What is Sandfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
No problem Valerie, personally I always thought a citrus beardie was a yellow one, sandfire was orange and reds were Chris Allen, that's what I have been going by. I can't keep up with the rest of the things they talk about (het, trans, silkback, leatherback, etc) I never knew about a brand name till about 6 years ago, I thought sandfires were the different orange colors in beardies, never knew at the time that it was a breeder, lol.

I only said what I said because I remember this topic before and it got a little ugly, I can understand the confusion been there myself.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Mary, I did not know it was an ugly subject before. I cannot keep up with all of the other morphs either.LOl
Anyway, one of our BD's was sold to us a normal but she is getting a pretty yellow color. So I looked up citrus but I got a few differnt colors. I wanted to see what color was close to ours but I came up empty.
I did one picture very similar on one of these posts, it was a pretty yellow with purple spots on it's back but I cannot remember where i saw it.
Valerie

JAE

Im sorry if I came off rude. Im a New Yorker. But yes many pet shops, breeders etc claim morphs,these are usually unedjucated people in the pet trade. You can find many reputable breeders who can provide you with the lineage of their beardies so you know what your getting. Always do your research. I love all animals ive been in the animal biz since i was knee high. My first 3 dragons were normal beardies. This is more than a hobby to me.And the new morphs that are emerging are incredible. Piebalds, Witblits, Japanese silver backs. Sand Fires are one of the older morphs. They have been around a while so of course their will be imposters. As I said " do your research" color morphs arent for everyone nor is the price tag some may carry.lol

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
The thing with "morphs" is that you are at the mercy of the breeder you purchase from. If you go to a reputable breeder, and they say that you have sandfire lines, it should mean that if you were to trace the lineage of this dragon that it came from sandfire dragons stock. It doesn't really guarantee any sort of color, I have seen beautiful sandfire dragons and also some really drab ones. I think that now most dragons can have the sandfire lines in them, but they are also mixed with other stock, such as Chris Allen, etc. And a lot of breeders will rename their own colors to personalize their lines more. You just have to do your research. So long as you love your dragon, then that's all that matters.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Of course, we do. I was just wondering if citrus is yellow or what. I want to know if I am calling her a yellow or a citrus as citrus could be the name of a color. I am not going to claim any bloodline as I do not know her blood line but I was speaking of color only.

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
You could call her that. Really, the only time you should know her exact lineage is if you are going to breed her, so that you don't cross bloodlines. I tend to make up color names for my dragons, just because it can be tiresome to say "she is an allen x blood x leucistic blah blah blah" every time someone asks, so I think of a color name and write them down the genetic info if they wish for it. Same with our babies. We might call them Sunbursts because we are describing the color, but then we'll let you know what breeders lines they come from. Most people with yellow babies call them Citrus, and I think that is a safe bet. Citrus aren't really linked to any one breeder, it's a term to describe a yellow dragon. Now I would LOVE to see some pics of her!!

JAE

Hey Jessica I have a question. "Sorry to hijack the thread." How do you ship a beardie? And what service like ups, the post office etc? Dont know if you remember me. Ive meet you @ some shows and my g/f talked to you about a couple rescues on here. Actually I just rescued one of Calypso and Vyllyn's daughters not to long ago. Shes a beast!

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
Hey!! Well, to ship, I use a cardboard box, special foam (I don't like styrofoam, too messy and doesn't insulate too well), I line the entire box top to bottom with foam, baby is either in a deli cup or a bag depending on their size and I give them fleece to snuggle in along with newspaper to keep them from banging around during shipping. I also use UPS next day air and most are delivered by 10:30 am the next day. More rural areas will arrive later.

You have one of my Calypso x Vyllyn babies?! How did you come about rescuing her??? Awww, I'd love to see pics of her! I didn't wind up keeping any of them although I really wish I had. They were all big monsters, great eaters and VERY sweet! I'm so glad you got her though!!

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
After I figure out how to post pictures I would love to show off both of my babies.
Valerie

JAE

Cool Thank You. Might be getting a new leather female and I wasnt sure. Do you mark "live harmless reptile" and let them know what your shipping? lol or just be quiet and cross your fingers?
Umm.. i meet this kid on the forums rehoming 2 dragons. lol one is the sandfire above the pic i posted, shes from rekowski and the other he bought from you @ repticon. shes a piggy.
1293776767.jpg

I have one of Thad x Nylla's too
1297026672.jpg

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
Mike Rekowski is a great guy! I'm glad you have these two! I stole a Nylla x Thad male from Cheryl. lol!! He's awesome! Looks almost like yours except for a pinkish/salmon colored head. Reminds me of Nylla every time I see him. :) They both look great though!

For shipping, I have stickers that say "please keep at room temperature, live harmless bearded dragon, this side up" ALL over the box and the guys at the UPS store know what I'm shipping, they love it when I come in, they have to ask me all about the baby leaving! Lol!

JAE

Sweet. TY. I thought I was going to be smuggling beardies for a minute.Yeah Mikes a funny dude. I have a gorgeous trans male that I got from him. Thought it was hypo but as he grew gray lines appeared in his nails lol Thats a bad pic she was dark. Hers heads a light salmon, peach and her body snow white. Really pretty peach and black beard. Shes a sweet heart too, calmest dragon I have.

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
Can you take an up close picture of the nails? Non hypos have a pretty dark line, but even the hypos have a clear/light tan, etc lines on their nails. Might be easier to tell by looking at it. By the sounds of it, sounds like a hypo. :)

But no, you would be smuggling beardies. Lol! :p

JAE

Ok by what you said I thinks hes hypo. He looks hypo and his nails are no where near as dark as my non hypos. He had clear nails as a baby but recently gray lines appearded they get darker when he does so Ive been questioning 100% hypo.
Of course he lightened up when I took the pic so you cant see them well.
1297186987.jpg

Ok hes to beautiful to just show his hands so here.
1290097684.jpg

*Oh and Valerie, I use photobucket.com to post pics. I upoad them, get the URL copy it then paste it on my post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom