2 beardie across state travel

LilReptar

Beardie name(s)
Mu
I am moving from AZ to NE at the end of September. I have two boys (Ryuk and Mu) and will be driving for about a day and a half to two days. My vehicle has an outlet connection so I can atleast plug in a uvb during the drive. What recommendations do yall have to make this trip safe for my babies?
My original thought was use the smaller viv as a transport box with the light and have one in at a time (they both do well driving when we are around town and stuff) and just rotate them every few hours. But any other tips and tricks you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That should be ok. I recommend one of the nylon folding pet carriers also, just in case the boy thats out gets unruly.

LilReptar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mu
That should be ok. I recommend one of the nylon folding pet carriers also, just in case the boy thats out gets unruly.
I have one of those already for our smaller trips in the passenger seat. I'm really just worried about their lightning situation. They wouldn't be getting as much as normal but at the same time we will be outside (on a harness of course) at moments of the trip.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've done lots of long multi-day drives with my guys. As long as yours aren't stressed out by car rides in general, they should be fine. I wouldn't plug in a UVB in the car, but if you make some stops at outdoor rest areas once in a while (a good idea anyway) to give them some time in the sun it will be helpful. If you can't stop, don't worry about it too much. As mentioned, a few days without UVB won't be a problem.

In the car I like using the oxgord pet carrier because it clips into the seatbelt to secure it and works well as a carrier in general. Anything similar to that should work well. It is very helpful to keep a bag filled with some carpet cleaner, sanitizer, and vinegar sprays as well as some poop bags and rags/paper towels easily accessible in case cleanup is needed. I don't worry about food too much, but have found that keeping a container of black soldier fly larvae is really easy during travel and makes an easy/relatively clean meal for them.

If you are staying in a hotel, they can sleep in their carriers without an issue. You can set up lights on an adjustable lamp stand if you want to, but I haven't found it necessary and the timing doesn't really work since you're in the hotel when their lights would be out anyway. In general I keep a travel kit with a collapsible play pen, an adjustable lamp stand, dome fixture, and MVB along with a mechanical timer, temp probe, and a couple of small hides/basking spots. I use this when I'm setting up at a destination for a period of time rather than during travel.

LilReptar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mu
I've done lots of long multi-day drives with my guys. As long as yours aren't stressed out by car rides in general, they should be fine. I wouldn't plug in a UVB in the car, but if you make some stops at outdoor rest areas once in a while (a good idea anyway) to give them some time in the sun it will be helpful. If you can't stop, don't worry about it too much. As mentioned, a few days without UVB won't be a problem.

In the car I like using the oxgord pet carrier because it clips into the seatbelt to secure it and works well as a carrier in general. Anything similar to that should work well. It is very helpful to keep a bag filled with some carpet cleaner, sanitizer, and vinegar sprays as well as some poop bags and rags/paper towels easily accessible in case cleanup is needed. I don't worry about food too much, but have found that keeping a container of black soldier fly larvae is really easy during travel and makes an easy/relatively clean meal for them.

If you are staying in a hotel, they can sleep in their carriers without an issue. You can set up lights on an adjustable lamp stand if you want to, but I haven't found it necessary and the timing doesn't really work since you're in the hotel when their lights would be out anyway. In general I keep a travel kit with a collapsible play pen, an adjustable lamp stand, dome fixture, and MVB along with a mechanical timer, temp probe, and a couple of small hides/basking spots. I use this when I'm setting up at a destination for a period of time rather than during travel.
Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it. The trip is a 20hr straight shot so I plan on doing it quick (getting married out there but have to come back to AZ to pick up the animals). I'll be making a few stops just for the babies to get out for a bit since I will also have two cats with me. Like I've said, I just want to make sure everyone is safe until we reach our new home. My dragons are my babies and I can't stand the thought of hurting them. But if a couple days without the uvb will be okay then I feel more confident about the drive. Thank you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom