Beardie going crazy?

Rokshox71

Beardie name(s)
Ace
Hi All,
My beardie came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago. She no longer seems to want to be in her terraraium (48"W x 18"D x 24"H). I mean she'll sit in there for a lil bit basking and then all of a sudden start glass surfing and trying to get out. At first, i'd grab her and she was happy running around the room, looking for new things and relaxing in some of her favorite dark spots (i'll often let her fall asleep and stay there over night, putting her back in terrarium after she awakes so she can back and eat. She has no problems getting picked up and will often climb on my chest to watch tv with me. Now however, it seems like she is trying to get out of the room, trying to climb and scratching the room door. Any ideas on what is going on, what i can do, should i be worried, or will she calm down eventually?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi All,
My beardie came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago. She no longer seems to want to be in her terraraium (48"W x 18"D x 24"H). I mean she'll sit in there for a lil bit basking and then all of a sudden start glass surfing and trying to get out. At first, i'd grab her and she was happy running around the room, looking for new things and relaxing in some of her favorite dark spots (i'll often let her fall asleep and stay there over night, putting her back in terrarium after she awakes so she can back and eat. She has no problems getting picked up and will often climb on my chest to watch tv with me. Now however, it seems like she is trying to get out of the room, trying to climb and scratching the room door. Any ideas on what is going on, what i can do, should i be worried, or will she calm down eventually?
How old is she? Any digging?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She is about a year and a half. She's scratching the door and walls, so i guess some digging?
She may be gravid -- please get a dig box for her
LAYBOX

Plain topsoil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi All,
My beardie is doing the exact same thing. He is constantly glass surfing to the point that he’s actually scratched the sliding doors of his new terrarium up… I’m thinking of putting up some cardboard to minimize the damage, but what’s done is already done.

I might actually have to buy some new doors…

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My beardie is doing the exact same thing. He is constantly glass surfing to the point that he’s actually scratched the sliding doors of his new terrarium up… I’m thinking of putting up some cardboard to minimize the damage, but what’s done is already done.

I might actually have to buy some new doors…
Someone ask me about the acrylic doors on Sinatra's habitat when i got it. I said he doesn't really glass surf BAAAHHHH he has DESTROYED those danged doors.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Someone ask me about the acrylic doors on Sinatra's habitat when i got it. I said he doesn't really glass surf BAAAHHHH he has DESTROYED those danged doors.
I remember you talking about this when you installed the acrylic window for Sinatra :)

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
He’s got the acrylic doors as well- he’s destroyed those things in not even a week. To say Im not absolutely surprised would be a lie 🤣

Rokshox71

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
She may be gravid -- please get a dig box for her
LAYBOX

Plain topsoil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water.
Thank you, any suggestion on length and width of the dig box? Also, she doesn't seem to be so much digging as trying to escape elsewhere (out of her enclosure, then out of the room), because i did open the bedroom door and she went out to the new area, explored for a while then found a place to go to rest/sleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, any suggestion on length and width of the dig box? Also, she doesn't seem to be so much digging as trying to escape elsewhere (out of her enclosure, then out of the room), because i did open the bedroom door and she went out to the new area, explored for a while then found a place to go to rest/sleep.
Deep enough for the 10-12 inches -- maybe 24 inches I am guessing -- ahbd can help here
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can try one like this, my girls used for years. I don't have the exact size but about 22-24" L by 10-11" W by 7-8" Deep. I would leave just enough space for them to get in, had a log next to it so they could climb up but I would sometimes just place them in the opening. You can also look up laybox on youtube.
1705790660814.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look good there, she should have plenty of
room to dig a burrow. Be sure to give extra calcium if
she does start to lay!

Tracie

Rokshox71

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
You can try one like this, my girls used for years. I don't have the exact size but about 22-24" L by 10-11" W by 7-8" Deep. I would leave just enough space for them to get in, had a log next to it so they could climb up but I would sometimes just place them in the opening. You can also look up laybox on youtube.
View attachment 86786
Thank you both for your help. I'm gonna set that up, but she really looks more to be exploring and wanting to find new places outside of the walls she's confined to. I say this because when i do let her out into a new area (and give her a hide), she explores it for a while then comes back to the office and finds a dark area she's used to to lay down. As i type this, though, maybe she is looking for a place to lay .

Thank you for the youtube suggesion too :)

Rokshox71

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
I set this up on the cool side of her vivarium and she has yet to go into it on her own and hasn’t dug at all. She still scrambles looking for ways out. I wonder if she may have come out of brumation too early because here in Texas we just hot cold again and are gonna warm up for a bit now too, ha
IMG_2901.jpeg

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom