will out grow him - I would get medium size super worms ---- next the amount of crickets is determined by how many he can eat in a 10-15 min time frame - please do not leave any in the tank --- so drop them in 2 at a time let him eat them -- next the BSFL are fed every day on top of his salads --- if he really goes for them I would feed 20 at a time sometimes they eat them so fast w/ out chewing them up and they come out undigested -- the staple is the main insect your feeding---- BSFL do not need to be dusted they are calcium enriched -- I am posting some websites for you for feeders/ worms its going to be cheaper to get these on line --- pet stores are expensive -- I would recommend you switch him over to dubia roaches as well - those you wont feed as many as they are more filling - Blaze ate around 10-15 appropriately sized - order the insect no bigger than the space between his eyes -- look at the chart on the website I am posting for dubias and the horn worms - this site also has the BSFL also known as nutri grubs you wont need to feed them they come in a dirt that is the food - you can keep them on the counter or w/ the dragons things -- I like the BSFL from this website better www.symtonbsf.com --- this site also carries roaches as well but they dont have the chart so I am posting the website for the roach chart www.dubiaroaches.com -- the dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration and other things like carrots sweet potato squash oranges grapes etc -- start off w/ small amount of dubias first --- some dragons really like crickets and not roaches and sometimes its the other way around --- I know mine did not like crickets -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look good there. The temperatures are fine, at 102F but since you are using 2 basking
lights definitely keep an eye on the temperatures. You can use the ceramic heat emitter for a little
while overnight to help keep the temperatures up a little bit. I wouldn't think you should need it
during the day though.
The overnight temperatures of 67 is good. You could raise it to 70-75F if needed.
The worms can be given a couple of times weekly, no problem. The roaches are very popular
& crickets are good too if your dragon eats them. I think you will be able to find plenty of insects to
order online.

Tracie

Deneen

Original Poster
Hello,

That does look good there. The temperatures are fine, at 102F but since you are using 2 basking
lights definitely keep an eye on the temperatures. You can use the ceramic heat emitter for a little
while overnight to help keep the temperatures up a little bit. I wouldn't think you should need it
during the day though.
The overnight temperatures of 67 is good. You could raise it to 70-75F if needed.
The worms can be given a couple of times weekly, no problem. The roaches are very popular
& crickets are good too if your dragon eats them. I think you will be able to find plenty of insects to
order online.

Tracie
Hello Tracie, we’re excited that it’s going better this time around w/the help of this community. The cool side in the morning is reading low 70’s. The hot side was reading 67. Should we put the CHE on this side (hot side)?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear the specs are doing well.
Where does he sleep, on the cooler end or more towards the basking end?
You could probably place the ceramic heat emitter on the cooler end, if that is where he sleeps
at night.

Tracie

Deneen

Original Poster
Hello,

That's good to hear the specs are doing well.
Where does he sleep, on the cooler end or more towards the basking end?
You could probably place the ceramic heat emitter on the cooler end, if that is where he sleeps
at night.

Tracie
Good Morning
Since Saturday, he’s been sleeping on the hot side. This morning the temp on the hot side inside of 67 was 77. Is that okay?

Deneen

Original Poster
BEARDIE UPDATE 3months
Hopefully we’re doing everything right and making progress.

Basking Side: 100-104
Ambient Side: 80-88
Cool Side: 75-80
Humidity: 20-30

Feeding Schedule:
Sunday 01.14
Between 7:30A & 8A:
15 crickets (calcium)
Collard greens w/carrots w/multivitamin throughout the day

Monday 01.15
Between 5:45 & 6A:
20 crickets (calcium)
Collard greens w/multivitamin throughout the day

Tuesday 01.16
Between 5:45 & 6A: 20 crickets (calcium)
Collard greens/butter squash/3 super worms were added in the evening

*is this the correct amount to order:
NutriGrubs 200 & 18 small hornworms (1 per week hopefully they don’t grow to big)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Everything in the setup looks good. You are using a
digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures,
correct?
It looks like he has great nutritional variety which will
help him out a lot. Are you going to be ordering weekly
on the insects?
If he is 3 months old, he will eat quite a bit so you can
order in bulk to save money if it's something that wont
grow too big too quickly.

Tracie

Deneen

Original Poster
Hi Tracie
I am using the zoo med digital probe which is placed on the floor underneath the basking light. I’m in NJ so weather permitting today we’re going to go buy the rectangler pavers and slate topper for the ambient side of the tank as well.

Deneen

Original Poster
On the dubia roaches it said don’t buy more than a months supplies. I wasn’t going to use the first order to determine how many to buy in bulk. They have an auto ship?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Tracie
I am using the zoo med digital probe which is placed on the floor underneath the basking light. I’m in NJ so weather permitting today we’re going to go buy the rectangler pavers and slate topper for the ambient side of the tank as well.
What is this? rectangler pavers and slate topper -- buying around 200 roaches to keep in a 10 gallon aquarium is good - roaches last a long time -- keep them fed w/dubia food and dubia dew and feed stuff you feed the dragon ---- mine are not hot on greens but like fruit sweet potato squashes etc --- no carrots to both of them tho feed one or the other its too much Vit A and you will end up w/ orange poop

Deneen

Original Poster
Just another basking spot that’s flat. I read this is good for them. So I’ll stay with the butter squash included in the daily salad for now and monitor if he likes it. He does eat the collard greens and likes to be fed them as well. I’m afraid of the roaches so I thought we start with the nutrigrub first. He did eat the super worms. We fed him one by one to ensure he was eating them.

Attachments

• IMG_9024.jpg
    IMG_9024.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 20

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just another basking spot that’s flat. I read this is good for them. So I’ll stay with the butter squash included in the daily salad for now and monitor if he likes it. He does eat the collard greens and likes to be fed them as well. I’m afraid of the roaches so I thought we start with the nutrigrub first. He did eat the super worms. We fed him one by one to ensure he was eating them.
Make sure you keep an eye on the surface basking temps- slate gets very hot and you want your probe to get those temps-- super worms are treat worms not a staple feeder - the nutri grubs / BSFL are good staples but they will eat A LOT of them since they are small --- dubias are harmless and more filling -

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom