TIPS FOR GETTING HIM TO TRUST YOU....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
At night, stuff him under your shirt and let him fall asleep on you.

I did this with all of my dragons, and I think it instills a feeling for them of being able to relax enough with you to fall asleep when they are babies - as you keep doing this as they get older, they just know that they can relax with you.

Warning tho, they will come to EXPECT this every night! :lol:

If he gapes at you (most babies do), don't even acknowledge it. Don't hesitate in picking him up, otherwise he'll figure out that he can "scare" you away.

Also hand-feed him treats! Squash and fruit are good treats to do this with, also "special" bugs like waxworms.

Onlymediocre

Juvie Member
Have you tried putting a shirt of yours (that youve worn all day so it smells like you) in his viv? I put mine to sleep in one of my shirts at first... Dont make sudden movements, that makes them jumpy... also u can put ur hand in the viv and just leave it there, maybe pet him a bit, but not pick him up... also if hes real scared of u, you can always wait and get him out around bedtime, when hes rlly too tired to fight ya... then have ur cuddle and let him fall asleep on ur chest. I think a lot of it has to do with age, babies are rlly jumpy, and as they grow they calm down... theres a 3 week difference between my girls... Ive handled them the same, but the older one seems a lot more relaxed with me, I was actually able to take her out yesterday for the 1st time and we visited the inlaws (LOL, mother-in-law is scared to death of lizards :dontknow: ) And she stayed on me, and would snuggle into my shirt... I wouldnt even of attempted that with the younger one yet, shed of tried to run off. So just be persistent...the oldest just started eating from my hand, and the youngest wont touch anything I offer, she turns her head. So Im thinking its the age difference...But it may just be a personality thing... :?:

lol- and I was beat to it ;)

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Spikey was really jumpy in the beginning and every time we just touched him he would run away and get a lot of stress marks. We then kept petting him even if he ran off ,until he stayed still and realized that it actually didnt hurt.After only a few days he let us pet him without running away(only on the ocassion). We tried to pet him at least 3-4 times a day (sometimes just for a couple seconds)and everytime I walked by him I stopped and just talked to him.Sometimes I put my hand in his tank without touching him so he learnt that my hand doesnt harm him at all. Now after 2 months he is totally calm when we pet him and when we put hom out of his tank.Of course sometimes when we cuddle with him he wants to jump of.But thats because he LOVES to explore the living room and to run from on corner to the next one :) If he tries to jump down I dont let him down though.I wait a few minutes until he calms down and then I put him down and he can then do whatever he wants to do :)
In the last few days he actually doesnt even wanna go back in his tank anymore.When we carry him towards his tank he crawls up my arm :D and when he is in his tank and I put my hand in he sometimes jumps on it like hes saying OK now lift me up.Lift me up.Its play/cuddle time.

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dooter":3tqz31rv said:

I did this with all of my dragons, and I think it instills a feeling for them of being able to relax enough with you to fall asleep when they are babies - as you keep doing this as they get older, they just know that they can relax with you.

If he gapes at you (most babies do), don't even acknowledge it. Don't hesitate in picking him up, otherwise he'll figure out that he can "scare" you away.

Also hand-feed him treats! Squash and fruit are good treats to do this with, also "special" bugs like waxworms.

Thanks!!! Fruit?

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
Lumpdog450":20jjmg60 said:
Dooter":20jjmg60 said:

Thanks!!! Fruit?

Yep, fruit! Cut it up into thin, bite-sized pieces. Stella loves strawberries, raspberries and watermelon. :mrgreen:

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dooter":iu2o72nf said:
Lumpdog450":iu2o72nf said:
Dooter":iu2o72nf said:

Thanks!!! Fruit?

Yep, fruit! Cut it up into thin, bite-sized pieces. Stella loves strawberries, raspberries and watermelon. :mrgreen:

THANKS!!!! I'm trying it all!

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Never make sudden movements, never swoop in too fast to pick him up. It makes them nervous & jumpy. It's just their natural reaction. A bird is what swoops in fast to pick them up for example. Come in slow from the front to pick him up (always be lower then him) even when offering treats. Offer it from the ground not above him. & yes, offer him treats by hand feeding once & awhile. Handle him at least once a day for 15 minutes, calm him by petting / messaging his head / neck area. Don't be scared if he gaps his mouth at you, as said in a few posts earlier. They'll realize that they can scare you away & I can vouch for this, my first dragon that was adult always scared me by doing this resulting in me not wanting to pick him up when I was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom