tile newbie help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I currently have playsand with milo and I wanted to switch to tile. So what type of tile do you recommend? Should I get one big tile or many small tiles how do I make them less slippery etc.

JDB507

Hey, so this is what I know from my research. Tiles such as slate and ceramic are good options. However, you must consider that they are slightly porous and will hold bacteria. You need to clean and rinse them very thoroughly to make sure no bacteria or cleaning chemicals remain. (if you use a bleach water solution rise really well with hot water until no chemical smell is present). These tiles also tend to be more expensive and heavier. So if you have a large tank, the weight and price may be an issue. Also, unless you are able to buy tiles that will fit your tank exactly, you will have to figure out how to cut the tiles to appropriate size. Another option is linoleum or vinyl. This is what I use. The nice thing about these tiles is that they are much cheaper, lighter weight, and non porous. You still need to spot clean and do a throughout cleaning once a week though. I purchased individual 12x12 tiles at my local hardware store and cut them with scissors to fit my tank. They are adhesive on the back so they stick to the bottom. The only problem I have run into is that the adhesive makes it hard to remove and clean the tiles completely. When I do my throughout cleaning, I do not like to leave them in there because I worry that any chemicals I am using will get trapped under the tiles or ruin the adhesive. I haven't found a great solution for this problem yet. As for making tiles less slippery, look for ones that have some texture and grab. Unfortunately, a lot of finished tiles are smooth. You can either try a more natural stone like slate with a little more grit, or get some basking rocks that will provide traction and grind down the nails. I hope this helped a little bit!

Best of luck,
Jen

krusty46

I would go biggest possible. I use slate in my Leo tank (4''x4''s and 2''x2''s) and while the pattern looks nice, it's a pain to take them all out to clean and put back. Thankfully they poop in the same spot every day :)
I use a giant sheet of slate (maybe 12'' x 24'') in my beardie tank on top of reptile carpet and it's much easier to just take out and clean 1 piece.

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. I have linoleum and I hear its good. Its a little slippery but if I and it down I think v it would be good. It's lightweight too!

Envy

Different n00b here, switching from Repicarpet to tile because I'm getting a larger terranium and they don't make repicarpet for it (that I can find). Does coulour matter? I feel like black would hold the heat better, but my little dude looks way better on lighter colours.

BEARDIESandCOFFEE

Hatchling Member
Is the adhesive on the back of that vinyl tile ok to have on there? I was under the impression that when that glue heats up, it'll give off chemicals....??? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom