TRex Active Heat Issues and some answers UPDATE 5/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Michele, I'm glad that you decided not to use it and sent it back, not worth taking the risks.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
diamc":z7la0stk said:
Michele, I'm glad that you decided not to use it and sent it back, not worth taking the risks.
I owe it all to you Diane! :wink: If you didn't alert me to the problems you were having,and this thread I never would have known.Thanks :D

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words Michelle.Good that they agreed to take it back.Did you use it at all?

My3sons I am happy you are not having any issues that is great.Just be sure to watch it for a bit just to make sure :D

Tracie
It is a new bulb yes, I believe only since this past January.As for how well it works that remains to be seen IMO being as the data I have gotten is only coming from one source at the moment and it isn't an independent one.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Oh good and hopefully you wont experience any :D Thanks for the info on the A1.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Tell ya what I made the switch from MVBs to fluoro tubes at the right time seems like the MVB market is just going to crap all around. Thank you for keeping everyone updated on this information. Im sure there are many people that have these bulbs that have no idea they are causing issues yet.

my3sons

it is kind of funny because 1 month ago when i started to have issues with the bulb not keeping heat and making his eyes swollen they told me megaray was having big issues and that their product was fine...i said it is your bulb i am using-they told me to send it in...it took 1 month to receive a new one(which is fine).I had left atleast 6 e-mails and 7 messages before anyone called me back. I also asked for a refund in shipping($12.00) because i bought it three weeks prior..never happened goodluck

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that the A1 model has not caused any problems as of yet. As Vicky suggested, be sure to keep a close eye on him.
Michele, I am glad you didn't want to take a chance on using the new T-rex I can't blame you. There have been a lot of problems with them, so there is no reason to risk going through the same thing with Jojo!

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Ok so I spoke with Alan the president of TRex today in detail regarding the situation.They have stopped production completely in regards to using the ultra-clear glass that has been causing this problem and has insured me that they will NOT be using any of these sheets of glass for future production.They do not want to attempt modifications they just want to start from scratch using the original glass that they have used in the past which is great news IMO.Any bulbs manufactured from here out will be using the original glass type that previously resulted in the good bulb we have had in the past years.They are also contacting all their direct distributors asking the return of the J1,K1,L1 bulbs so they can be tested for safety before being released to the public and if they are not then they will be destroyed.He said he was aware of the issue originally but was advised by the manufacturer that all that glass was used to produce a different bulb(megaray) and not theirs which clearly wasn't the case.Obviously all this being said there are still going to be some of these bulbs out there for the time being so anyone who orders needs to verify that they have gotten a new bulb(series yet to be announced) and not the overstock from this bad batch.If they do and if they have any issues using it they need to contact TRex immediately @ 1-800-991-8739 to get a replacement bulb.Alan aslo asked me to share his email here in case anyone wanted to contact him directly. You can reach him at [email protected].

Well that's all I got for know folks.Hopefully the rest of the damage will be minimal and we can get back to the fun stuff that comes with reptile ownership :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Vicky,

That is excellent news! Finally they have cleared all of that up & stopped production. That was the right thing to do. So, hopefully now, the number of cases we see will start to decrease soon.
Thanks for getting all of that answered for people here!

Tracie

my3sons

I spoke with Rachael tonight from Trex in reguards to the A1...so far the a1 is the newer glass and is fine(time will tell)but she said they will handle ant and all issues per customers...no recall

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes there shouldnt be an issue with the A1 they were supposedly not made using the ultra clear glass. I would also like to add that they do not think any of the 160watt bulbs were affected although we have a few cases that seem to show otherwise but they could just be isolated cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom