Adventures of (: *UPDATE - help? - pictures!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread about my two favorite little Beardie, Fiz :D And his brother KD
"Your hand is nice and cozy... I think I like you!"
FizInMyHand.jpg

He's giving me the stinkeye "Get that camera out of my face before I eat it AND you"
Fiz.jpg

He's such a sweetheart! I love him a lot & I love Bearded Dragons now!

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hmmm i''ll have to go and get some. I tried to rub it a little but he's missing so many scales on the end of his tail that its a whitish color in those spots. My poor buddy.

By any chance do you know if scales will regrow??

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys! :D

Sorry about not uploading the holiday pictures of Fiz and KD like i said i would. My camera is acting up so ill attempt to upload them tomorrow! They may be a little late, but theyll get uploaded eventually!

Anyway, today was a lazy day for KD, Fiz, and I. After being handled all day on Christmas Eve like a petting zoo attraction, my little buddies were exhausted! Theyre currently lounging in their tank roght now. KD chose a floor basking spot over his usual basking rock, and Fiz settled on being upright against the corner of his tank, looking at the room around him.

As i type i have a whole half of butternut squash softening in the microwave. Its a little late for eating but they havent gotten much to eat today. They havent had their squash in a while, so hopefully theyll be happy with their belated dinner. Better late than never, right? Haha :D

Hoping Fiz's retained tail shed will come off.

Kalyn, could i use some beeswax chapstick or something and rub a little on his tail? Chapstick is used for moistening chapped or dry lips, so maybe itll loosen up the shed?

Hoping everyone had a good Holiday!

than never right than

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like Fiz and Kd had a very merry Christmas :)

I'm not sure of the ingredients in the beeswax. All I know definitely is the pure cocoa butter is safe..
I couldn't see why the Chapstick would be harmful but I'm just not 100% sure.

Have a great day guys!

Kalyn

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes, they had a holly jolly holiday! :D

Kalyn: this may be a dumb question but where would i find the cocoa butter? Like, what section in a store? THANKS!

Hmm, i was just wondering about the beeswax chapstick because if i cant find the cocoa butter ill have a second option. I thought of the beeswax because it seems like beeswax chapstick is the next most natural thing compared to cocoa butter.

Thanks again for your help, Kalyn!!

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Some members get it at the dollar store, I get mine in the moisturizer dept in my local grocery store. When looking at ingredients the less the better.

Kalyn

jewl495

Juvie Member
Hey pumpkinjelly,
Im so glad to hear that Fiz went poo for ya. :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: I figured he was just being a little monster haha! Has he gone since then?
As for the Cocoa butter, you will find it possibly in a store that has an organic section and it should be by the baking section/ oils. You can also use olive oil although I have read that it doesn't work quite as well as the cocoa butter. I dont know how often, or how many days in a row you can apply either of those. So you may want to ask about that of you use the oil.

Julie

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Kalyn: i'll check there as i may be going to the store tomorrow!

Julie: He was being a little monster by not pooping for me! But he didnt poop today. I was devastated. It may just have been because he didnt have much to eat today. I ran out of crickets in the morning, and i didnt get home until later. They got a salad each and the remainder of the crickets. Im hoping that the lack of food is causing him to not pass the food as quick and that hes not constipated again, i bought some flukers repti boost today so if he doesnt poop again in a few days ill limit his diet to squash (mashed to the consistency of baby food) and the flukers repti boost.

Id also like to share that i may start to order crickets in the thousands soon! Im going to build an enclosure for the crickets! So im happy about that!

Shiva

Hatchling Member
Regarding the missing scales...I have a corn snake that as a baby became stuck to duck tape and lost a few scales when removed. Those missing scales have never grown back (2 years later) there are just small white areas where the orange scale had been.

IMO I would be hesitant with rubbing a wax on his tail if the wound is still healing. Is there still as scab or did it fall off? Does it seem to still hurt him if touched? if the wound has not healed and u rub in a waxy ingredient you may rub in some bacteria and the waxy substance will hold in bacteria causing an infection.
If it is completely healed and just not wanting to shed, then the above comment does not apply. I would go with coco butter rather than beeswax. I think the wax would hold moisture in but does not actually add moisture, where as the coco butter adds moisture.

Good luck with the tail. Love your set up btw :)

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The tip of his tail is just like your snake's. Theres greyish white patches wherever the scales have fallen off.

When i examine it, a few scales fall off the tip, revealing more white in some places. So i guess it is an open wound. I mean, whenever i examine it he'll kick me :oops: with his back foot. Yesterday and today when i examined his tail, he waved his hand a couple times and then slightly headbobbed. Im guessing that its painful. It looks pretty painful. I dont go poking and prodding at him, i just give it a quick look and then gently reapply a coat of neosporin. Theres some improvement from before but not much. I dont know what to do, really. Any suggestions on healing him up? Im pretty worried.

And Fiz has yet to poop yet, either. I gave him a warm bath today and massaged his belly, but no poop. He's been eating nothing but small crickets and butternut squash these past couple of days. I dont know what to do about that either. I have some ........... .. Repti-Boost by Flukers on hand. If he doesnt poop tomorrow, i will just give him some Repti-Boost on Friday instead od

jewl495

Juvie Member
I think I would keep using the neosporin on his tail for a few more days and then I would stop and leave it alone. It takes time for them to heal up but they are usually just fine and the scales may or may not come back but it could take weeks/months for that to happen. Since they are so little and shedding all the time it will be sooner than later.

As for the pooping I would just use the syringe that came with the reptiboost and give him some extra fluids. There really is no need to give him the reptiboost at this time. I would let him keep eating like normal. He may just be getting to that age where he's just not going to poop everyday. How are his urates, are they soft or firm? Are his stools formed?
Julie

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay ill use the neosporin for a few more days and then stop. Is it normal for scales to fall off like this when an injury occurs?

Ill try to give him some water but im a little nervous to use the syringe. Any tips on how to do it? Ive never done it before.

Hes really not that old, though. According to my last measurement he was in the 9 - 10 inch range. Im guessing hes about 4-5 months old. But i wouldnt think theyd start changing theirbehaviors until they were at least 6-8 months. KD is related to him and i believe theyre about the same age but KD is a whopping 11 inches. He's huge!!!!!!!!! I wouldve thought KD would change before Fizzy would. KD is a pooping machine. He poops 1-2 times a day and Fiz was also like that until recently.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
For the syringe, just put a drop on their nose and eventually they will lick it off. Keep it up and you will have them trained that syringe means water yay!

Have you tried a slightly warmer than usual bath and rubbing his belly toward the vent?

Kalyn

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Kalyn, he normally never licks anything off of his nose. He will just look at me and let it roll down his head or his chin. I'll try but im not sure if he'll lick it up.

As for the baths, yes. I make it as warm as possible and then i rub towards his vent. It usually always works when he's not constipated, but when he is (like now) it takes forever to make him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom