Doesnt bask under his heat bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Make sure the log is under BOTH - it should be placed so that he can receive both heat and UV at the same time. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, check that the temps are right. What type of thermometer are you using now?

L337h4l

Original Poster
It's around 113 degrees I checked it with a ir gun but I just recently caught him basking seems like he just doesnt normally bask when I'm around and the uv is the reptisun hood so it's someone directional so he receives uv while under the basking bulb

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Well there's your problem!!! Immediately turn down the heat - it should never exceed 110, I would try to keep it under 105 at all times, closer to 100 would even be better. Get a standard table dimmer from amazon, walmart, home depot, or lowes - under $15 and very handy. This is what one looks like:
87623-5863662823.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they prefer just heat or just UVB so it's good to provide some options. 113 isn't horrible but it's a bit high. There are areas he can move to that are cooler which sounds like what he's doing - that's an important reason for providing a gradient like you have. Using a dimmer or raising the basking light a little higher up should drop the basking site temp a little bit. I'd give that a try and see if he starts to bask under both lights combined more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom