Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paganqueen

May seem like a silly question but do beardies need water in their viv? I was told they don't as they get all their water from their food.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Most beardies don't recognize standing water as a drinking source also having a water dish will raise humidity in the tank which can lead to Respiratory infections. Instead of having a water dish take your beardie out for a bath 2-3 times a week. My boys don't drink in the bath so I give them water with a needless syringe.

Hope this answers your question :)

paganqueen

Original Poster
Thank you for your fast reply.
I have tried bathing him and he just jumps straight back out. Do they bath in the wild? I was led to believe they rarely come across water.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
My guys hated bathing at first too, now they swim around like little gators LOL You could try placing a cloth on the bottom of your bath container, helps them feel more secure.

RainMaiden

My beardie doesn't drink during bath time either. He does drink out of a water bottle with the nozzle set to 'stream' though. I gently squirt the top of his head daily. The water drips down his face and he licks it up.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
My bearded constantly drink out the water dish I put in the cage for them. They suck it up like a shopvac... I put a small water bowl in there for them at all time so if they are thirsty, they can drink whenever they want. (I use a small water bowl to prevent excessive soaking which can lead to scale rot.) Some people prefer to soak their bearded instead and if they are thirsty, they will drink while soaking. I think it's impartant to have a water dish for youngsters because they are small and are easily dehydrated. From my experience most reptiles will drink if given the opportunity.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
My three week old baby beardie developed an upper respiratory infection due to me placing a water dish in his tank. I think it really depends on the overall humidity of your house, I prefer a humid household overall. It's just not worth 10 days of antibiotics IMO. I do think beardies should be offered water daily, I do so with a syringe. :D

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I personally never had any problems over here, but I guess, that might be different if you live in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom