When should be the first vet visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get a bearded dragon from the petstore, when does he need his first vet visit? Does he just need a checkup? How often after the first appointment?

Thanks!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Ideally you'd want to take him in quite soon so that the vet can check him for any problems and get a baseline idea of what he's like when not ill. Thereafter, I would take him to the vet once a year or so for a wellness check, and of course if he exhibited any weird symptoms or behaviour.

That being said, your chances of getting a healthy beardie from a typical pet store are not great. You'd have better odds if you get a baby from a reputable breeder. :D

iamkristen

Original Poster
I know!! We should have, the sad thing is I bought my boyfriend a giftcard for petsmart and he choose a beardie. It was sick already (we think, especially looking back at his pics from the first day home) and he passed, despite EVERYTHING we tried to get him better. They allowed us to bury him, and said we could come back and get another one. I don't think they will give us store credit. If so, we can get the $70 store credit for supplies (although I think we have everything we need, I'm sure we could find something) and get a beardie from a breeder but I DOUBT it. I was thinking at this point, we can get the beardie, get him to a vet as soon as possible and know NEXT time not to get any animals from petsmart.... we should have known...

With that said, anything besides a vet visit that can get our petstore dragon off to a good start?

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom