TRex Active Heat Issues and some answers UPDATE 5/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
lexiegirl":1ojhks1g said:
Right now I am not very happy with T-Rex. My personal experience was not a very good one. I am truly lucky that my beardie does not have any problems because I was using a L1 bulb for 4 months!! Of course it was part my fault because I did look at the bulb wrong :oops: . However, I guess it's true that everything happens for a reason b/c when I went to turn on the bulb today it did not work. After removing it and looking at it closer, it was one from the bad batch... so I am glad it quit working! No wonder my beardie hasn't been basking for the past 4 months. She would always stay at the opposite side of the tank. Smart dragon :) But after calling them today and getting the run around I was finally told to ship the bulb back. Now I'm hoping I'll get a replacement that has the correct specs.
Oh gosh! Do you notice any difference in her eyes? Did she keep them shut alot? Please let us know when you get the replacent bulb in,what the batch # is,and how she reacts to it.
Good luck! :D
PS: It would be a good idea to give the new bulb a couple days "burn in" time before you use it on her :D

lexiegirl

Yeah thinking back now she did seem to keep her eyes closed more than normal.... especially the one on her left side. But I've checked her over and her eyes don't look infected on injured as she will open them. My poor baby has been through so many problems the last 6 months. First I had no heat light for her for like 3 weeks because I busted her bulb and had to use a regular household bulb until my order from pet mountain arrived (I now have spares) and then she had a defective bulb for 4 months that could have made her really sick. Now she is without UVB, she has a great heat light... just no UVB... I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to get the T-Rex bulb b/c if it will be very long I will order a Repti-Sun to get her thru... but now I'm just trying to wait it out... ugh. Question though: Can this defective bulb affect her appetite? Or her sleeping habits? It seems like for the last 2 or 3 months she's been trying to brumate, but I know it is not the right time of year. She will eat her bugs just fine, just not very interested in greens/veggies. Also, she's 13 months old. I hope everything is ok with her. A vet visit my be in her future now that I discovered the problem with her lighting.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
lexiegirl":21rjuzz7 said:
Yeah thinking back now she did seem to keep her eyes closed more than normal.... especially the one on her left side. But I've checked her over and her eyes don't look infected on injured as she will open them. My poor baby has been through so many problems the last 6 months. First I had no heat light for her for like 3 weeks because I busted her bulb and had to use a regular household bulb until my order from pet mountain arrived (I now have spares) and then she had a defective bulb for 4 months that could have made her really sick. Now she is without UVB, she has a great heat light... just no UVB... I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to get the T-Rex bulb b/c if it will be very long I will order a Repti-Sun to get her thru... but now I'm just trying to wait it out... ugh. Question though: Can this defective bulb affect her appetite? Or her sleeping habits? It seems like for the last 2 or 3 months she's been trying to brumate, but I know it is not the right time of year. She will eat her bugs just fine, just not very interested in greens/veggies. Also, she's 13 months old. I hope everything is ok with her. A vet visit my be in her future now that I discovered the problem with her lighting.
Bad uvb or lack of uvb can most definately affect appetite and energy level. Until you get the new bulb try to bring her outside for some sunshine (weather permitting).

daclark

I have not been on this site in quite awhile and was unaware of the problems with the TRex bulbs luckily we don't have any from the effected batches however we did just have one burn out and we need to replace it, but now I'm not sure how to guarantee it won't be from one of the bad batches (we purchase on-line due to pricing difference).

I also came across a standard T Rex 100 watt UV bulb (it does not say active on the box) online anyone have info on the difference.

Thanks for the help :D

daclark":ydwym9xt said:
I also came across a standard T Rex 100 watt UV bulb (it does not say active on the box) online anyone have info on the difference.
This insert was part of the description found on LLL Reptile "This is fine for forest or shade loving species. For more sun loving species such as Bearded Dragons they would need to be exposed to this lower output of UVB for a longer period to obtain the vit D3 benefits that they would get from an Active UVHeat lamp. So longer time exposure to lower levels of UVB light is equivalent, and as beneficial, to a shorter exposure time to a higher level of UVB light. Longer exposure time does increase the cost of the electricity used and shorten the life of the lamp however."

Hope that helps...

Is the ID (letter/number) of the bulb the right next to the Trex symbol/wattage on the bulb? If so, G1 is label there and since I read the entire post it wasn't mention as being a part of the bad batch. My beardie usually has one eye closed for a short time, but it is constantly happening throughout the day and when I bring him outside to sunbathe his fine...Also his appetite has not been too consistent...I will be switching to a regular heating bulb since I also have 24" Reptisun 10.0...Hopefully I can find the problem before any kind of damage is done...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
As far as I know the G1 was not part of the problem bulbs.

In regards to the standard TRex,that also was not part of this issue. It is a different bulb, the economy version. I have not had great results with them at all however. I have 3 that I tried out all of which burned out in 1-3 months and have varying UVB output so at this time I cannot recommend those either.

daclark

vickson420":jbo2qdnz said:
As far as I know the G1 was not part of the problem bulbs.

In regards to the standard TRex,that also was not part of this issue. It is a different bulb, the economy version. I have not had great results with them at all however. I have 3 that I tried out all of which burned out in 1-3 months and have varying UVB output so at this time I cannot recommend those either.

Thanks for the info, Our G1 was a great bulb I'm just worried about purchasing online right now, I'm afraid some companies still might be selling the bulbs from the bad batches, but it is sooo much less expensive online than at our local store.I'm just not sure what to do :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom