cresties tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

duskypiano

Hatchling Member
Hello I was considering getting a crested gecko soon. I already have one beardie but thats it. My main concern is that there tail is going to fall off I heard it happens pretty easily

It can happen easily but it isn't a medical emergency when they drop their tails usually. Mostly they drop it when startled as a defense mechanism so to try to prevent that from happening house them individually and try not to grab them or make sudden movements when trying to handle them.

Even if it does drop a tail, they are usually cute regardless. I have a couple of 'frog butts' and not having a tail doesn't impede them at all.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I have a Leo but must say, I was quite torn between the Leo and the Crestie. Both so cute! :love5:

Nice to have you aboard TheGeckoSanctuary! :D

duskypiano

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
morphmom":mq32w7ns said:
I have a Leo but must say, I was quite torn between the Leo and the Crestie. Both so cute! :love5:

Possibly

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
Are you sure about their tail dropping easily? Apparently, Nova didn't get the memo. The little goober still has his/her tail even after a year. :roll:

morphmom":3ug2xwdl said:

Thanks!

TerratheBeardie":3ug2xwdl said:
Are you sure about their tail dropping easily? Apparently, Nova didn't get the memo. The little goober still has his/her tail even after a year. :roll:

Not all do. Some will hold on to them forever and others will throw them seemingly at random. I have two that came to me without tails and the one crestie I've had since he was a tiny baby still has his so it really depends.

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
I've got two cresties, one with a tail and one without (we call her a little frog butt lol) she had her tail when she was little but my iguana decided to play Godzilla and get out and knock her cage over scaring her and causing her to drop her tail. This hasn't really affected her balance at all, she's still a great jumper and climber.

Ace my male who still has his tail will let you touch it, I'll usually run my finger down to the tip and he'll grip the end of my finger with his tail. As long as you don't pick them up by their tail they shouldn't drop it. And again if they do it's not the end of the world! :)

I highly recommend cresties to everyone! They're awesome little geckos :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom