What's a good first timer snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I should just use a heatpad? How do I make one side like 80 the other one 90 with just a heatpad?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I find that if I use a heat pad to get the warm side to 90*, the cool side stays around 80*. Use a thermostat or a rheostat (dimmer) to hook up to the heat pad. Rheostats are around $10, but you have to dim it manually, wait an hour, take the temp, and adjust it again, which can be a pain. For a good thermostat, you'll want to pay at least $60, but it automatically adjusts the temps.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm going for cheap atm. So I'll just get one that I have to adjust myself. The snake can bask on a heatpad? The Ball python setup kind of confuses me everyone does it different, would it be fine if I used a heating pad and a light? Put the heatpad under then hide and light on other side? Is it true they can see red bulb like a beardie or is that wrong?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, everybody does have different opinions.

You can use whatever combo of heat elements you want, as long as the warm side is 90-95* and the cool side is 80-85*. :D And as long as any lights are on for 12 hours, off for 12 hours. (Cage temps can drop 10* at night, but a nighttime drop is not necessary.)

Apologies; being a beardie slave, I do sometimes call the warm side of the enclosure the basking side or the basking spot.

Unless I am mistaken, snakes can see red lights. I'm not positive, though.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
A normal bulb should be fine right? And can I just turn the light off and leave the heat pad on and the snake can sleep on that? Btw I was watching your videos on youtube, they're pretty cool.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Unique":3fd1b said:
A normal bulb should be fine right? And can I just turn the light off and leave the heat pad on and the snake can sleep on that? Btw I was watching your videos on youtube, they're pretty cool.
Yep. :D
Thanks! I haven't posted on YouTube in ages... I should get back into doing that.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Too bad I figured out my thermometer has two probes but they're not both temperature ones humidity which I know I need but I got a temp gun too so I'll just put the probe in the hide and measure the light temp with temp gun. And I still can't find the 10 gallon lid clamp thingies.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I have my hamsters in aquariums, it's easier just to use duc-tape to keep the lids secure then those annoying clamps.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Met cheap as in not gettin another thermometer and not spending a bunch on the rheostat.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
True. If you're going to get a thermostat, you want to get a top notch one.

Rheostats are also an option.

Rheostat.jpg

These are $10 at Lowes. I use these for the snakes' UTHs and Budo's halogen lamp. They work fine as long as you keep a close eye on the temps and adjust them as needed.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was going to get the repti-temp rheostat its 14.39 has two plug-ins and has the adjustable knob thing. Probably going to just have the heatpad on it since I have a lighting fixture with a dimmer. And I'm going to order both of those books from petmountain, they will probably have conflicting information though.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Pretty sure I know a snake is stronger then a hamster. But I also happen to know duc-tape is stronger then most snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom