aggresive beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
:D I will be getting my new beardie next week but i heard that he can be agressive so I needed to know what to do to get it to be calm if it gets agressive toward me.

Thanx

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
How do you know the beardie is aggressive? How old will the beardie be when you get him?
If he is an older beardie, he may be aggressive from lack of handling
but if he is a hatchling, beardies are not typically aggressive

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Who did you hear from that he can be aggressive? Is it a hatchling, or is it going to be a "rescue" dragon?

As the previous poster said, babies are not aggressive unless they've been through trauma. Older beardies can be aggressive because of the environment they've been in.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well he is about a year and a half old and Is fully grown. He was bought from a petstore . My friend is the owner and she said he is aggressive . She only mentioned it being agressive after mateing maybe because the female was agressive toward the beardie im about to get. I have experience wit h tameing aggresive iguanas.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
In what way is he aggressive? How often does she handle him, and how does she handle him?

If he's only just gotten aggressive after mating, that leads me to believe he still has raging hormones running through his body. How long ago was the mating? If it's been quite some time, then something else is bothering him to make him aggressive.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
And if it isn't from mating, I agree that something else is going on. Beardies are not TYPICALLY aggressive,etc.
Make sure you have your set up ready for him (shouldnt be on ANY loose substrate etc).
And it would also help if we knew what your friend meant by saying aggressive.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just found out the he is actually a she and I do know that my friend tried to put her hands in the tank while the beardie was watching her eggs. I got my story a little mixed up. Sorry

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Charizard1":y41zchfk said:
I just found out the he is actually a she and I do know that my friend tried to put her hands in the tank while the beardie was watching her eggs. I got my story a little mixed up. Sorry

They don't "watch" their eggs... so that wouldn't have had a bearing on it. How long has it been since she laid eggs? She could be getting ready to lay again, which could be causing her to be aggressive...and how often did your friend handle her before the supposed aggression started?

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:D sorry I was just useing the word watching because I don't know what beardies do with their eggs. I only know that my friend was handling the beardie during the time after the eggs were layed. My guess is that the mama beardie didn't like my friend putting her hands in the tank with the eggs in it. I'm guessing the beardie did not trust her and still doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom