Super runny poo

Hi guys. My little guy Queso pooped today and it looked a little nastier than usually. He seems fine and has actually been a lot more active. He did eat a big bowl of lettuce yesterday so I don’t know if that’s why but I’m a newbie to this so I wanted to make sure he is ok. I’ll include a pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 99

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys. My little guy Queso pooped today and it looked a little nastier than usually. He seems fine and has actually been a lot more active. He did eat a big bowl of lettuce yesterday so I don’t know if that’s why but I’m a newbie to this so I wanted to make sure he is ok. I’ll include a pic below.
Lettuce??? As in ice berg lettuce? Diet --- surface basking temps and UVB play a huge role in the dragons health ---- please go over all mentioned above--- how are you getting surface basking temps and what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture? and the diet your feeding? how old is the dragon?

QuesoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Lettuce??? As in ice berg lettuce? Diet --- surface basking temps and UVB play a huge role in the dragons health ---- please go over all mentioned above--- how are you getting surface basking temps and what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture? and the diet your feeding? how old is the dragon?
Yes lettuce. My vet told me to feed it to him so he gets nutrients and vitamins. He has a coil bulb that my vet said was ok. He eats crickets carrots lettuce and freeze dried food. He is around 5.5 months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes lettuce. My vet told me to feed it to him so he gets nutrients and vitamins. He has a coil bulb that my vet said was ok. He eats crickets carrots lettuce and freeze dried food. He is around 5.5 months old.
Ok so your vet is given you all incorrect information --- first dragons need a good diet iceberg lettuce will give runny stools and no nutritional value at all --- a good hydrator but no nutrients - romaine lettuce is good I am posting a nutrition website for your dragon ignore the kale info it is a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
Next the coil UVB's are a hazard to your dragon - they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues - he is very young you need to replace the UVB as soon as possible -- he is not getting adequate calcium absorption w/ the coil--- if you want me to post links for good UVB's please ask I will get them posted but please get rid of the coil bulb I cannot stress this enough --- freeze dried food as not really good -- fresh is best please look at the nutritional website I posted for you-- are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3? Your dragon needs this and the good UVB I mentioned - he wont be able to properly utilize the D3 w/ the coil-- surface basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- the temp will change for his around 6 months of age and he wont want that hot of a temp - it will need to be adjusted to 95-100 -- please make the adjustments as soon as possible your dragon is getting sick w/ the improper husbandry -- if you want more help please ask --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The poo looks OK, just a bit extra water content, which likely would have been caused by the iceberg lettuce. Typically, a one-off odd poo is nothing to worry about. It's only when it's a common occurrence that it is an indicator of an underlying issue.

Iceberg lettuce does have nutritional value, saying it has none at all is not correct. There are definitely better salad items to choose from though - Collard greens, mustard greens, bok choy to name a few. Just because one is better than another does not negate the lesser from being part of a healthy varied diet. Although as you've found out, iceberg does have lots of water content.

-Brandon

Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I agree 100% with Brandon and yes the poo looks good. Just well hydrated.

Coil UVBs are fine for some reptiles but for a bearded dragon you should change to something stonger like a tube fixture.

QuesoTheBeardie

Original Poster
The poo looks OK, just a bit extra water content, which likely would have been caused by the iceberg lettuce. Typically, a one-off odd poo is nothing to worry about. It's only when it's a common occurrence that it is an indicator of an underlying issue.

Iceberg lettuce does have nutritional value, saying it has none at all is not correct. There are definitely better salad items to choose from though - Collard greens, mustard greens, bok choy to name a few. Just because one is better than another does not negate the lesser from being part of a healthy varied diet. Although as you've found out, iceberg does have lots of water content.

-Brandon
Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom