World's first virtual reptile show [ ? ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Interesting. If that runs smoothly it may be a good way to go to reach a lot more people at once (and perhaps include even more vendors).

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure how one can reasonably
Browse thousands of Reptiles and Amphibians for sale directly from Breeders
[and]
communicate directly with Vendors in real time
in just 3 hours. :?: At least I couldn't.

It takes me that long to make the first round of a small (40-50 vendor) local show before going back & getting serious in a second round.

If I know exactly what I want, or want to see a particular vendor('s offerings), I think I can do that directly via searching, or visiting the vendors' sites, and not feel rushed. I might have to communicate via email or phone (who knows--breeders/vendors may add chat options in the near future, especially the longer things are locked down) but I'm OK with that.

For me, it just isn't a viable/worthwhile substitute for a real-world "regular" show.
But then...
I'm just an old fart--leave me alone. ---George Carlin

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes, I doubt many people will go for this but it's a little excursion for those who might be interested. At $5 it's not unreasonable and people can see different reptiles and zero in on the vendors that might have what they are interested in. No one said it was a subsitute, it's just giving home bound people a choice to do something different , costing only a few dollars and you don't have travel time to count getting to the show.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":39y0b2y5 said:
No one said it was a subsitute
Until social distancing is relaxed enough to return to "regular" shows, it is by default unless someone comes up with another option.

people can see different reptiles and zero in on the vendors that might have what they are interested in.
It took me 4 real reptile shows, and ~24 hours to do that. I expect I'm an outlier, but it'll also depend on the numbers & variety of vendors they're able to attract for average bears. Vendors don't always show up at every show they book; it took me all 4 shows to run one down, and they had booked 3 of them.

It could also take some time to catch on, as regular new shows usually do. Some will like it--some won't. By then the current situation will be behind us, "regular" reptile shows will return, and this may all be moot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Don't worry, I know all about shows. Been to at least a hundred of them since the early 90's. People can decide about this for themselves, can't they though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like a cool idea.

As with anything new, I'm sure there will be some kinks to work out at first. I can definitely imagine them getting better and better as time goes on and the more they are done.

I'd imagine it's not very hard to have a live stream setup on each and every single breeder and you can just click through all the different breeders to see their stream and what they are showing.

Cool idea and a nice way to adapt in this day and age :)
I think it will definitely stick around though if it runs smoothly. This would allow people from across the states to view a show, find a reptile they like, and buy it right then and there. I can see the downside of that too though, pickings will get real slim if the whole US can have access to a show, and a breeders stock.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":2odgms1q said:
Don't worry

48239105411_21ee481c70.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Claudiusx":1tcvgm1j said:
This would allow people from across the states to view a show, find a reptile they like, and buy it right then and there. I can see the downside of that too though, pickings will get real slim if the whole US can have access to a show, and a breeders stock.
Sounds more & more like a livestock auction. eBeardie How cool is that?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was worried both of you were worried. So there's that too.

I could get behind a global beardie auction site LOL. I would probably never participate because I can totally see something like that driving outrageous prices on anything I'd like, but I would definitely watch it!

I am interested in this virtual show though. I won't be "Attending" it, but if anyone here is, please do let us know, and let us know how it goes!
Maybe screen record it so we can see what it was like?

-Brandon

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
I'm curious to know if anyone went too. This would be fun just to see how it goes. For only $8 I'm gonna go to the next one for sure to see what it's like. My hubby wants to watch it with me so I'll privately stream it myself online. If enough people were interested here then I would make a discord channel and stream it there for others too. That's something neat to look forward to. =]

RonaldBennett

AHBED":2214mdx8 said:
Don't worry, I know all about shows. Been to at least a hundred of them since the early 90's. People can decide about this for themselves, can't they though.

Agent reporting for duty. The Dominion's best Ghost, Nova Terra, joins the ranks as our newest Co-op Commander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom