Vocalizations

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
At first I thought I was crazy, then I thought maybe I was squeezing her or making her uncomfortable, then I thought maybe I was scaring her. Tonight Sweet Pea was just setting on my chest and being calm when she done it. At random times she makes this little noise that sounds like a dog whimpering or whining. (For lack of a better way to describe it) It's not just air being exhaled or hissing, it actually has a vocal component to it. No black beard, stress marks or indication of pain. And it seems to be completely random. To be honest it is cute as hell, but I've never heard any of my others do it.
So my question is, does anyone else have a beardie that is vocal? Or have any explanation as to how or why she does it?
I wish I could get a video of it, but it is so friggen random.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
very interesting! i've always heard that they don't make noise other than hissing. i think jabda's got it right though. lol!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I wish I could get it on video. It last may 2 to 4 seconds when she does it. It might could be described as a sigh, but it's more somewhere between a sigh and a whimmper. She's been doing it for maybe a month to a month and a half. I'll hear it a couple times a week.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Not sure if it's the same but my boy was sitting on my chest last week and made like a little purring sound. Not like a cat, it was more like clicking sounds but had a rhythm to it. Hard to describe...like a baby raptor in those dinosaur movies 🤣
He drank some water before that so I thought it was maybe some swallowing noise....

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
You should definitely get it on video.
I would visually check what is happening in her throat while she is gaping.
I've never heard it when her mouth is open, but if I can catch her gaping I will try to get a picture of her throat to see if anything looks off. I may have to rework her lights though. The one in her favorite spot isn't hot enough to make her gape, the one that is, faces her away from me so a picture will be hard to get.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Not sure if it's the same but my boy was sitting on my chest last week and made like a little purring sound. Not like a cat, it was more like clicking sounds but had a rhythm to it. Hard to describe...like a baby raptor in those dinosaur movies 🤣
He drank some water before that so I thought it was maybe some swallowing noise....
Zem swishes his water before he will swallow it, sometimes if everything is quite I can hear it and it does click just a little but not really to the point it sounds like your describing. It's kind of weird, he isn't a Dunner (they are know for holding food in their throats). Neither of my actual dunners do that, go figure lol.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
At first I thought I was crazy, then I thought maybe I was squeezing her or making her uncomfortable, then I thought maybe I was scaring her. Tonight Sweet Pea was just setting on my chest and being calm when she done it. At random times she makes this little noise that sounds like a dog whimpering or whining. (For lack of a better way to describe it) It's not just air being exhaled or hissing, it actually has a vocal component to it. No black beard, stress marks or indication of pain. And it seems to be completely random. To be honest it is cute as hell, but I've never heard any of my others do it.
So my question is, does anyone else have a beardie that is vocal? Or have any explanation as to how or why she does it?
I wish I could get a video of it, but it is so friggen random.
Leo makes little snorting noises every now and the, so you’re not alone. It’s super cute though ♥️

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
That's what was happening to me also 😅
No idea why he only does that while on my shoulder though....
I guess (at least with Taco) the sound would also be there if he licks things in the enclosure - but it's then more muffled and I won't hear it. But on my shoulder next to my ear...
And I could think about he's licking more when being on the shoulder, as obviously that's where he spends less time compared to time in the enclosure, and there might be more scents and a variety of scents which otherwise aren't present: people's own scent, sweat, what you've eaten, body care products, the fabric, traces of detergent... Tons of things :D

Btw: It's a sound very similar to water dripping slowly. :D

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I guess (at least with Taco) the sound would also be there if he licks things in the enclosure - but it's then more muffled and I won't hear it. But on my shoulder next to my ear...
And I could think about he's licking more when being on the shoulder, as obviously that's where he spends less time compared to time in the enclosure, and there might be more scents and a variety of scents which otherwise aren't present: people's own scent, sweat, what you've eaten, body care products, the fabric, traces of detergent... Tons of things :D

Btw: It's a sound very similar to water dripping slowly. :D
Luis is more like smacking or clapping with his chaw about four or five times in a row. He does it nowhere else...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom