Temp Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what the best and most popular form of temperature monitoring is. Like what types of thermometers, what brands would you prefer, do you use rheostats..? Thanks!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
use whatever digital probe or temp gun is afordable for you, just make sure you use the device as instructed.

i use a rheostat on one of my tanks heat lamps and i want to get a couple for my other two. they work great for heat lamps and ceramic heat emmiters but you cant use them on fluorescents(when i tried it made the light dim and flicker).

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
There are actually several options.. The round dial-type gauges that the petstore sells are not accurate, at all.. What you need is a digital thermometer with a probe. The petstore sells different versions of these, made by various 'reptile companies', but you can get a good one at wal mart for $12. The one from wal mart is by far the most popular on this forum, and many other reptile forums that I have frequented. The brand is Accurite and its grey; you can find it near the small electrical and other thermometers in the store. It has a probe and a humidity gauge. I keep one in each tank, with the main part of the unit on the cool side of the tank and the probe under the basking spot. This way, I can keep a close watch on the temperature gradient.

There are also temp guns, which you aim at a particular spot and get an instant temp read-out. These are really nice, and you can find a decent priced one. If you have many cages, something like this can make your life way easier! You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on one, I have seen them in the hardware store for about $60, and I am pretty sure I saw one online, somewhere, for about $25...

mysterysock

Original Poster
So I have been using a stick on thermometer (I know bad, but it was temporary) so I bought a ZooMed probe thermometer. I placed the probe directly beside the stick on to double check, and it consistently stays about 10 degrees below the stick on reading. Even with the 75w halogen approximately 6" above him (the thermometers are right in between him and the light), the probe thermometer stays around 100, while the stick on reads 110. My beardie is perched on his log but is keeping his mouth open. Could the probe be off and it's actually hotter than read? And should I get a third one to TRIPLE check the temp? Thanks again guys.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
To take the basking spot temps, you should place the probe onto the basking area. Leave it there for at least 45 minutes for an accurate reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom