Feeding for adult beardies

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
So I know this question has probably been asked a lot but I keep finding different answers. I have two adult beardies who will be turning two this year. they get fed around 5-10 dubias a day as that's what I was told before but now I'm seeing a lot of people saying 2x a week or 3x a week and I'm now I'm unsure. and if I do only feed 3x/2x a week what do I do with dusting with calcium/multivitamin?? Do I put that on their salads?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely cut back to 3x a week. And try not to use solely dubias, especially for adults. Increases the likelyhood of developing gout later in life.

Variety is king, dubais, superworms, silkworms, crickets, etc. You need multiple food items, so does your dragon.

Your dusting schedule for an adult should be calcium 3x~ a week too, so you can choose to either dust the insects or the salad.

-Brandon

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we only do 2-3 bugs once a week at 3.5 years old. but sir henry is a freaking salad whore, so he has little room left in his belly! he's weighing in at about 550g right now after slowing down for a couple months. he's never fully brumated. as for supplements, he refuses anything powder, so he gets liquid calcium 3x a week and liquid vitamins 1x a week

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
we only do 2-3 bugs once a week at 3.5 years old. but sir henry is a freaking salad whore, so he has little room left in his belly! he's weighing in at about 550g right now after slowing down for a couple months. he's never fully brumated. as for supplements, he refuses anything powder, so he gets liquid calcium 3x a week and liquid vitamins 1x a week
How do you get him to take the liquid vitamins? My guys refuse them.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
mix tart cherry powder with water and add the vitamins to that via a dropper

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
mix tart cherry powder with water and add the vitamins to that via a dropper
Mine will take the powder most of the time, but I'm going to keep that trick in mind for sure! 👍

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
Definitely cut back to 3x a week. And try not to use solely dubias, especially for adults. Increases the likelyhood of developing gout later in life.

Variety is king, dubais, superworms, silkworms, crickets, etc. You need multiple food items, so does your dragon.

Your dusting schedule for an adult should be calcium 3x~ a week too, so you can choose to either dust the insects or the salad.

-Brandon
Oh okay! I'll definitely order some different types of worms as soon as possible since I never knew about the variety thing. Would bsfl work aswell? Thank you so much!

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
I'll have to try the liquid calcium/vitamins since Moxxie is very picky and doesn't like dusted things. And same here about the salad lol mine goes CRAZY about his salad!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom