Tail Rot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long has it been like that ? Can you get a few closer pics with the paper towel as the background and one where you are holding her ? It's probably not but if this has just happened recently you'll want to find out what caused it, like possibly the tail getting closed in the lid or stepped on, etc.

buddhasmom

Original Poster
95931-4479483767.jpg
I just noticed it today, underneath the tail looks white and does not look dead, I am the only one who takes her out of the cage and no injuries have happened.
95931-9320672159.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you just noticed it today it may have gotten caught under something. That " wavy" area can also be due to a calcium deficiency but is usually not harmful to the dragon as long as you continue to use calcium supplements on the food and make sure your lighting is up to par to provide enough uvb.

What exact type + brand of lights do you use ?

buddhasmom

Original Poster
I calcium coat her dubias and veggies everyday and feed phoenix worms, I have a zoo med 75 basking bulb and I use the 10w zoo med uvb tube. However, I just adopted her about 3 weeks ago, and the owners before me were not using calicum or sufficent UVB, :cry: she came with that kink in her tail, do you think she has tail rot?? or incomplete shed?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's most likelt rippled slightly from a slight calcium deficiency and/or could also been caught in something briefly. It won't affect her quality of life at all as long as she's eating well now. How is she eating + acting otherwise ?

Is your Reptisun 10.0 a t8 or t5 ? T5 is the stronger one and can be kept on top of the screen, a t8 is bet mounted inside unless your screen is the type with larger holes.....some screen that is like flyscreen [ kind of like our window screens ] can block 35-40 % of the uvb.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No, it's not "Tail Rot", which is an active infection that spreads up the tail towards the body, killing all of the tissue along it's way (you'd know Tail Rot, trust me, the dead tissue turns black, shrivels, and falls off). The kink in the tail is most likely due to a Calcium Deficiency, if it got caught in a door or something similar and their is a Calcium Deficiency, it will not heal completely.

I highly suggest buying a brand new T5-strength UVB tube, best place is Amazon.com, cheapest place anyway. A 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube and a 24" T5-rated fixture for it will cost you under $50 shipped, and they are double the strength of the much weaker T8 strength tubes. Plus, the T8 tubes must be replaced once every 6 months, while the T5 tubes only need replaced once every year. They also don't have to be as close to him as the T8 tubes (6") but rather only 11". So this should help him recover from any start of MBD and keep him healthy from this point on. The kink in the tail will always be there, but it won't cause any harm or become infected.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tail rot can start under the scales + not really be visible until a piece of the outer skin + scales sloughs off just like a sleeve, leaving a thin bit that then dries up to look like the classic description of the shriveled piece that then dries + turns black .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom