The Dresden Files - 12/9 Ember is now at peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't help myself with the title of this thread. It makes me smile! The Dresden Files are some of my favorite fantasy books about a magician/warlock detective in Chicago. I love them and the name, so my new beardie baby is now Dresden. He will soon have a brother whom I am adopting this weekend from a family not far from me. They are moving out of state and want him to have a good home. They tried to sell him on CL but had no takers, or if they did they didn't like who was inquiring because they want him to have a good home. They are giving me him, plus his whole 55 gallon tank and stand for super cheap.
Dresden was 10 inches and 47 grams as of 8/3/2011 and was hatched the week of May 9th, 2011 which makes him 13 weeks old.

Here is Dresden as of this morning
394e9800.jpg

This is the soon-to-be-brother. I need to find him a name. How can you name a beardie before you meet him or her?
92da48f9.jpg

--Maggie

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":2p6spaqw said:
Dres has red on his arms too, I see this in Thor. Definitely developing a very charming beard! :wink:
Yay! I would love it If he had a Purdy beard :)

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've decided I hate worms. Mostly I hate having to force meds on them, but I almost equally loathe the sheet amount of cleaning involved. I swear that is how I spent most of my weekend, cleaning vivs and going through and entire Sunday newspaper. At least tomorrow will be less medications. A couple of them are 'for 3 days' and 'days 1 & 3' so there should only be 3 syringes tomorrow (including the Acidopholiz). I now officially relate to you Christina for what you have had to do for Kazi. I had 8 syringes lined up tonight. It's no wonder they both put themselves to bed early.

Poor Nezzie! She's had 2 big poops in 3 days, which is definitely a record for her. Usually she struggles so I'm hoping that since I haven't seen her go, and judging that everything a in one place instead of being drug around the viv, that she is going a lot easier. She hasn't eaten much today though. It makes me worried. I've only had her for 3 weeks (as of Saturday) and I don't know her well enough to tell if she's just not into eating due to meds or what. She's completely been ignoring her bowl of Reptiworms, which she normally goes ga-ga over, and only had about 3- 3/4" dubia nymphs and maybe a couple bites of salad. After meds at 6pm the poor girl crawled up onto her half log, in a most uncomfortable looking position I might add, and tried to go to sleep. I took the hint, turned off her lights and tucked her into her blanket. I'd be sulking too if I were here.

Dresden has been fairing a bit better. He's only eating about 8 or 9 nymphs today, about 1/2" or so, and 4 of those were hand fed. Because I'm curious, I looked at his poop, which of course he's going quite frequently, and saw a large WHOLE worm. EWW. I can handle live things, but the stuff that has been living in his body is just NASTY. I feel so bad for him. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have that going on inside your digestive track.

I was trying to get some cuddle time in with him, but he wasn't having it. I can't say I blame him though since I have had to force meds on him. About 8pm he climbed up on his tree and made like he was going to bed. I still had the top screen off of his viv and he eyed the edge with a very 'I'm gonna be a rebel beardie' look and jumped up onto the ledge! I didn't think he was daring enough to try it but he did. He made the landing, which is good considering that if he had missed he would have falled 4 feet to the floor. I may need to change his name to Eevil Knevil.
56328d6e.jpg

As soon as I took him off the edge and got him calmed down, I wrapped him in his blanket and he passed right out. Battling worms is exhausting!
212fce81.jpg

And of *course* any good baby beardie loves his salad, especially when they are off of their appetites. I laughed when I saw this, then had the presence of mind to snap a photo. It's hard to tell, but he piled all the greens in his bowl to the one side and was holding them there with the arm you can't see in the photo.

"Don't you lay a finger on my salad Mom! Ignore my sexy leg pose because I'm being serious right now. Stop laughing. I love my salad. Really. You're still laughing. Not cool, Mom, not cool. *stink eye*"
9109eab2.jpg

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He didn't eat a thing for breakfast. I left about 30 small dubia in a bowl hoping he'll eat some when I'm not looking. Nezzie wasn't interested either, but I did get her to drink some water this morning. I got about 2-3 mls in her plus the Acidopholiz.

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dresden is up to 94 grams, which is +2 from his vet visit on Friday. He's still at 12 inches though.

Nezzie is at 331 grams so she is holding steady with the meds.

Did I mention I hate meds and worms? Cuz I do.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Glad to hear weight is not a factor, we all hate meds and worms.. you will be done with this soon enough and back with better confidence in the health of your dragons. :wink:

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Michael. It's just frustrating to have a great eater go flat. I'll be happy as long as he doesn't lose anything. The next few days will be much easier on them both since they only have the Doxycycline and the Metronidazole. I'm tempted to try the Reptaid and use that after the doxycycline is done and use it until I have to redo the worming. Does anyone have experience with it (Brandon, this means you).

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Wow all this talk of worms has me terrified to go there myself. Eek! I hope they go away after all this hard work!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks you for the hope! I'm hoping too - I them being in a funk. It's not my lizards right now, just some funky attitude ones.

Dresden is doing much better today - he ate breakfast and dinner and even a snack of dubia I left in his viv today! Nezzie however is still just as grumpy. Cantankerous biddy! She is only 2, but someone has the attitude of a 70 year old grandma in a nursing home. She was just trying to go to sleep in the corner of her viv so I moved her to the blanket and folded it in half with her in it. I had placed a larger dog dish of water in her viv as she always seems to be thirsty with the meds, and there is a cut out so the bowl can be picked up when it's on the ground. Can you see where this is going yet? The blanket is next to the bowl, and I have a grumpy lizard who just got herself stuck under the bowl. *sigh* I'm takings pics as proof before I move her to her proper hide so she can sleep.
freaking lizard getting herself stuck...mumble mumble mumble...

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OH! I did have good news to share - Dres is at 105 grams and 12.25 inches. His legs and tail are getting ready to shed again too :)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
McSkweeky":1h3xadhk said:
OH! I did have good news to share - Dres is at 105 grams and 12.25 inches. His legs and tail are getting ready to shed again too :)
Great! :mrgreen:
How is he looking?

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I about had a heart attack this morning. I was at a friend's house for dinner and a movie last night (a thank you to me for babysitting their dogs last weekend) so my roommate was home. I got home late and went straight to bed. When I woke up and started getting things ready for the beardies I noticed Zoe wasn't around. She's always got her nose in things with them as she curious. I swear she is the epitome of "curiosity killed the cat". When I called her to come eat some of the greens I spilled on the floor (yes, she liked to pretend she is a beardie) she didn't come. I instantly freaked out, checking all the rooms in the house, waking up my roommate to see if she was in his room, walking around outside with a bowl of food calling her name, double checking the rooms I just checked... She was gone. Somehow she must of gotten out the night before when I wasn't home. Barry had his family over so I think she must of snuck out during that time.

Baxter was helping me out by yowling for her as well. Zoe is his sister so I know he knew something was up. As I was walking around still calling her name I heard another yowl that was Zoe. I kept calling her name walking all around and ended up in the back yard. I kept calling and finally I saw a gray ball of fur come around the neighbors fence line yowling and making a bee line for me. I nabbed her up, took her in the house, checked to make sure she had all her bits and pieces, then scolded her for going out. This cat is going to give me a migraine if she keeps getting out. At least she came home. My to-do this week now includes getting Zoe micro-chipped.

On a much better note, Dresden ate like a pig this morning! I didn't keep count of what he ate, but he had a few butterworms and some larger dubia nymphs. I was so excited! His belly was just amazingly FAT. Even Nezzie ate a few butterworms and a couple dubia this morning as well. It's going to be a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom