The Dresden Files - 12/9 Ember is now at peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't help myself with the title of this thread. It makes me smile! The Dresden Files are some of my favorite fantasy books about a magician/warlock detective in Chicago. I love them and the name, so my new beardie baby is now Dresden. He will soon have a brother whom I am adopting this weekend from a family not far from me. They are moving out of state and want him to have a good home. They tried to sell him on CL but had no takers, or if they did they didn't like who was inquiring because they want him to have a good home. They are giving me him, plus his whole 55 gallon tank and stand for super cheap.
Dresden was 10 inches and 47 grams as of 8/3/2011 and was hatched the week of May 9th, 2011 which makes him 13 weeks old.

Here is Dresden as of this morning
394e9800.jpg

This is the soon-to-be-brother. I need to find him a name. How can you name a beardie before you meet him or her?
92da48f9.jpg

--Maggie

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
There are translucents at your local pet shop? How interesting! Of course the local pet store here would be PetSmart or Petco. There is one decent local pet shop but it's a ways from me, and I don't usually have an excuse to get down that way. Thank goodness or I'd have about a million baby beardies right now. I only have to worry about Ember now. Rea said she's making superb progress. It'll probably be a few weeks until she's satisfied that Ember is ready to go, which gives me a couple weeks to get my whole cage situation under control. I'm quickly running out of space.

I worked at Starbucks for about 2.5 years. I more or less loved it, until I started realising that internal promotions paid horridly compared to what external hires were getting for the same job. I was just about to get my own store, as a manager, but declined in the interest of my sanity and pay check.

Since it's been a bit since we've had photos - here are photos!

Dresden has figured out that if he gets high enough, and the screen top is off, he can go exploring. I had the screen top on just before I snapped the photo, but he obviously wanted out!
3c5fb96f.jpg

His left arm shed today, the right one has started, the tail is still being stubborn and now his nose is starting to go into shed. He's a mess! But the colors are POPPING!
399968d6.jpg

His beard is getting colorful...Don't mind the pink lips from the Acidopholiz. To my knowledge he's not a drag queen (yet).
e8d32787.jpg

Pretty Nezzie!
dcac2d78.jpg

And a rather horrid video of her eating, but she's so excited about it now I can't resist posting it anyway.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I worked there for 5 years- the first 3.5 were great-I loved it. then we got this know-it-all manager (an external hire with zero experience) who I just could not get on with - I was running closing shift one Saturday but I was really sick and he just threw his keys at me and told me to get on with it, then went home 2 hours early. And that wasn't the half of it!!! I got so fed up with all of these new people who just couldn't take constructive criticism and weren't willing to pull their weight! I stayed on part time when I got my first teaching post but it all just got too much and like you, I needed to retain some sanity!LOL!

Sorry- that was a ramble!!! LOL!

I'm so excited about Ember- hopefully her leg sorts itself out soon- I think it may take more than one shed tho- Kazi didn't lost his toe tip until his third shed from what I remember!!

Great new pics, Maggie!!! I think you may need to start locking Dres In!!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No worries on the ramble Christina. I like getting to know my friends more :) It's more of a story than a ramble teehee!

Today is their last day at home, then it's off to the vet tonight for boarding. I wrote up a cheat sheet with their normal routines so hopefully the vet and techs are able to stick with it as much as possible. My biggest concern is that Dresden is mid-shed. I bath him every day while he's going through this shed as it seems a bit more effort than the previous one. He's been kind of grumpy and clingy, wanting to be held more. I feel kind of guilty for leaving them since I've only had them 5 weeks. I hope they don't think they are going to another new home!

Dresden is 142 grams this morning and 13 inches :)

Ember can take as long as she wants to shed her arm...I just want her and Rea to both be comfortable with her coming to my place. I'm working out how to arrange my room for 3 vivs...It's a lot harder than I thought it was since my space is so limited. I'm looking into BoaMaster.com and seeing if I can't get stacking vivs with sliding doors. It would be SO much easier! I would attempt to build something, but I just don't have the time or tools to do it.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Hi Maggie!!!
Super cute pics, Nezzie is very pretty and very "girly" looking! Dresden is adorable too! Hope you are enjoying your vacation!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fez09":11eft0ta said:
Hi Maggie!!!
Super cute pics, Nezzie is very pretty and very "girly" looking! Dresden is adorable too! Hope you are enjoying your vacation!!

Thank you Kat! It's been very relaxing just doing a bunch of nothing. I'm loving it! I miss my critters though :)

I don't get Dresden and Nezzie back until Tuesday afternoon. I can't wait to see what they look like after a week away. I'm hoping Dresden grew a bunch to keep giving Thor some reason to keep growing :)

Ember has been doing well! Her bad arm fell off, and I think she'll be ready to ship once her scabs are healed. She's nearly 17cm (about 6.5 inches)! Rea keeps me updated. I ordered the reptile shipping kit for Ember to be shipped when she's ready. Here are some pics of her!

Arm waving at her reflection
Ember3.jpg

Happy Embie
Ember2.jpg

You can see the nubbin of her arm - looks pretty good!
Ember1.jpg

MissT

BD.org Addict
Did her arm fall off with the shed or did Rea have it removed?

Its probably best to wait a little while for shipping - until she is 'steady' on her feet :D

She looks great tho :D I bet you are excited!!!!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
To my knowledge it fell off on its own. She had trimmed the foot part since it kept getting stuck on things, but was letting the remaining bit do its own thing.

I am getting excited! I've gotten most everything sorted out for the vivs, just need to get them so I can assemble them :lol:

fez09

Extreme Poster
OH MY GOODNESS!! Sweet little Ember! So very precious, I'm with Michael, that armwave brought a tear! You must be sooo excited! She's gonna be special for sure!! Pretty soon, you're gonna be like me and have beardies by the dozen! LOL!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was checking my thread from my phone and had missed your comment Michael. I love that she is so strong and stoic about the whole thing. She's resilient.

Her arm wave is adorable with her little stump of an arm. Her poor head had been a chew top for her hatch-mates along with her tail. I keep telling Rea is adds to her personality :) Rea says she doesn't explore much, but loves her baths and snuggles. I can't wait for a beardie who loves baths!

If I end up with dozens of beardies Kat, you're going to have to be my house sitter! It's hard enough finding someone to take care of the two I have, let alone 3 :lol: And I'll probably need a new place to live. Got a basement? teehee

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
She is a cutie pie! I was so glad to see that you were taking her in and I can't wait for more pictures! When Norris' large viv is made it is going to be a double stacking viv with a third corner viv...yes that would make for three. My husband and I are already planning this. LOL But we are waiting until the vivs are built. I get another beardie and he finally gets his tort. At least that is how the floor plan is working at the moment...I suppose that we could stack on the corner, right? Har har, just kidding. It's so hard seeing the dragons that need help, I just want to gather them all up. I repeat, I'm SOO glad you were able to take in little Ember. Her face is just adorable and sweet. :D

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just a quick update. I'm at the airport waiting to collect my bag and get home.

I got a voicemail from the vet with results on adenovirus. It took them nearly 3 weeks to get the results despite phone calls from me and having them boarded at the vet. Nezzie is negative however Dresden is positive :( I started a thread in Infectious Diseases hoping that Tracy will see it and I can get some information from her as well as help her with an data collection she may want.

I'm frustrated. I don't Dresden to have any health problems - he's too cute for that ;)

I will post more when I can. I pick them up tomorrow evening!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow I am so sorry to hear that about Dresden Maggie!

Hopefully Tracie can shed some light on it and give you some helpful tips!

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom