What to feed babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmuehl

Can you feed baby bearded dragons - baby superworms? I'm looking for feeders that are not crickets for baby dragons... what are my options?

I'm trying to find feeders that I can raise at the house that doesn't make too much noise.

redflea13

Meal worms and superworms aren't real good for babies because they are hard to digest. If you can get a colony of roaches baby roaches are good.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Lots of us here raise Dubia roaches for feeders. They are wonderful feeders, don't stink or make noise like crix and are excellent for dragons. Many people get wigged out at the idea of "roaches", Dubia are not like the german roaches that infest peoples homes. They are more like big rollie-pollies. You can go to http://www.theroachguy.com to check out lots of info on these wonderful feeders.

Eric

dmuehl

Original Poster
Thanks ---

I need to convince my husband that they will be ok in the house. We live in FL...everything multiplies here!!!

Does any one feed Crickets and Dubias? Or are they a replacement for Crickets?

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
You can feed both. A varied diet is a healthy one. I feed our baby hornworms, phoenix worms, dubia's. She has only eaten two crickets all week. She don't seem to like them.

buddydragon

u should try all kinds of really small worms becouse u should not fead thim crickits there not healthy and i hear you crickets do make lots of noise i know lots bot bearded drogens i :study: thim

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Most people I know use roaches as a replacement for crix. Crix stink, they make noise and can carry parasites. Roaches, like Dubia and lobster, are far superior to crix. I feed both dubia and lobster roaches to Spike and he loves them. If I had to choose just one, I would choose Dubia hands down for the ease of keeping them and their cleanliness.

Eric

dmuehl

Original Poster
After reading about the hatchling requirements for food I'd need my own source to feed them. I think I have figured out how to set up the hatchling tank ... one of our big tanks with dividers to keep them seperated. If you feed them enough will they be so canibalistic? I understand that the survival of the fittest is how it works in the wild.

Most of the dragons we own have came from someone that no longer can care for them (adults or sub-adults). I don't skimp on food. I only have one more that could use to gain some weight as she is smaller than she should be. All of them have come into my home "hungry" --- but now they don't seem to be ravinous. That doesn't mean they don't consume -- just more normal now for their age.

I'm attached to them --- everyone of them. :):):) I've worked with each one to be fun and loving -- wanting to be out with us humans.

How many Dubias do you have to have to raise a clutch of eggs? How long to breed this many and what does your starter set need to consist of? Bigger question... if you were grossed out by the bugs -- how long did it take you to get over that? I'm OK with the beetles for the supers and the meal worms... just can't seem to get over the word roaches.... I get the creepies.

Thanks for all your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom