What about bathing

I read somewhere that Bearded Dragons need a bath twice a week to stay hydrated, but Rambo won't even let me pick him up yet. I was wondering if anyone could answer this question, does my beardie need to be bathed twice a week or more???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I read somewhere that Bearded Dragons need a bath twice a week to stay hydrated, but Rambo won't even let me pick him up yet. I was wondering if anyone could answer this question, does my beardie need to be bathed twice a week or more???
How old is Rambo? He should be hand tamed and you should be able to pick him up unless hes really a baby -- you want to start doing that now if hes a baby --- NO your dragon does not need a bath 2 times per week ---- tell me how old he is first

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's not used to handling yet, then I would avoid offering baths. Some like baths and others don't, but they aren't worth the stress unless necessary (soiled dragon, walked through poop, etc). They will get a lot of their hydration directly from food so if the bugs are well fed and he is offered plenty of fresh veges he should have enough. You can usually tell by looking at their poop if they are well hydrated or not. Dry, chalky urate and poop may indicate dehydration. They will also sometimes drink from a dish if you flick the water to create movement. I've had good luck dripping water on their nose to get them to lick it up too. These are good options to try if you determine he is dehydrated.

rambobeardie1

Original Poster
If he's not used to handling yet, then I would avoid offering baths. Some like baths and others don't, but they aren't worth the stress unless necessary (soiled dragon, walked through poop, etc). They will get a lot of their hydration directly from food so if the bugs are well fed and he is offered plenty of fresh veges he should have enough. You can usually tell by looking at their poop if they are well hydrated or not. Dry, chalky urate and poop may indicate dehydration. They will also sometimes drink from a dish if you flick the water to create movement. I've had good luck dripping water on their nose to get them to lick it up too. These are good options to try if you determine he is dehydrated.
Thank you so much!!!

Tonilee

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ragnar
I bath my boy 1 to 2 times a week he isn't a great lover of the baths all the time but there is times he loves it and swims about. I think he also know once he has pooped he can come out lol. He is never really in long 10 minutes max each time and he is perfectly healthy and happy. I read somewhere that once they are out there bath you pat them down with a soft towel then put them back in their viv my ragnar has never done that he likes to lay on his log at the window. I have just bathed him and I will show yous a picture of him now. Will also attach a picture of him in the bath

Attachments

• 20220516_184045.jpg
    20220516_184045.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220516_175757.jpg
    20220516_175757.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 75

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom