Blind beardie

Smaug123

Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
My baby, Smaug, is blind, but I think she sees shadows. Maybe even blurry vision. Anyway she misses her food because of perception I suppose. Then after a bite or two she's frustrated and gives up. I may have to syring feed her but my blenders cannot get the consistency right. Ideas? She does still drink and play in the water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My baby, Smaug, is blind, but I think she sees shadows. Maybe even blurry vision. Anyway she misses her food because of perception I suppose. Then after a bite or two she's frustrated and gives up. I may have to syring feed her but my blenders cannot get the consistency right. Ideas? She does still drink and play in the water.
Welcome to my world--- Blaze cannot see either- first clue was missing of the food all the time -- then gave up - he hasnt eaten reg salads for almost a year now and he still goes for the dubia but I haft to really work w/ him to get him to catch them - I put the roaches on their backs and place on either side of his head and he scoops them up -- I have been feeding critical care herbivore for months - out of a syringe takes me and my husband to feed him -- super worms hes gotten better at catching them-- again scooping them up--- he drinks water off of a salad plate -- he has quit climbing all together -- Blaze was diagnosed w/ a irregular retina in one eye and cataract on the other one -- what kind of consistency are you looking for -- you can just make a slurry

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
Welcome to my world--- Blaze cannot see either- first clue was missing of the food all the time -- then gave up - he hasnt eaten reg salads for almost a year now and he still goes for the dubia but I haft to really work w/ him to get him to catch them - I put the roaches on their backs and place on either side of his head and he scoops them up -- I have been feeding critical care herbivore for months - out of a syringe takes me and my husband to feed him -- super worms hes gotten better at catching them-- again scooping them up--- he drinks water off of a salad plate -- he has quit climbing all together -- Blaze was diagnosed w/ a irregular retina in one eye and cataract on the other one -- what kind of consistency are you looking for -- you can just make a slurry
Your poor baby sounds like mine 😟
I guess almost a puree? Should I add worms in it? I'm going to see how she does with crickets.
I can give her mealworms with tongs but she fights it. But she does chew ok. However, the sides of her mouth look a little swollen later and I don't have the heart to do it often.
As long as I can coax her to eat a few out of a bowl, putting it close to her head, I don't use the tongs. I can also put kale and raspberries on a tiny dish and she'll take maybe 3 bites if I'm lucky.
So, just in case I need to go the syringe route I need to learn how to get a soft, thick gravy like liquid and what to put in it.
Thanks for your reply!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your poor baby sounds like mine 😟
I guess almost a puree? Should I add worms in it? I'm going to see how she does with crickets.
I can give her mealworms with tongs but she fights it. But she does chew ok. However, the sides of her mouth look a little swollen later and I don't have the heart to do it often.
As long as I can coax her to eat a few out of a bowl, putting it close to her head, I don't use the tongs. I can also put kale and raspberries on a tiny dish and she'll take maybe 3 bites if I'm lucky.
So, just in case I need to go the syringe route I need to learn how to get a soft, thick gravy like liquid and what to put in it.
Thanks for your reply!
Please try some super worms instead of the meal and horn worms as well -- see if she will go for them -- make the slurrys soupy- you can get 3 ML syringes from Tracie - they have a wider mouth on them are dont plug w/ the herbivore I am feeding Blaze --

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
I sometimes have similar experiences with my boi Swordtail. He's partially blind in one eye and if he misses a worm then he refuses to eat anymore

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom