Tree Limb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbauer65

If you bake the limb that you picked up outside, what would be the point of removing the bark?
Just ask'n. :?:

Thanks,

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
After you bake it will become brittle. There's a pretty decent chance the dragons will try eating bits of bark which can lead to impaction or choking. Impaction is pretty mean business, there's a good chance of death if not fixed. Surgery could be needed and that's no good for the dragon or your bank account.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Yeah, too bad you gotta get rid of them. They're such wonderful animals. Someday I'll probably have a house chock full of them. And no husband. :lol:
Dragon Lady or Cat Lady, it's inevitable.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've used the boil and disinfectant soak methods on branches in the past (since they don't fit in the oven). I scrubbed them with a stiff brush to knock off any loose bits, but I wouldn't go to any effort to skin the bark off if its on there good. The texture can make it easier for the dragon to grip, so I prefer to keep it. Eventually as the branches dry out the bark might start to seperate and it's a good idea to check on and remove loose chunks.

Insects will happily take refuge in and cracks/crevices in the bark or elsewhere on the branch too, just something to keep in mind.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
I used a branch with thin bark for that very reason! It doesn't have crags and doesn't really look like it's going to come off any time soon, if ever.
Stuarts log tho, it's big and craggy. His bugs are tossed into the other end away from it and few escape his ninja death pounce.
That's a great idea, the scrubbing with a stiff brush. I'm leary of soaking wood because I'm afraid of the fumes from disinfectant. Do you let it air out a while before replacing? When you boil sticks do they float, or do you weigh them down? I bet that takes a huge pot.
Taterbug, Pot Wrangler. :lol:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
For regular cleaning I have a steamer and I use F10 disinfectant which is safe once it dries. I worry about fumes too so any pet stuff that gets bleached gets hosed and left in the sun.

For the big branches branches I put them in the bath tub, and scrubbed and marinated them, basically. After that it was out to be yard for a few minute hose off. Then it got left out in the sun for the chlorine to break down, for a couple days.

When I use hot water and something dosnt fit in the pot I'll boil up water in a big stock pot and slowly pour it over. I wish I had a pot that big! Hehe. (I also do this to sterilize my dubia frass before composting it)

Neither method will reach too deep into the wood, but It's better than nothing. It's not as thorough as baking of course.

I will say in I've not had a problem with anything growing out of my branches, even the ones that just got rinsed with hose water and scrubbed. Any plant matter (moss, lichens etc) dies very quickly and I've not really had uninvited bugs appear either.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
STEAMER!!! Yes! That's what I need! I had one before but my sister borrowed it and, well, I haven't seen it since. It probably met a horrific fate. I also need to check out this F10 stuff. I'd heard of it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom