The Dresden Files - 12/9 Ember is now at peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't help myself with the title of this thread. It makes me smile! The Dresden Files are some of my favorite fantasy books about a magician/warlock detective in Chicago. I love them and the name, so my new beardie baby is now Dresden. He will soon have a brother whom I am adopting this weekend from a family not far from me. They are moving out of state and want him to have a good home. They tried to sell him on CL but had no takers, or if they did they didn't like who was inquiring because they want him to have a good home. They are giving me him, plus his whole 55 gallon tank and stand for super cheap.
Dresden was 10 inches and 47 grams as of 8/3/2011 and was hatched the week of May 9th, 2011 which makes him 13 weeks old.

Here is Dresden as of this morning
394e9800.jpg

This is the soon-to-be-brother. I need to find him a name. How can you name a beardie before you meet him or her?
92da48f9.jpg

--Maggie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Did a quick search on here - lots of posts on Kale binding calcium - I believe its because it contains oxalates (although that may be me getting confused).

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Oxalate binds to calcium during digestion. Spinach is not going to kill your dragon cause it is toxic (it isn't toxic to dragons) to them it will kill them by binding it's high ratio of oxalate to any calcium. This prevents your dragon from getting the calcium it needs and will result in the dragon developing MBD. Kale has a mod oxalate and but, has a better calcium ratio then spinach making it an occasional food and not rarely or never.

edited for clarity and a better wording

MissT

BD.org Addict
Beardednoob":2g7kjvyv said:
Oxalate binds to calcium during digestion. Spinach is not going to kill your dragon cause it is toxic to them it will kill them by binding it high ratio of oxalate to the calcium. This prevents your dragon from getting the calcium it needs and will result in the dragon developing MBD as a result. Kale has a mod oxalate and but, has a better calcium ratio then spinach making it an occasional food and not rarely or never.

You know, I have gotten very confused now lol! Iv been looking at the beautiful dragons chart and even some of the GREEN foods contain oxalates..... hmmmm I just do what im told lol

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
MissT":3r3qpc1x said:
Beardednoob":3r3qpc1x said:
Oxalate binds to calcium during digestion. Spinach is not going to kill your dragon cause it is toxic to them it will kill them by binding it high ratio of oxalate to the calcium. This prevents your dragon from getting the calcium it needs and will result in the dragon developing MBD as a result. Kale has a mod oxalate and but, has a better calcium ratio then spinach making it an occasional food and not rarely or never.

You know, I have gotten very confused now lol! Iv been looking at the beautiful dragons chart and even some of the GREEN foods contain oxalates..... hmmmm I just do what im told lol

It is the ratio, if the food has oxalates but, is lower then the calcium or just low in general, the oxalate has a harder time blocking the absorption of calcium. It really boils down to a Ox:Ca ratio, of which I am not 100% right now but, I am looking.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Beardednoob":3eby53lt said:
It is the ratio, if the food has oxalates but, is lower then the calcium or just low in general, the oxalate has a harder time blocking the absorption of calcium. It really boils down to a Ox:Ca ratio, of which I am not 100% right now but, I am looking.
That is much too confusing for me at this time of night lol! I am interested in finding out tho.

One thing tho - to get back to the point - if your trying to attract her to her greens, (whether using Kale or not) try to use different colours of salad toppers to make it more interesting for her :D

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
We really should have had this in it's own thread, sorry Maggie.
I think the ideal is 2:1 Ca:Ox ratio, anything better then that is acceptable. So like with the mustard greens it only has 1287ppm (PPM= Parts per million) it says it is moderate but, can easily be countered with another green or dusting. :wink:

Would be nice to have someone who already is 100% all knowing chime in here.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Beardednoob":1y4ouqd8 said:
Would be nice to have someone who already is 100% all knowing chime in here.

If we shout loud enough, perhaps Diane or Tracie will hear us and come over to help!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No worries! I would love to know what is good for my beardies, especially since I'm still a new and learning owner. I've only had Dresen and Nezzie for less than a month so I know I have a lot to learn.

For now I think I'll stick to collard greens and mustard greens, and get some apple juice to put on it to encourage her to eat it. YUM! I might it at that point teehee

MissT

BD.org Addict
I used to drizzle watered down apple puree on salads to get their attention. My lot seem to enjoy red things in their food! I think if I could dye the greens red, we would have cleared salad bowls every day!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":9gamcwt4 said:
McSkweeky":9gamcwt4 said:
I will take a pic of his tail base today and you can give me your opinion. I'm hoping it's not just his belly that is getting fat. I do like that we can compare the two. It makes it interesting - kind of a 'my kid is smarter than your kid' teehee
LOL, I will wait for the picture :wink:

Here ya go Michael
51983581.jpg

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've had friends visiting from Minnesota for the week, and have had a lot of fun teaching them both about beardies. Katie brought her 5 year old son Jayden and he loves the beardies! It's so much fun to have a kid with all that enthusiasm :)

Dresden finally shed his head. He ate a semi-good breakfast - it wasn't nearly as much as I was hoping he'd eat after not eating much at all yesterday, but I bet he's still a bit uncomfortable. Nezzie got about 10 large Reptiworms and 1 superworm yesterday, and it looks like she ate some of her salad. I know I said I was going to not give her live food, but I didn't have a chance to get better salad ingredients until today Her poo today was formed, but the urate was watery. Not sure what that was about. Any ideas?

We had Dresden out for a bit tonight. He was just sitting on my hand and all of sudden decided he wanted UP. And this is where he ended up
DresdenonmyHead.jpg

My friend Katie was holding him (way to go Katie!) and Baxter was sitting near them. All of sudden Dresden jumped onto Baxter's back. Poor Bax had NO idea what to think about a wanna-be-cowboy beardie on his back! It was hilarious!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure what to think about the tail bases. Are the similar? Does Dresden have a good tail base?

MissT

BD.org Addict
They both look good :) Thor is starting to fill 'out' - his legs and tail base are a little chunkier but dres will catch up in no time! Enjoy him while he is little!

Love that pic- isn't it funny how they like to get up as high as possible and will so anything to be the 'tallest' thing in the room lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom