1 month old

Mollysn28

Hi guys. Ok, tiny 1 month old. 4×2x2 tank. Does my set up look right? Have 50 watt bulb in the basking spot. He's been going up there a lot. Temp gage on the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222_132639_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222_132639_Instagram.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 143

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys. Ok, tiny 1 month old. 4×2x2 tank. Does my set up look right? Have 50 watt bulb in the basking spot. He's been going up there a lot. Temp gage on the way.
I would recommend putting up card board sectioning off the tank into 1/3 for now-- I am guessing the 50 watt bulb is no where near enough for surface basking temps of 105-110 that needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need two of them-- I see you have a long tube for uvb what is the brand and bulb please-- it has good placement but we also need good distance-

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As long as the basking reaches between 105 and 110, you should be good.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
The enclosure is a good pick. Lights can use improvement. There are thermostats such as HerpStat2 that you can plug both the heat and UVB into it so it will monitor the hot spot and act as your timer. There are other brands too. There are also just Timers to plug your lights into to keep an even day/night schedule for your baby. 12 hour days and a hot basking spot of about 105-110°F is good for baby. They grow so quick they need lots of heat, UVB, and multiple insect meals daily with calcium supplements and multivitamin supplements

Knowing what exact UVB you have would be very helpful. Arcadia T5 12% or Reptisun T5 10.0 HO with a reflector hood are both great options, it's nice to see your UVB on the inside of the enclosure 👍. Something about 34 inches long would be better so there is more coverage for the future

Mollysn28

Original Poster
The enclosure is a good pick. Lights can use improvement. There are thermostats such as HerpStat2 that you can plug both the heat and UVB into it so it will monitor the hot spot and act as your timer. There are other brands too. There are also just Timers to plug your lights into to keep an even day/night schedule for your baby. 12 hour days and a hot basking spot of about 105-110°F is good for baby. They grow so quick they need lots of heat, UVB, and multiple insect meals daily with calcium supplements and multivitamin supplements

Knowing what exact UVB you have would be very helpful. Arcadia T5 12% or Reptisun T5 10.0 HO with a reflector hood are both great options, it's nice to see your UVB on the inside of the enclosure 👍. Something about 34 inches long would be better so there is more coverage for the future

Ok...it's a reptisun 10.0. So do you recommend a 100watt for the basking? I have a thermostat gage/gun coming tmmrw. In the meantime I'm just going by his actions. He spends a lot of time right under the heat light at the very top. When I touched him earlier he was warm. Not hot, but warm. Also, you recommend 3× feeding a day? We gave him a couple meal worms today. The guy at the reptile store said to not engage or feed him for 3 days so he can get used to the tank. But he hadn't eaten since 2 days ago when we paid for him and they held him for us in the back of the store. And he seemed hungry, so we didn't listen to the guy. We fed him. So, 100watt you recommend? If it still doesn't reach 105 F after the 100 watt, should I add a red heat light? And will he be ok for 2 days while we play around and figure all this out? Lol. Sorry lot of questions.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No colored light EVER they damage their eyes. For night time heat use a ceramic heat emitter. Beardies like to sleep in the dark. If your habitat don't drop below 70 they don't need night time heat. If the basking still don't reach 105 make it a little closer to the bulb. Don't get it close enough that your beardie can get burned though.
Babies need a TON of protein, they grow incredibly fast and need protein to do so. Dust with calcium once per day and multivitamins 3 to 4 times pet week. Feed them as many appropriately sized insects as they will eat in 10 to 15 minutes twice to three times per day. They need a couple hours basking after the last feeding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok...it's a reptisun 10.0. So do you recommend a 100watt for the basking? I have a thermostat gage/gun coming tmmrw. In the meantime I'm just going by his actions. He spends a lot of time right under the heat light at the very top. When I touched him earlier he was warm. Not hot, but warm. Also, you recommend 3× feeding a day? We gave him a couple meal worms today. The guy at the reptile store said to not engage or feed him for 3 days so he can get used to the tank. But he hadn't eaten since 2 days ago when we paid for him and they held him for us in the back of the store. And he seemed hungry, so we didn't listen to the guy. We fed him. So, 100watt you recommend? If it still doesn't reach 105 F after the 100 watt, should I add a red heat light? And will he be ok for 2 days while we play around and figure all this out? Lol. Sorry lot of questions.
Basking bulbs are trial and error - your not going to know what the temp is until you get the digital probe thermometers - dont change the bulb out till you get that then you can either move the basking decor closer to the bulb no more than 6" inches tho- or see what the temp is and then decide moving the decor piece or get a higher wattage bulb---- DO NOT listen to the guy at the pet store you need to feed that baby now - please NO more meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs - feed either crickets or dubia roaches I recommend those - BSFL also known as phoenix worms / calci worms / nutri grubs-- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies and a good compliment to the roaches -- take the BSFL use them as lures to his salad bowl --- do not dust the BSFL they are high in calcium but you need to dust the crickets or the roaches - I recommend setting up a 10 gallon tank and order 200 roaches feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration and what you feed the dragon for salads - please do not feed the dragon and roaches carrots too much Vit A feed one or the other - you need to order the size of the roaches no bigger than the space between his eyes - go by the chart on the website I am posting and I would order some medium BSFL/ nutri grubs -
www.dubiaroaches.com get him some small super worms and feed those every couple of days 1-3 on top of his salads as well
www.symtonbsf.com
your going to need a bowl to keep them in these make great salad bowls https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed the salads and the BSFL first thing in the morning then add your roaches to the bowl about a hr later feed as many as he will eat in 15 min or so -- he will eat around 15 or so I am guessing depending on how many BSFL he eats first - follow his lead - roaches are more nutritional than crickets and easier to keep - you need to gut load the roaches at night so when you feed in the morning they are good and full - hes probably going thru relocation stress so his eating is going to be off but as he becomes more acclimated to the tank his appetite is going to pick up --- I need the UVB bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8 that your using - this is crucial for distance look on the bulb under the writing for brand and on the bottom it should say T 5 or T 8
website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdates
Nutrition Content

Mollysn28

Original Poster
Basking bulbs are trial and error - your not going to know what the temp is until you get the digital probe thermometers - dont change the bulb out till you get that then you can either move the basking decor closer to the bulb no more than 6" inches tho- or see what the temp is and then decide moving the decor piece or get a higher wattage bulb---- DO NOT listen to the guy at the pet store you need to feed that baby now - please NO more meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs - feed either crickets or dubia roaches I recommend those - BSFL also known as phoenix worms / calci worms / nutri grubs-- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies and a good compliment to the roaches -- take the BSFL use them as lures to his salad bowl --- do not dust the BSFL they are high in calcium but you need to dust the crickets or the roaches - I recommend setting up a 10 gallon tank and order 200 roaches feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration and what you feed the dragon for salads - please do not feed the dragon and roaches carrots too much Vit A feed one or the other - you need to order the size of the roaches no bigger than the space between his eyes - go by the chart on the website I am posting and I would order some medium BSFL/ nutri grubs -
www.dubiaroaches.com get him some small super worms and feed those every couple of days 1-3 on top of his salads as well
www.symtonbsf.com
your going to need a bowl to keep them in these make great salad bowls https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed the salads and the BSFL first thing in the morning then add your roaches to the bowl about a hr later feed as many as he will eat in 15 min or so -- he will eat around 15 or so I am guessing depending on how many BSFL he eats first - follow his lead - roaches are more nutritional than crickets and easier to keep - you need to gut load the roaches at night so when you feed in the morning they are good and full - hes probably going thru relocation stress so his eating is going to be off but as he becomes more acclimated to the tank his appetite is going to pick up --- I need the UVB bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8 that your using - this is crucial for distance look on the bulb under the writing for brand and on the bottom it should say T 5 or T 8
Nutrition Content
Ok! You're awesome.. So you recommend a salad first thing in the morning. Got it. I'll look on amazon on what kind it is. That's where I bought it. What do you recommend on salad? Collared greens? Red lettuce? Also, the calcium I bought is strawberry banana flavor and has vitamin d in it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok! You're awesome.. So you recommend a salad first thing in the morning. Got it. I'll look on amazon on what kind it is. That's where I bought it. What do you recommend on salad? Collared greens? Red lettuce? Also, the calcium I bought is strawberry banana flavor and has vitamin d in it.
I posted a nutrition site for you look on that it will give you ideas of greens etc - calcium is good - dust the insects w/ the calcium and vitamins w/ beta carotene as well

Mollysn28

Original Poster
www.symtonbsf.com
Nutrition Content
I would recommend putting up card board sectioning off the tank into 1/3 for now-- I am guessing the 50 watt bulb is no where near enough for surface basking temps of 105-110 that needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need two of them-- I see you have a long tube for uvb what is the brand and bulb please-- it has good placement but we also need good distance-
Hi again. Gonna buy the reptisun. Is this sufficient? DBDPet Bundle with Zoomed Reptisun 22" 10.0 T5HO UV-B Bulb - Includes Attached Pro-Tip Guide - Great for Bearded Dragons, and Chameleons https : //a.co/d/iNI7L48...or what if i left my reptizoo uvb in there and used an all-in-one for the basking light? That way he'd be getting extra uvb...or not a good idea? And can you post a link on a good vitamin supplement? I bought the ceramic bowl btw. Thank you for that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi again. Gonna buy the reptisun. Is this sufficient? DBDPet Bundle with Zoomed Reptisun 22" 10.0 T5HO UV-B Bulb - Includes Attached Pro-Tip Guide - Great for Bearded Dragons, and Chameleons https : //a.co/d/iNI7L48...or what if i left my reptizoo uvb in there and used an all-in-one for the basking light? That way he'd be getting extra uvb...or not a good idea? And can you post a link on a good vitamin supplement? I bought the ceramic bowl btw. Thank you for that.
Are you buying a whole new fixture? Just changing the bulb out would be sufficient- I would not waste the money on a MVB- your T 5 is going to be fine just get the UVB bulb I posted for you- you can get Rep Cal vitamin w/ beta carotene https://www.chewy.com/rep-cal-herpt...2748&msclkid=f114574cf44a11e341cb34e52dce52f6
Make sure your using a Calcium D3 on his insects 5 x per week dusted one time per feeding - and the vitamins 2 x per week one time per feeding -

Mollysn28

Original Poster
Are you buying a whole new fixture? Just changing the bulb out would be sufficient- I would not waste the money on a MVB- your T 5 is going to be fine just get the UVB bulb I posted for you- you can get Rep Cal vitamin w/ beta carotene https://www.chewy.com/rep-cal-herpt...2748&msclkid=f114574cf44a11e341cb34e52dce52f6
Make sure your using a Calcium D3 on his insects 5 x per week dusted one time per feeding - and the vitamins 2 x per week one time per feeding -
Ok. This guy at Petsmart yesterday said NOT to use the calcium with vitamin D because my little guy has the uvb bar. Also, do you think I should place the uvb light right next to the basking light? So that when he's basking he is also directly under the uvb? Or where I have it in the middle is good? In the middle towards the back is where I have it now. Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get it right. I switched to 100w basking bulb. His high spot is now 100° F. Still not hot enough I know. So should I make his basking spot higher? It's already 12 inches under. Can it be closer? Or should I add a ceramic heater or something? Thanks again in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom