When to treat your baby bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all on a nearly 6 month old female bonnie . I've been told not to give her little treats until older now is it OK to seen her treats now and what to give her .
87519-5795085169.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there. I'm not sure what your question is. Were you referring to foods to give as treats?

Bonnie is adorable, is that a recent picture of her? Were you able to replace the calci-sand with a solid substrate?

Southmaunder

Original Poster
diamc":18v1r4qr said:
Hi there. I'm not sure what your question is. Were you referring to foods to give as treats?

Bonnie is adorable, is that a recent picture of her? Were you able to replace the calci-sand with a solid substrate?
Ya it is a recent picture . Only had her three weeks . Iv been told not to give a treats until a little older is this true . If it isn't then what can I give her .I'm giving the vivarium the month clean out next week and getting rid of sand and putting vinyl down with fake plants across back and a couple of branches for her to clime more down cool end .

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of "treats" are you referring to, fruit, particular worms?

That's good that you will be removing the sand. The sooner you can do that, the better because babies lick everything and when ingested, calci-sand hardens in their bellies like cement which can be impossible for them to pass. Some beardies have passed away because of this. :(

If you use vinyl, please make sure it isn't the type with adhesive on the back (with paper you peel off) as that glue can give off toxic fumes under the heat lights.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's fine to give little ones treats, just make sure they are just that - treats and not too much of what she eats. Treats can be things like bits of fruit (if she likes them) or small larval insects like waxworms, small butter worms or small hornworms. Treats can be good for teaching her to associate you with good things, like using them to get her used to your hands or as a reward for climbing on it. Make sure they aren't too big or hard, of course.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Glad your removing the sand. I bought cheap tiles from the Habitat for Humanity restore. Cost me less than $4. For tiles for my 48x24 sized tank.

Your baby is really cute.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah Restore, that's a great idea. I haven't thought to look there. They may have old furniture that would work for converting into a large habitat too.

For a little one, small silk worms and Phoenix Worms would make great treats. They are small and soft and would be easy to digest.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2p7b6gmo said:
Ah Restore, that's a great idea. I haven't thought to look there. They may have old furniture that would work for converting into a large habitat too.

For a little one, small silk worms and Phoenix Worms would make great treats. They are small and soft and would be easy to digest.

If you can source silkworms (about mealworm size and a bit bigger to say 2cm long) they are perfect for a hatchling her size as a staple feeder insect , I used silkworms as one feed per day for Rex and Puff as hatchlings , and for Peppa and Toothless as hatchlings, I simple replaced one meal of crickets with silkworms (which I placed in the feeding dish on a bit of mulberry leaf) along with greens and salad.

Pheonix worms are also very good as a staple feeder insect - I'd used if they were available commercially here.
Treats - mealworm beetles (when still soft and white) , bits of berry (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, nasturtium flowers, dandelion flowers , these all worked as occasional treats for my young hatchlings.

Loose laid floor or wall tiles and layers of kitchen strength paper towelling are ideal for a hatchlings substrate.

SDragons

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":2scmyjh2 said:
Treats - mealworm beetles (when still soft and white) , bits of berry (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, nasturtium flowers, dandelion flowers , these all worked as occasional treats for my young hatchlings..

I use a mix of collards and dandelion leaves everyday, but have never thought about giving the flower portion before.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rex and Puff love the bright yellow dandelion flower heads (I usually cut the flower head into quarters for them though this probably unnecessary). I have lots of "weeds" in my front and back lawn (and lots of them are dandelions and other edible self seeding herbs and I often gather some greens for the lizards and even for ourselves on occasion - I don't poison anything on my property).

With dandelions the leaves , flowers and seed pods (while green) are all good food. (the flowers and seed pods are a huge hit with wild rosellas, wild sulphur crested cockatoos, wild bluetongue skinks, wild water dragons and wild galahs too.)
With nasturtions the leaves and flowers are good food.
With clover the flowers and leaves are good.

I've also given them rose pettles, lemon flowers and clover flowers on occasion.

Thin slices of apple are hit with all my pet lizards, if I'm eating an apple , I share with one of the lizards , I slice or bite a bit off , and give it by hand to the lucky skink or dragon.

Usually a few thin slices or small chunks makes for a happy lizard.

Same deal with banana , pineapple , strawberries, blackberries, pears, mango, plums, kiwi fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom