The B grade 15$ beardie in the back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im Denver new to posting on this site.
Back in November while picking up crickets for my crested gecko i was looking at the reptiles and noticed on the bearded dragon cage there was a note saying ask about "B grade beardies" in the back for 15$. This sort of peaked my curiosity as the others were being sold for 80-140$.

Back when i was 13 or so i had a bearded dragon but due to lack of information at the time (im now 23) it died within 2 months. I had named the little guy draco but looking back he was sold way to young. I had also owned some brown and green anoles as a kid that lived for a few years. My Crested gecko thorn i got 2 years ago after much research on the easiest lizard to own. At this point i felt this was a opertunity to give the so called B grade beardie a good home, having been successful with Thorn for so long. I did only about 2 hours of research and went back and asked about the b graded beardies in the back. They brought me out a very dark colored 2-3 month old bearded dragon with probly half her tail missing. I instantly decided she was comming home with me, despite my lack of proper knowledge. I thought i knew everything i had uvb lighting and bought a kit from the pet store that was on sale that included food bowl water bowl 20gallon cage log calcium and vitamen supplaments and sand. (sand not being used :wink: )

When i got her home i noticed bugs of some sort under her eye lids and alot of stuck shed and old poop smeared on her. I soon realised this was going to be alot more work then i thought and over the corse of the next month spent over 20 hours searching through these forums and constantly worrying. I named her Daenareys after the character from a song of ice and fire (game of thrones) hoping she wouldnt drop a pair later on :lol: (wich so far she hasnt lol). I gave her lots of baths to get rid of the mites or bugs on her and get her clean. 4 months later she is now a beautiful shade of yellow, very fat, and spoiled.

She gets fed dubia roaches twice a day and a bath at least once every other day (she only goes to the bathroom at bathtime) and she constantly has collard greens available to her hopfuly in the summer ill be able to get some more variety of vegtables though. I dust her dubias in calcium 5 times a week and vitamens the other 2 days. I have started my own dubia colony wich gets fed high protien puppy and cat food with fish food mixed in. I use the repti sun 10.0 bulb mounted inside her cage and a 100 w regular light to get her basking area around 100-110 and her cool area is usualy between 75-80. She has lights on from 10am-11pm and every morning she goes and looks out the window and lays on my bead for a few hours. Her cage is only 20 gallons still but i plan on building her a cage this summer that will be 20inches wide and 3 feet long substrate is papertowels. As well she is allowed to roam anywere in my room for at least a hour a day usualy more if im home. Overall it was alot more work to get her all set up and healthy than it was with my crested gecko thorn but she is worth it. I only wish i had the information i do now back when i got my first bearded dragon Draco as a kid.

Aww well I'm glad you gave this little girl a new home!! Personally I think its kind of horrible how petstores will sell animals with imperfections at a low price just to et rid of them, and they usually wont even have them out on the sale floor as if they arent as good as the 'perfect' animals. Definately a good break for you though! Look forward to seeing pictures of her!

DenverDaenareys

Original Poster
She has a really easy going attitude shes never black bearded since i got her and she is around 2 cats and 2 dogs quite often, she loves to sit and stare out the window to bad its winter so i cant take her out but summers coming i suppose 8)

DenverDaenareys

Original Poster
Pulled my first 16 babys out of my roach colony today had 14 females and 5 males in there for 2 weeks or so. I also found 3 dead baby roaches however i think temps might of gotten to high or i didnt have enough moisture they seemed dried up. I also added 58 large nymps to the colony so hopfuly they will mature soon Daenareys is eating 15-25 3/4-1inch ones a day.

DenverDaenareys

Original Poster
Really looking forward to summer and i think Daenareys is also as she stares out the window on my bed every chance se gets. She seems facinated by the sun she'll stare at it for hours if i let her lol :roll:

DenverDaenareys

Original Poster
When i took the picture i had Daenareys at least a few inches back from Thorn who is alot smaller then her. Ive had Thorn crawling on the outside glass of Daenareys cage and she definatly tried to grab his tail but thankfuly the glass was in the way she must of thought it was a giant worm :lol: and Thorn just kinda does his own thing and doesnt react much to people/animals around him :roll: So basicly no they dont get along

BEARDIESandCOFFEE

Hatchling Member
hahaha ok. thats what i thought. i was gonna say, I've never heard of a beardie that got along with any other lizard smaller or different. LOL nice pic though :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

DenverDaenareys

Original Poster
Yeah! :mrgreen: i thought it was a awsome pic to i was very disapointed when none of my facebook friends comented or liked it lol :roll: the picture was taken when Daenareys was distracted ,but either way she doesnt pay attention to any animal unless its right up in her personal space (like thorn crawling on her cage) or running around ouside like my dogs (out of envy :angry5: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom