Most common mistakes

Will Bruce

Beardie name(s)
None yet
My name's Will and have just gotten a Beardie. So far, I've always been mostly a snake guy, and contribute regularly to Care Sheets | BALL PYTHON BREEDER UK
Bearded dragons are a whole other kettle of fish, though!
I would love to hear what the most common mistakes are that people make with Beardies? And what are things only long-term keepers would know?
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My name's Will and have just gotten a Beardie. So far, I've always been mostly a snake guy, and contribute regularly to Care Sheets | BALL PYTHON BREEDER UK
I would love to hear what the most common mistakes are that people make with Beardies? And what are things only long-term keepers would know?
Thanks!
Welcome to beardie world--- most common mistakes are surface basking temps not taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- colored lights being used-- ceramic heat emitters being used for basking bulbs-- and UVB that is the most critical--- coils are used instead of long tube fixtures --- if you using any of this stuff please let us help you get the tank set up correctly or you will have a sick dragon and eventually a dead one --

Will Bruce

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
None yet
Thanks, that's excellent! I guess that's all pretty logical stuff. I've seen those issues happen with uromastyx and other diurnal lizards too and I would definitely avoid. What's the opinion on all-in-one mercury vapor bulbs though? Why aren't more people using them?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks, that's excellent! I guess that's all pretty logical stuff. I've seen those issues happen with uromastyx and other diurnal lizards too and I would definitely avoid. What's the opinion on all-in-one mercury vapor bulbs though? Why aren't more people using them?
You can use them but they are spendy--- you would still need the long tube fixture for UVB anyway-- the MVB's are tricky to use sometimes as the distance for the heat and UVB is compromised - the further away from the basking spot the less the UVB rays - then closer to the basking spot the heat is too hot -- so its like your sacrificing one or the other - it also needs to be unobstructed to get the UVB rays to what they should be as well --- I dont recommend them its better to go w/ just a regular clear solid bright white basking bulb and a good long tube UVB--

Will Bruce

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
None yet
Ah ok, I see. I was curious as I've made them work for more temperate species like Anoles. That said, their UV requirements are definitely a little lower than Beardies. Good to know, thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I could spend all day making a list. Best bet is to just invest some time here reading and keeping up with active threads.

If you have specific questions though, feel free to ask.

My biggest one is in regards to diet. Too many people think that one single feeder insect is going to be better than multiple other options. Variety in the diet will always trump 1 single good food item.

Another one like Karrie mentioned is using a digital thermometer with probe end. Temperatures are arguably the most important aspect of a dragons health. Most people think that IR guns are the best thermometer, but that is usually not true.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another huge one is this recent trend (last 5 years or so) to over feed growing dragons. So many people think you need to let a growing dragon gorge on insects 3 times a day otherwise you are starving it. Because of this, it's now common for 6-8 month old dragons to be fully adult size when the standard for a full grown adult used to be 1 1/2 - 2 years old.

Nothing good comes from a 6-8 month old dragon being adult size (unless you're a breeder... but that's a different discussion). And nothing good comes from a dragon over eating on insects.

-Brandon

Will Bruce

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
None yet
I could spend all day making a list. Best bet is to just invest some time here reading and keeping up with active threads.

My biggest one is in regards to diet. Too many people think that one single feeder insect is going to be better than multiple other options. Variety in the diet will always trump 1 single good food item.

Another one like Karrie mentioned is using a digital thermometer with probe end. Temperatures are arguably the most important aspect of a dragons health. Most people think that IR guns are the best thermometer, but that is usually not true.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon 👍. Funny how we see the single-food-type issue come up again and again! When I was a kid, people kept killing their iguanas by giving them only iceberg lettuce

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Another huge one is this recent trend (last 5 years or so) to over feed growing dragons. So many people think you need to let a growing dragon gorge on insects 3 times a day otherwise you are starving it. Because of this, it's now common for 6-8 month old dragons to be fully adult size when the standard for a full grown adult used to be 1 1/2 - 2 years old.

Nothing good comes from a 6-8 month old dragon being adult size (unless you're a breeder... but that's a different discussion). And nothing good comes from a dragon over eating on insects.

-Brandon
I so needed to hear this! Thanks!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Here I come with the randomness now that the most important health issues were addressed.
As a new beardie parent, I let him take over the home. I let him out of the enclosure. They are creatures of habits and they want what they want. They need constant care and can not be left unattended. I am not complaining (right now) as I love Rocky but I sure would've done things differently. They have personalities and become demanding so put your foot down early and keep it down otherwise, your wake up with their lights (or their time BEFORE the lights), you have to cut the tv off (before their lights) or you get the side eye, they jump on you and down let go when you want to go out and attempt to put them in the enclosure...boundaries.
Did I mention they use your bathroom instead of their enclosure. I gave up trying to figure out why Rocky makes daily trips to my bathroom and poops by the toilet.
Whew, I guess I just needed to get this out (again).

Welcome to the family. You are in for a wonderful adventure like no other. You had snakes so you aren't starting at zero as I was. There's no whipping of the tail but some puffing or black bearding, maybe hissing but you really have to upset them. But other than that, with proper care and love, these are the absolutely best pets on earth. Love, a former dog parent.

My real answer is that I see people give real food - ugh, that irks me. Please follow the proper diet and make sure that the beardie basks afterwards. Pay attentions to all signs. As they can't talk, they communicate in MANY other ways.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Thanks!
Big mistake on my part, was buying a 40 gallon tank.
If I could do things over again, I would have started with a 120 gallon...what a waste of money with the 40 gallon. Just my experience.

They grow too quickly to mess with a small tank.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Big mistake on my part, was buying a 40 gallon tank.
If I could do things over again, I would have started with a 120 gallon...what a waste of money with the 40 gallon. Just my experience.

They grow too quickly to mess with a small tank.
Yup i made the same mistake, 10, 20 long 40 and finally 120. What an ***** i am lol.

Unnasta

-Brandon

How does one get their beardie to eat more than one meat item. I got her to eat more greens. But she loves her superworms. And it’s pretty much the only “meat” she will eat.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom