Tile substrate

Hi, I am currently using reptile carpet for my bearded dragons. I want something that is easier to clean and that doesn't hold on to the smells. I've been looking up which tiles are best. I got self adhesive vinyl tiles today at lowes but are returning them due to articles saying they are bad because of the adhesive and not being able to handle the heat. Are there any suggestions about maybe a vinyl type or ceramic type or if I should go for Actual tile and what kind of tile? Thanks in advance

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Part of my enclosure is ceramic tile, then the other is travertine tile. Like the travertine because it hold heat real well and has places that help shave down the claws. I have the 2 pieces of travertine under my bask spot. The cool side of my enclosure is non-adhesive shelf liner you buy a roll and when it gets dirty you cut a new piece and toss the old. I have heard of people using that vinyl adhesive tile on here but if your not comfortable with it there are many other options

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Ok. Like I said I've just heard of there being fumes from the adhesive or the vinyl getting soft when heated. I wasn't going to take the paper off the adhesive but just set the vinyl tiles in the enclosure. But I've also seen post of people doing fine with the vinyl. I've also heard of ceramic being good too. So I'm just confused.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok. Like I said I've just heard of there being fumes from the adhesive or the vinyl getting soft when heated. I wasn't going to take the paper off the adhesive but just set the vinyl tiles in the enclosure. But I've also seen post of people doing fine with the vinyl. I've also heard of ceramic being good too. So I'm just confused.
Slated ceramic tile is good -- nothing real coarse or too smooth -- something thats going to give them some traction but something that is not going to give them abrasions - run your hand across it to see how it feels - you want textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- both are good and easy to clean - I would not grout or seal the tiles but put a thick shop paper towel underneath it to catch the watery urate easier clean up - also for deep cleaning you can pull those tiles -

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 94

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
If you have any doubt in your mind don’t do it because it’ll only trouble you once it’s in there. Ceramic tiles are good they hold heat pretty well. Most of the time pretty cheap too. The travertine tile is awesome looks natural and holds heat very very well, cost a little more than ceramic because it made out of stone. Also cheap is the shelf liner but I don’t care for that on the hot side but that’s just me. That stuff is easy because it comes in a big roll for cheap and when there’s a poop or a mess you just take that part out and throw down another sheet.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Slated ceramic tile is good -- nothing real coarse or too smooth -- something thats going to give them some traction but something that is not going to give them abrasions - run your hand across it to see how it feels - you want textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- both are good and easy to clean - I would not grout or seal the tiles but put a thick shop paper towel underneath it to catch the watery urate easier clean up - also for deep cleaning you can pull those tiles -
Never thought of putting a shop paper towel under the tiles it’s a great idea. One of the reasons I like the travertine is because it’s not sharp but not smooth. Btw @Beardienoobie ive seen pics of the slated tile in karrieree tank and looks nice.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Thank you both. I'll be returning the vinyl tiles today and going with something different. Probably the ceramic. Maybe some travertine but not sure yet. Karrieree, do you have pictures of the ceramic tiles? And are the ceramic tiles kind of like the vinyl?

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
As far as I know they are kind of like linoleum. Do the ceramic tiles bend at all or are they hard? Also, do those have lips where they can connect together or do you just slide them together? I have a 75 gallon tank I believe it is that is 12 inches wide and I believe 48 inches long if I remember right.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
No bending and yes hard and no lips no connecting. At 12 inches wide and 48 inches long you could get you 4,
12 x 12 ceramic tiles. Any real tile you buy is going to be solid it’s not going to bend. If you decide to go with the long slate tile I’m sure karrieree will give you the dimensions for that. It’s all good as long as the tiles not sharp or too smooth they won’t gain traction and your good.

Beardienoobie

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks again very much for everything. Been alot of help as I've seen different opinions on this but here at bearded dragon.org I feel like there may be more experience/knowledge than other sites.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom